Do You Have A Friends That?

Mac2Perfection

Do you have friends that support you with your addiction especially collecting makeup..I since have been just collecting MAC and it's all I ever spend my money on..I sometimes buy clothes and things..but I sacrifice going out and having fun when makeup makes me happy...I posted this thread because I just got a status comment on my myspace in response to post my newly updated collection (which there is a link on the bottom of the signature) where my friend, I thought she was my friend, posted you better use that or it will expire real quick,,or she'll go to my boyfriend and ask him "why does Brandy buy all that makeup", or "it's going to expire"..My boyfriend is the only one who supports me..why do you think people act like that?? Should I associate with people like this?? What should my response be to people who say that will expire...?? Thanks guys

MACATTAK

Your response should be that they should mind their own business. It's your money, you earned it. I'm assuming you didn't steal the money or the makeup, and it is up to you on how you spend YOUR money. If this friend ever asks you to use any of your makeup, or do her makeup, make sure you let her know "It's expired."

Mac2Perfection

Haha I love that response...well I think why she thinks that is because we are in the same field..I just hate it if I get a good deal at the CCO or get the latest at MAC..I tell my friends and they're like oh thats cool

aussiemacluvrrr

I have friends and worse, family, that are like this. My mother is constantly giving me grief over my makeup collection and my sister just thinks I am insane. My friends are slightly more understanding (because they like it when I do their makeup for free and use all the latest products on them!!) but generally people think I am a little nuts for spending so much money on makeup!

I tend to ignore people like that. Like you, my boyfriend is the only one that supports me (he just built me a makeup table and draws to store it all
greengrin.gif
!!). I think its just best not to even acknowledge people like that, or if I do say something, I just ask them how much money they spend on alcohol or smoking or their shoes/clothing/handbag stash, and they generally shut up pretty quick :p haha

MACATTAK

I think it's one thing if she is asking about the expiring aspect because she really wants to know, but if she is asking multiple times and even asking your BF then it's just sounds judgmental; and again it's really not her business.

Mac2Perfection

Yeah my sister she likes MAC and she wears makeup more than me and she and my mom think i'm both nuts, but my mom thinks its cool that I like makeup..but they also thought i was nuts because I have the whole secret garden collection from victoria secret..I mean what's wrong with looking good and smelling pretty....and I hate when they do oh you got perfect skin..you don't need makeup..and I'm like yeah wait til you see my makeup collection..haha

kaliraksha

I have a friend who started like that and now she's worse than I am! Except her line was "I don't need all that makeup to make myself look good." If it were directed to me, I would answer that question with how I honestly feel about having all that makeup that could go bad. I feel like I take care of my products really well and I use clean brushes every time so I minimalize bacteria transfer/growth.

gildedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2Perfection
But does all the MAC products have expiration dates..I know the lippies do..what about eyeshadows or pigments??

Everything has a certain shelf life; but if you take good care of your makeup and store it properly it can last a lot longer.

I am sorry that your friend is such a buttface about your collecting makeup, you should tell her to mind her own business. I don't even bother telling my family about it, my friends are apathetic so I don't really discuss it with them (although I will do their makeup). My bf supports me though, he is the best!

Mac2Perfection

Well I think I store my makeup well and its stored in a dry place and I santize the products every month..Why does it always seem that boyfriends will support us even no matter what..we got some good men hehe..btw kaliraksha..your really pretty btw..

Kragey

I posted my makeup collection on YouTube recently. I think I will just copy and paste some of the information from the sidebar here, since that pretty much encompasses my opinion on it.

"I don't understand why people are so OFFENDED by makeup collection videos. If you don't want to watch it, there should be a little red square or circle at the top of your web browser, and if you click that, you will close this window. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you watch this video.

Now, I think what really "bothers" people is the idea that I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on this stuff, but I "never use it." First of all, if OTHER people HAVE spent thousands and thousands of dollars on their makeup, that's their business and their money.

Secondly, to the people who freak out because "make-up is not a necessity:" if you are on YouTube, there's a good chance that you own a computer and have internet access. Think about that.

Thirdly, lots of people buy stuff that's expensive or that they don't use every day. Video gamers don't play all of their $50-a-piece games every day. Plenty of people buy $20,000 cars when a $10,000 car will do the same damn thing. Lots of people have cellphones, more than one pair of shoes, a television, tons and tons of books...people who love make-up are not the only people who spend money, and people who love make-up do spend money on other things.

On a slightly less bitchy note, I think a lot of people overestimate the cost of my makeup collection. SOME people have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on their collections, but I am not one of them. I would say about 2/3 of my makeup cost me absolutely nothing. I got it from friends or family, people sent it to me when they didn't want it, it was free, I had a gift card...so on and so on. The other 1/3, I paid maybe $500 for; that would be primarily my pigments, I bought almost all of those myself. I am really thrifty and I hate to waste things, so that $500 is about 5+ years of saving my pocket cash, working REALLY hard, looking for sales or the best product for the lowest price, so on and so on. My parents didn't pay for it, it's my money that I earned; also, no, I am not taking money that should go to stuff like my water bill or my education and buying lipstick with it. That's really not how it works.

