Detailed description of my Makeup/Demo Interview...LONG POST

PrettyDolledUp

Hi everyone! I had my Makeup/Demo Interview at my local MAC counter today, and let me tell you...it was nerve racking! aaahhhhh! I was sOo nervous the entire morning while I was waiting for my model (my sister in law, but I still call her my sister) to arrive at my house.

My appointment was at 11:30am, and my model arrived at my house at 11am. We got to Macy's at 11:20am, so I was 10 mins early. When I got to the counter, the counter manager was helping a customer, so she told me to look around the counter. At that moment, I took the opportunity to familiarize myself with the locations of where the products were. I made sure I knew where I'd be able to find the skincare, foundations, blush, and etc. I was also able to play around with the Neo Sci Fi collection. hehe.

Anyhow, when the manager was ready, she had my model take a seat and explained to me that she would be giving me a scenario and I had 30mins to apply the makeup on my model. She didn't have a scenario right away, so she went to the other MAs' at the counter to help her with a scenario. She ended up coming back and telling me that my scenario was..."She's a girl who is a MAC Addict and she wears a lot of bold colors, but wants something neutral, but still has a POP to it." So I thought to myself, perfect, I know what to do! The manager started to put brushes in the beaker on the table...the brushes she put were #s: 224, 129, 190, 252, 266, and I think a small lip brush. When she told me to start, I went straight for the skin care...I got strobe cream, prep + prime for the eyes and lips, and Fix+. Then I went to get the studio fix foundation in NC42 and MSF Natural in Medium Deep. I was soo nervous about the timeframe, that I went straight for the products that I was going to use on my model, that I didn't realize that I forgot to introduce myself first. lol. That's when the manager came to me and reminded me, "remember, she's an actual customer, not your sister". haha.

So with all the stuff I had, I went back to my model and introduced myself to her and got her name. From there I asked her what kind of look she was going for. She told me that she wanted a neutral look, but something with a pop to it still. I told her I was going to get the rest of the products that I was going to use on her and that I would be right back. From there, I went straight for the eyeshadows. I was thinking to myself...Okay, neutral colors but still has a pop. So the shadows that I chose were: shroom for the highlight, wedge for the crease, juxt for the lid, and charcoal brown for the outer crease.

From there, I started applying the products...I first sprayed her face with Fix +. and then I used the strobe cream. I found a petri dish first, sanitized it, and then squirted a little bit onto there. I explained to her that the strobe cream is used as a moisturizer, but it also has a pearl irridescent to it that will give her a soft glow, just like j-lo. And I told her that she has flawless skin (which she did) and that it will make her skin look softer and look pretty in sunlight and regular lights, and especially since it's almost summer time, she'll have that pretty looking natural glow. I also explained to her the kind of brush that I was using, which was 190 and how I was using that brush to apply the strobe cream, because it would give her an even finish to it. From there I let the strobe cream soak in, and while doing that, I grabbed the studio fix foundation, and poured a little bit onto the petri dish, but as I was doing that, a lot came it, and good thing I lifted it, before it made a big o' mess! eeek! haha.

When I was done with that, I started to apply the foundation on her face, I explained that I was using the 190 brush again and that the way I apply it is in one direction, because the face has small hair follicles, and if you apply the foundation in different directions, it will look caked on and kind of messy looking. So I told her by going in one direction, she'll be able to get that airbrush look. I also let her know to blend it in at the hair line and the jawline, so that it doesn't look like she's wearing a mask.

After applying the foundation, I took the MSF and applied it with the 129 brush, I explained that she can use this brush for blush, powder, or loose powder and I, myself use it on a daily basis, and it's perfect to use for pretty much any powder based product. I told her I chose Medium Deep color, because it's summer time right now and if she feels that her foundation is too light for her skin, she can add the MSF as a bronzer, since it's sheer, and continue applying until she gets the color she wants. I also told her, in order to match her foundation w/ her skin, to compare it with her shoulder and match from there. I showed her an example by lifting my shoulder next to my face. At that time, the manager was next to me, so I made sure that she heard me explaining the products to my model.

