Experts warn trendy ballet pumps can damage girls' feet

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Evening Standard
The fashion for ballet pumps as streetwear could have damaging long-term effects for feet, experts have warned.

Teenage girls and women in their 20s are developing painful corns and callouses - normally only seen in much older women.

Full story

Cinammonkisses

I personally hate these shoes, but I know quite a few girls who wear them. I will be directing them to this link. Thanks!

semtexgirl

Hmmm....in flats?? I could understand this happening with high heels but how tight would you have to wear a pair of ballet flats to injure your feet? The only discomfort I experience when wearing them is that my calves get sore after a lot of walking, probrably because I have really high arches.

Dark_Phoenix

Whatever. No extreme is good. Flat or high.

Remember, like all things in life, your shoes must be worn with moderation
lmao.gif

Beauty Mark

It seems like it would be a problem with most slide on shoes, like article noted. When I look at ballet flats (calling them pumps confused me; I thought they meant heels), they don't seem to offer a lot of arch support, either.

The article's points, if you didn't read it, were the following:
-People tend to buy ballet flats in a size too small to keep them on their feet. Shoes that are too small cause problems.
-People who buy them in a normal size walk in a bad way that ruins their feet, too. They walk differently, because the shoes easily come off.
-The shoes are aging your feet faster than they should.

Kimberleigh

I have to buy my flats 1/2 size too small for the reasons that they listed. With that being said, I don't wear the 4 or 5 pairs I have every single day. I have a LOT more shoes than that (as my husband can attest to!). I'd like to know the number of days a week the girls were wearing their flats to get these kinds of "injuries"...Once a week, twice a week, every single day?

Like someone before me said, all in moderation.

sassygirl224

i buy them in my correct size. and although they do slide off easily, i bought heal cushions, and it helps it from sliding off at all. and it doesn't make the shoe fit tighter either. i wear them all the time and have no problem whatsoever

dmenchi

OMG!
smiles.gif
this is rediculus, should we were sneakers all the time or orthopedic shoes??? I have to wear heals everyday & i know that's bad....but come on, now flats? I already quit smocking-that's my deet for my health! lol

Treejewel19

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtexgirl
Hmmm....in flats?? I could understand this happening with high heels but how tight would you have to wear a pair of ballet flats to injure your feet? The only discomfort I experience when wearing them is that my calves get sore after a lot of walking, probrably because I have really high arches.

I would strongly recommend you to stop wearing such flats then with no arch support. I used to have high arches and after several years of wearing flip flops etc with no arch support I now have lots of foot comfort issues (which my doctor also stated is a result of fashionable flats).

Just thought I would give a heads up!

rebekah

why on earth do they keep calling them ballet ''pumps'' , how are these pumps?

that doesn't make since to me, ''pumps'' mean high-heels ...

user79

I think wearing ballet flats is much better than wearing high heels. And it really depends on the fit of the shoes, if it's a good fit it wouldn't slip off.

I wore high heels for a loooong day once, like over 12 hours, was standing a lot, and at the end of the day my feet were in so much pain, I realized how unhealthy it must be. Ugh. Flat shoes over heels anyday!

DropDeadDarling

My ballet flats fit me fine...I bought them in my size & they don't slip off at all. They're perfect. [They're from UrbanOutfitters.com if anyone is interested in buying some that fit nicely. :])

MisStarrlight

Pretty much all shoes (that aren't ugly or sneakers) are bad for you. I say just screw it all & go barefoot for the rest of our lives.

starline

"The problem is that they have to be so small because otherwise they would fall off - there is nothing to hold them on the foot. It means that women are squashing their toes into the front of the shoe, causing corns and callouses.'

Well I don't agree. I have that type of shoes and they are very comfortable! I do not squash my toes and the shooes do not fall off!!!!

Latest posts