Ever gotten wrongly matched?

s0xjuicy

So, I'm a complete make-up n00b, and I wanted to look into getting foundation, and I thought it would be better for me to get matched for foundation @ MAC than going to a drugstore and trying to choose the right colour, but I was wondering, has anyone gotten wrongly matched for foundation at MAC?

macmistress

Yeah just last week in dubai! I am originally an NC35-NC37 and even that is a little dark for my skin but she tested me for an NC42! Then We settled on a NC37. I am pretty miffed cos I bought the Studio mist and both are just wrong colours. I cant wear em cos I look tooo orange. On top of that (my undereye isnt bad,even if i say so myself!) she gave me a 2 shades darker for my concelaor which fit perfectly for my sister in law but not me.

Really sad man i swear - i feel so gutted.

macmistress

oh and dont let that put u off. The ladies at manch selfridges mac counter are cool..well janice is nice. book a £25 consultation n they will really give you attention and TLC. for ure face that is
tong.gif

Simply Elegant

I was matched to a NC25 in SFF but it's 2 shades off from what I really am. To give her credit though, I ran out of foundation and had to wear a slightly darker one because I didn't want to go without but I told her that.

iluffyew769769

I have been mismatched. MAC always matches me a little to dark. I found a lancome that matches perfectly (and doesn't make me break out.) So I usually stick to that!

KimmyAnn_678

It can be hard to match in some department stores due to the lights, and foundations can change colors after you wear them for awhile anyways. I'd recommend if at all possible to get a sample and wear it and check the color and how it feels on you throughout the day before buying one
smiles.gif

LAW0MAN

oh yes, for my mineralized satin finish nw20

i tought i looked flawless, by the second time i wore it i noticed...

so i took a wet towel and wiped it across my cheeks and middle of my jaw line and sure enough too dark! in studio tech im nc 20 and its perfect perfect! soo yeah im not sure what to do with my mineralized foundation.. and i dont wanna throw it away or just not use it because thats 25.50 plus tax..

so anyone have an idea on how i can brighten it up? thanks!
winks.gif

sofabean

when i got matched for my foundation, the MA put a few different shades on the side of my lower cheek near my jawline and that's how she found my shade. she did start off too dark, but went lighter.

coachkitten

I always get matched at NW20 but I swear that it is too dark for me. My MA (who I trust) always matches me darker than what I think I am. I prefer NW15 though. It just looks a lot more natural.

kaexbabey

i luckily, have not. it really comes down to your own judgement. i'm nc40 in the summer and when i went in for my winter foundation, i wanted to try nc37. the MA said she thought i should stick with nc40, but when i let the nc37 settle in while i was looking at the other stuff at MAC, nc37 was right
smiles.gif
try to go during the day so if you have to, you can look at how it looks outside.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW0MAN
oh yes, for my mineralized satin finish nw20

i tought i looked flawless, by the second time i wore it i noticed...

so i took a wet towel and wiped it across my cheeks and middle of my jaw line and sure enough too dark! in studio tech im nc 20 and its perfect perfect! soo yeah im not sure what to do with my mineralized foundation.. and i dont wanna throw it away or just not use it because thats 25.50 plus tax..

so anyone have an idea on how i can brighten it up? thanks!
winks.gif

depending on how much is used, take it back and exchange it for the right color.

xtinemelanie

omg YES -- i think it happened twice. The lighting in the store is completely different at home and out in the sun. The MA ended up giving me foundation that was too orange for me. I even said it didn't look right, but she *insisted* that it totally matched. at least it can be returned if its the wrong color!

good luck!
smiles.gif

macmistress

they really should not have that lighting. i dont care just change it really. its wrong to decieve people..you can tell im still mad.

melliquor

MAs always have trouble matching me because I have pink and yellow undertones. Some say that I am warm and then some say cool. I prefer using warm foundation. Also matching my skintone is a bit difficult. I am a NW20 and was given a NC30 for the tint. It is way too dark for me. I still have the full bottle in there unused.

I have been wanting to try Moistureblend but am always scared of getting mismatched.

KimmyAnn_678

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmistress
they really should not have that lighting. i dont care just change it really. its wrong to decieve people..you can tell im still mad.

It's not just the lighting in department stores though... your foundation will look different at home, in natural light, in the lights where you work. Terrible, huh LOL
smiles.gif
My foundation looks great at work and at home, but in natural light it just doesn't do it for me... but since the only time I'm outside with a full face of make up on is on the way to work, to the store and such, I live with it
smiles.gif

macmistress

i disagree ^^

Every single person even the MA's have said that we suggest that you try in natural light and thats when ure foundation is correct. the lighting makes u look even if you have the crappest slap' on ure face..(self experience) .

The lighting enhances ure features..no matter what, but its totally decieving when in daylight or at home.

Paramnesia

Oh department store lighting is BAD. I'd suggest getting a MA to match you then see how it looks throughout the day before buying. Also ask for a sample, then you can see how you got applying the product and whether it makes you breakout.

Ikara

Well... yesterday I went to sephora to buy foundation, not mac, but maybe this can help.. I picked the colors that best matched the skin on the back of my hand (right now is the same color as my face... summer may change that hehehehe) so I took a bit of the two best matching colors and applied on my face, really close to the jaw line, and about 20 mins later I checked the color in the sunlight, and volià there was a weird patch and my perfect match! hahahah

stacylynne

OK. the lights @ dept. stores are florescent. I would swatch 3 colors. walk around wait about 30 min. go outside with a mirror in natural light & see which color blends with your skin tone. If you have oily skin, the foundation will get darker on you. I match my skintone exactly. I'm a NC27.
I was always told I was darker. I tell them NO. this is my color. They tell me i'm a NW. I told them NO. I bring them outside with me in natural light & they finally agree with me. It takes some time trial & error.

I strongly suggest go outside in natural light to test foundations.