By the way, I do use stuff up. Quite often. I've had to buy second copies of a decent number of things because I used my first tube or container of that product up. And again, I am a total cheapskate; I'm not going to waste money on something I won't use just so I can "brag."

In summary: I worked really hard and saved up for my iPod, which I've had for 3 years--again, I don't waste things--and it cost me about $500, including the warranty, the wall charger, and the protective covers I use. My dad bought me a nice hard case as a gift. Nobody demonizes me for spending $500 of my money on an iPod. Just sayin'."

nursee81

People just have nothing better to do than talk smack. I think that alot of people don't us who like make up. I wish my friends would be more into MU so I could have someone to share my passion and fun with.

snowflakelashes

And that's why we have specktra to share our love of makeup. None of my friends are into it the same way I am. I have acquaintances that are somewhat into it. But generally my friends know to leave it alone, I hid my collection from them for a long time then one day just left it out in the living room I was surprised and relieved that none of them (at least outwardly) judged me for it. I DO have so much makeup that I will never use all of it up. But I enjoy it. And it helps cheer me up when I am down, helps give me energy when I am tired
smiles.gif

smellyocheese

we're here! we're your makeup addict friends!
greengrin.gif

most of my college friends couldn't be bothered much about makeup and all. When I started blogging I made new friends and from online friends they became "real" friends who share my passion

as for people who criticize, they're mostly just jealous

Babylard

oh, i totally join the team mac boyfriends! my bf is very generous too, and he supports my love for makeup in general, so i am thankful for that.

however, everyone that knows about my stash thinks im totally insane. and my mother... well... she lets me have my fun......... lol but yeah she does keep telling me to stop buying because it will expire.

i am greatful that i have found a few friends that like mac as much as i do. my friend (she works at sephora) and i are always gabbing over cosmetics over msn since i am away from my hometown for school. and i also found a fellow specktra, gigglegirl and she loves mac as much as i do
greengrin.gif

so yeah there are always trolls who like to hate... its either a jealousy thing, self conscious thing (maybe she has to attack u for something cuz she feels inferior?)... but you have the right to tell people to fuck off

Ambonee

Hi Brandy!!! *waves*

I have eye shadows that are WAY old! At least 10 years old. But it was never used wet so it's still PERFECT! and pigments the same, really old ones that still smell just fine and apply like a dream!

The only thing I've had go bad is a few lip glosses and whats weird is they were fairly newer (from the N collection) yet my lippies from the lure collection which is much older smell just like the day I bought them...and a few lipsticks (older packaging) have gone bad, but that's it.

Shadows and anything dry just keep moisture away from it. And with lip products just make sure you always have clean lips
smiles.gif
If it smells funny toss it in with your B2M's
tong.gif

My friends all know how happy makeup makes me and fortunately they don't judge me! I am so lucky to have them because I know my friends from high school would have been all over me about it...:/ And put another one down for "Team MAC boyfriend" lol! my babe is wonderful been putting up with my addiction for 8 and a half years!

krijsten

I don't really have any friends who are as interested as me! I have one who is kinda getting into it, but we don't live near eachother
ssad.gif

My sister is super jealous, and is all "kristen don't you spend your money on anything else!" or my grandma says the odd "it expires and germs get into your eyes and you get infections!", and i'm all "uh How do you look after your makeup?"

My boyfriend is great! We have a long distance relationship, and sometimes we're online and all I want to talk to him about is "THE NEW PRODUCT I BOUGHT." or "THE NEW PRODUCT I FOUND!". Its cute because he'll listen, and even converse with me! He probably knows more then most boys.

But any Vancouver girls want to be makeup buds! Please contact me, I'd love to meet some new friends. Even if your not from Vancouver! I'm always into talking to people with most def the same interest!

GlamQueen21

My uncle's fiancee is a MAC addict too just like me. I'm so glad to find someone in real life that's into MAC as much as I am. I thought I was the only family member that's a total MAC addict. I hate it when my mom criticizes me that I buy too much MAC that I don't need anymore.

Boasorte

I hate the "You don't makeup to make ur self pretty" talk.
Like um, stfu I like the colors, and seeing the creativness I can come up with, not to hide my insecruites.

The other day my friend comes to my house , sees my brushes and goes "why do you need all those brushes? Do you sit in ur room all day and play with makeup?"
No I don't, I have a life, and even if I did, none of your business, why can't I spend $180 on a collection I saved for, but u can drop the same price on some ugly ass Uggs and think that's different? NO ITS NOT

MizzTropical

That's funny I have like the whole VS Scerect Garden collection like you said too lol atleast I know I'm not the only one now! My family and bf can't believe I'd rather spend my money on makeup and perfume then actually going out with the $$$ or something lol but they don't say things like ''it's going to expire''. They just say things like ''I don't even treat myself with things like that...'' I think I've actually inspired them to indulge themselves a lil more lol. It's a good thing to treat urself to nice stuff!

Latest posts