From there, the manager told me I was half way left for my time, so I quickly sanitized the eyeshadows, took the prep + prime eyebase and put some on a spatula and then on the petri dish. I took the 252 brush with the prep + prime and applied it to my model's eyelids all over. I explained the benefit of the base and that it will make the color more vibrant, make it last longer, and also prevent it from creasing throughout the day. Then I took the 224 brush, took the shroom e/s and applied it on her brow bone, and then the wedge e/s on her crease, juxt e/s on her lids...and explained that I was using the 224 brush, because it's soft and since she's going for a more neutral look, I didn't want to pack on too much e/s. I told her to keep blending and whenever I wasn't explaining what I was doing, I would have small talk with her about her MAC addiction and how long she's been collecting, if she works, and etc. etc. I also pulled a line with her while blending her e/s. I told her that I have a little boy and while I blend e/s, I think about the movie Finding Nemo, and the song that Dory sings, "just keep swimming", I sing "just keep blending, just keep blending." lol. I told her the importance of blending. From there I took the charcoal brown e/s and blended it in her outer crease and moved it upwards to her crease.

As I was done with that, the manager said I had 5 mins, so I got nervous, because I forgot to get an eyeliner, lip pencil, lipstick, and gloss, oh..and blush!. So I told my model that I was going to get more products and that I would be back. I went to get the fluidline, peachtwist blush, and a color combo from the neo sci fi collection, since it was close to me...I picked up summerfruit lipliner, sunsonic lipstick, and then soft & slow lipglass (I was such in a rush at this time). So I got the fluidline in black track, took a spatula and put a little bit on the petri dish, took the 266 brush and applied the liner. I did it simple, because I knew I didn't have enough time to make a really dramatic wing tip. Then I took the 129 brush, applied the peach twist blush and told her that this is perfect for summertime, it has a peach tone with gold shimmer and it's a sheertone, so she can apply as much or as little as she wants and it gives her a soft glow.

Then I took the prep +prime lips, cleaned it ane applied it, then I took the lipliner and wiped it clean then lined her lips and explained its from the new collection, then I took the lipstick, dipped it into alcohol and wiped it with a tissue, applied it on her lips, and then took the lipglass, got a lip wand and applied it onto her lips. I went for a more neutral look on the lips as well, since the limegreen e/s popped from her eyes. I got nervous, because I forgot the mascara, but good thing it was already in a beaker on the table. So I took the plush lash in black and showed her the brush wand and the benefits of the mascara, such as the shape and how to use it, and how it doesn't clump up even though you keep applying. I took a mascara wand, dipped it in and shimmied it on from her roots to her tip, tossed that wand and got another one, dipped it in, shimmied from root to tips, and then I was done! WHEW!

The manager looked at my final look and asked me why I chose the colors I did, so I explained to her exactly why. Then she asked if I applied any brow pencil. And I said, "No I didn't". Then she asked me what I would do to change it, and so I looked at my model and I told the manager that I would add some color and fill in her brows. (My sister has nice brows, but she has a calick, so she doesn't really have a tail to her brows). The manager told me that I had 1 min to fix it. I quickly grabbed the brow pencil in lingering and spiked. I explained to my model that this brow pencil has a waxy texture to it, so it would hold her brows in place. I then drew in her tail with lingering and defined her brow with a little bit of spiked.

The manager came back, took a look and said it looked much better. My model liked it as well! Then she explained to me that symmetry is very important when it comes to eyeshadow, she had me take a look at my model and asked if I would change anything else, I said that I should have blended in the shadow more, because there's a little bit of a harsh line, she asked me where, and then I showed her. So she had me correct it. From there, she also showed me a technique to do to blend the e/s outwards, so it looks more polished. She did it first, and then she had me copy what she did. What a difference it made! And then, she took a look again, and she said to me...about the eyeliner, remember, she's a MAC addict, so you want to put on more eyeliner and wing it out...she did it first and then had me copy her as well. So I did the other eye and mimicked the way she did the eyeliner, she came back and was pleased with what I did.

Then from there, she asked me how I would change the lips to a more bolder look. So I went to the lips area, I decided to do a hot pink bold color on her lips. So I got the lip pencil in Beet, lipstick in Girl About Town, and then I was trying to look for Pink Poodle lipglass, but I couldn't find it, so I grabbed a hot pink lipglass color from the Fafi collection. I applied it on my model, then the manager took one last look and said good. Then she told me that we were all done and to let my sister know that it's going to be about 30 mins, because we were going to meet again in her office downstairs. I let my sister know that it was going to be another 30 mins, so if she was hungry to go ahead and get some food. Before that, I also cleaned up my station...threw away the tissues that I used and put away all the products that I used.

