Dr.Phil's controversial new show

thestarsfall

It's sad...cuz this is passing as entertainment. Ppl dont watch Dr. Phil for 'great advice' or whatever...They watch it cuz its entertainment. (Well...okay...it is sometimes fun to watch ppl who have a life worse than you...it puts your life into perspective I guess..) It is wrong to air something this personal and detrimental to the child.

A former pastor of my church came forward a couple years ago saying that he had sexually assaulted some ppl when he was serving (which was like...1980 or so). Everyone who was part of like nursery, or sundayschool, or youth group or whatever had to attend these seminars on sexual assault prevention in a church setting and all these new rules came into effect. However, the victim(s) name(s) were NEVER mentioned. I am sure ppl were wondering...but still...it is not necessary for ppl to know whats going on to do somehting about it.

I think it would have been better if Dr. Phil did like a special on sexual abuse without having actual personal cases. He could talk to like other 'authorities' on the subject and the effects it causes in kids or in teens or whatever...

MarniMac

I agree with you, "thestarsfall", if he really wanted to help families like this one, he could do it privately, without televising it. And then do a very general show on the topic, without showing children's faces or bringing the families on to argue about it on national tv. If he had any moral balls, lol, he wouldn't make it "personal", but obviously it is just entertainment (very, very immoral entertainment at that). I guess its this kind of crap that explains the fued between Phil and Oprah, lol.

thestarsfall

I am semi-listening to the show cuz my roomate watches Dr Phil while making dinner...

I came in halfway...and they are using a polygraph?!!!! wtf!!!?

Those things are easy to falsify (just bite your tongue on the control questions...) and they sometimes say negatives (ie: lying) for truthful answers...its not accurate..

My psych class was advised to never offer to take a polygraph test to prove your innocence because, i think it was 1/3, of the tests show you as guilty...

Dark_Phoenix

Drsfeelandphil.jpg

I prefer Dr. Feel (on the right).

His show is addictive at times, like a trainwreck that you don't want to stare at but can't look away. I just think it's disgusting that he reveals the faces of minors, even if the parents give the okay for it. I'd hate to be that kid trying to find a job one day "Hey! Weren't you on Dr. Phil back in 2006? I remember you!!". If the parents want to say who they are, whatever. But not their children.

CantAffordMAC

I don't see it as being too wrong. I mean these are the types of shows I watch all the time, and I'd much rather watch this show than a Dr. Phil show where they talk about husbands being obsessed with football or something. Maybe they shouldn't air their business, but they chose to. I dunno, like I said, I can't say too much about it because I think these shows are interesting (sick, but still)

gigglegirl

I guess I'm in the minority--He has a PHD therefore is a doctor.

When I've watched episodes involving any minor (even 14, or 16 yr olds) he seems very careful to not bring them out in a chaos bickering situation on stage. Normally he just interviews them behind the scenes, tries to make them comfortable. So I guess there still is the slight issue about it being televised around the world but otherwise I'm fine with it, b/c if I hear ppl have gone through similar issues like me for whatever the issue is, I know I'm not alone.

tara_hearts

The mother needs to go to the POLICE. Not Dr. Phil. What a load of crap. I wish there was a law that could protect that poor child against her mother doing this to her. Sick.