Dr.Phil's controversial new show

MarniMac

I just saw an ad for a new Dr. Phil show to be aired next week in which a mother is accusing her husband/boyfriend (?) of molesting their child. They showed really emotionally intense scenes with the 3 yr. old girl crying and saying that he hurt her. I remember a similarly disturbing story being aired a couple of years ago about a brother who molested his baby sister. Does anybody else think that it is ENTIRELY innapropriate for this type of show to be aired? It seems like if a family needs this type of help, they should get it privately, as to not traumatize the child. I'm starting to think that Dr. Phil is turning into Jerry Springer...using sensational topics to bring in numbers...but even worse, he is exploiting a potentially abused child for his own gain, which makes me really angry. What do you guys think?

Beauty Mark

I think most of those shows are terrible, because why would anyone think it's appropriate to confront your problems in front of God knows how many people? I'd be embarassed, as would my family. I think it's more damaging than anything.

I find it irresponsible of a doctor to do that. That child, I can't imagine the trauma of the events happening, let alone having to discuss them in front of many people. Also, let's say the alleged abuser is innocent. A label like child molester can be very dangerous if people believe it, even if you're 100% innocent.

d_flawless

it's sad to think that she was so scared to confront him that she would go on national tv and do so...

katisha

I think it is highly inappropriate and should not be aired. At the very least, they should have disguised the identity of the child and/or parents. Disgraceful, sensationalist TV for the sake of ratings.

Shawna

First, let me say that as a person that has taken numerous child care courses, and works in that field that this is totally inappropriate. I don't even want to start to think of the emotional problems that child is going to have following this debacle. Second, I am concerned that if little Timmy sees that it is ok for little Janey to go live on television with a supposed problem, what is to stop little Timmy from accusing his parents with abuse when he is mad at them. When you make a huge problem entertaining, people don't see it as a problem anymore. I knew a girl in school that accused her dad of raping her because he grounded her and she was mad. This tv show is exactly the sort of thing that encourages that kind of behaviour. I cannot believe that they would allow this crap on television.

MarniMac

I am so glad you guys agree. I wish there was something I could do about this, other than boycott Dr. Phil for airing this kind of show, but honestly the mother of the child is responsible for writing in, asking to be on the show, and then agreeing to show her childs face.
nonono.gif
I mean, she doesn't need to go on the show to get help for her baby! Some people suck at being parents!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Ive never really did like Dr Phill.. Hes not even a real doctor.. (duh)
his wife left him.. and he trys to give people marriage advice? No. I dont think so.he bugs me. and always has.
but back on topic. I agree that this is unappropriate.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
I am so glad you guys agree. I wish there was something I could do about this, other than boycott Dr. Phil for airing this kind of show, but honestly the mother of the child is responsible for writing in, asking to be on the show, and then agreeing to show her childs face. I mean, she doesn't need to go on the show to get help for her baby! Some people suck at being parents!

I don't know if it would help, but maybe write editorials to the newspaper about the danger of these shows? It would at least get a few more people to start thinking.

I wish some talk show host or legit news reporter would cover the dangers of these shows. You'd think that one Jenny Jones incident would show how dangerous things can be.

It's so sad what people will do for their 15 min. of fame.

tokyo_juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
Ive never really did like Dr Phill.. Hes not even a real doctor.. (duh)
his wife left him.. and he trys to give people marriage advice? No. I dont think so.he bugs me. and always has.
but back on topic. I agree that this is unappropriate.

His wife left him? I thought he's married to his wife still? Sorry if I don't know.

Beauty Mark

I actually don't have a real problem that his wife left him. Shit happens, and marriage involves two people.

What bothers me the most about Dr. Phil over Jerry Springer is that people take him seriously. Jerry Springer is a joke. It's damaging to the people who go on that show (if they aren't acting- I think they are), but the damage stays with just those people. I see Dr. Phil as being more dangerous. If a "doctor" thinks it's fine for people to air that kind of business in public, he's setting a bad example for everyone else. He has some pretty extreme followers, too, who think his word is the gospel.

Sometimes, he does give okay advice, but I think he's too dangerous to give him a pass.

YvetteJeannine

So what kind of "Dr" is he??? Is he a Psychologist with a PhD??? I mean, theoretically, if he does have a PhD, he can call himself a 'Doctor'....but he's NOT a medical doctor...I wonder if many people know that.....

MxAxC-_ATTACK

I dunno. Hes some sort of doctor that has nothing to do with what hes doing. at least thats what I heard on TV. But then again you cant believe stuff on tv most of the time

Shimmer

He's a doctor, he earned the privilege of being called doctor.

Instead of lambasting him why isn't anyone saying anything about the parents who obviously called his show?

Beauty Mark

I have issues with both parties (if I had my way, any parent who drags their underage child onto any talkshow for them to "confront" their problems would have to deal with Child Services), but I think because Dr. Phil has a doctorate, he should know better than to allow them to be on his show.

How does his show work exactly? At the end, do they do list a number for you to call if you have x issue or what?

MarniMac

Shimmer said: Quote:
Instead of lambasting him why isn't anyone saying anything about the parents who obviously called his show?

I did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarniMac
I am so glad you guys agree. I wish there was something I could do about this, other than boycott Dr. Phil for airing this kind of show, but honestly the mother of the child is responsible for writing in, asking to be on the show, and then agreeing to show her childs face.
nonono.gif
I mean, she doesn't need to go on the show to get help for her baby! Some people suck at being parents!

Latest posts