Then the manager and I started heading downstairs to her office, as we were walking, she asked if I always talk like that when I apply make up and then she said, "cuz girl, you can open up your own makeup line." haha. I told her that I like to explain to people exactly what I'm doing and I tend to talk a lot. When we got to her office, we sat down and she asked me how I think it went...I said it was pretty good, but I was sooo nervous. She said she understood that it can be really nerve racking. haha.

So we got down to business...she let me know what she thought about how I did. She said that she liked how I communicated with the customer, how I was explaining what I was doing and at the same time it was like I was selling the product. She also said she likes how I am positive all the time, because on the floor,there may be some customers in a bad mood, and it's good to try to get them positive as well and that it's important to always be positive. She said that she likes how I can take constructive critisism, she mentioned that she had to correct me 3 times, but i took it positively and took it as a learning experience, rather than a different way. Then she said, "now let me ask you a question...why did you choose to use medium deep, instead of the actual color that matched the customer, because I was curious in knowing what you were doing..." So I explained to her, that I felt like the customer/model was the same skin tone as me and when I got matched for MSF, the MA at MAC told me that it would be good to get a shade darker, because it's summer time and if I get darker, I can just apply it on more, since it's sheertone, therefore I wouldn't have to get matched for another foundation." So then she said that she likes how I learn from others and take it in positively. And then she said that my skills for makeup are basic, but I guess I'll be learning more...so YAY!...Then she talked about other stuff, but I can't really remember everything, but when we were done she said, "Well, Congratulations, you got it!" I was sooooo shocked and suprised and sooooo excited! It really was soooo surreal! OMG! I thanked her for giving me an opportunity to meet with her and that I really appreciated everything that she has done...all the time she spent with me and all that.

So yeah...now I just have to fill out some paper work. I'm gonna meet with her next week to get the freelance papers and from there, I guess we're just going to wait for the paper work to go through. I also asked her if I would be doing Freelance or On-call and what the difference was...She said that I would be doing both...Freelance is when they call me in for events, so there's appointments after appointments, and Oncall is when they call me to help around the counter, such as stocking, cleaning up, and etc. She also mentioned that it would be managers that would be contacting me and I would have to ask them if it's for freelance or oncall, but she would explain that to me later. So again, I thanked her and told her I would see her next week. Then we were on our way!

So yeah....WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! I hope this helped you guys out a bit! I've been wanting sooo bad to work for MAC, and finally I got it! Now it's paperwork time! hehe. I suggest to many of you readers out there, if you want to work for MAC, drop in your resume to a manager and try to start off as a freelancer or oncall...it doesn't hurt to try. I didn't even expect to get hired this quickly! So you never know!

Alrighty then....Take Care everybody! And I hope you enjoyed reading this LONNNNGGGGGGGG POST!
th_DANCE.gif

PrettyDolledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby
Congrats!! YAY!!!

Do you have to know how to do face charts?? I suck at face charts.
ssad.gif

Hi Stephie Baby,

She didn't mention anything about doing face charts...so I don't think you do. hehe. I guess all you need to know is the basics to apply makeup.

raphdiaz

wow,thank you for sharing all the details with me.that is amazing and it seems you have such the personality that will enhance any job that you get.good luck and i really see you moving up in the company very fast.i would love to be one of your co-workers.

PrettyDolledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychik02
Wow, thank you for the encouraging post! I sent in my resume today.

you're welcome! and good luck to you!
yes.gif

babyjazy21

Wow thank you so much for all the great info. I always wanted to know details like those! I submitted my resume today but not to the main manager it was to the third key holder so hopefully they give me a call. I've always wanted to work at MAC but then again who doesnt right? lol. Anyways congrats girl!!
th_DANCE.gif

crissy22

Loved your post.. Congrats!! Seems like you did wonderful!!... Now let us know how your first day at work goes
winks.gif

PrettyDolledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudoirblonde
ohh yay
greengrin.gif

how exciting!!
Hopefully the paperwork doesnt take too long!

I filled out all the paperwork this past Tuesday, the 10th of June and they said that it usually takes 2 weeks for the paperwork to go through and they put me down to start as a freelancer on July 5th. Hopefully they'll have hours after that time in my region!
th_DANCE.gif

jpohrer

Congrats! You did a great job on your write-up! Could you share the manager's outer corner blending technique?

Latest posts