Expired make up?

starraffy

How would you know if a make up (all make up) is expired?

Just want to hear your thoughts and experiences on this. Some of my make up lasts more than a year, can't consume it fast as there are times I don't put make up :)

katred

Specktra Bestie
I'm not sure how you tell with powders, because I always keep mine, but I know lipsticks and gloss will start to smell like waxy crayons when they go off.

shellygrrl

Staff member
For liquid foundations, you may see some separation, particularly ones that are just water-based (e.g., MAC Face and Body). Other products you can tell by the way it smells, like katred pointed out. Sometimes it may colour shift. For powders they may just go dry on you. (I had an eyeshadow do that.) That said, they do tend to last the longest time.

starraffy

For powders they may just go dry on you. (I had an eyeshadow do that.) That said, they do tend to last the longest time.
I've seen foundation like this , just like in spoiled milk. In Mascara i its dry already? Thanks! time to check expired make ups :)

shellygrrl

Staff member
Some mascaras have a dry formula to start with anyway, so that's not always the best indicator, IMO. For those it's better to go with the "toss after three to six months" rule of thumb.

macnc50diva

Look up the 3 digit batch code online and you will find out when it's actually considered expired. Otherwise, like these folks said when it smells and/or color and consistency are off, it's done. Mascara I believe after opening only has a 3 month shelf life so it may not smell but should be changed according to most brands. Yes I know they want you to buy more but what's nicer than a fresh new mascara?

niccig

For basically all makeup, if the smell, texture, color or consistency changes very much I assume it's expired and toss it. Or if there's something obviously wrong, like when I noticed a spot of mold in one of my cream blushes.

macnc50diva

For basically all makeup, if the smell, texture, color or consistency changes very much I assume it's expired and toss it. Or if there's something obviously wrong, like when I noticed a spot of mold in one of my cream blushes.
Omg! That happens?!

User38

lmao

mold?

now that must be really old!

I have mu from 15 years ago and some older -- I don't use it but keep it for ref purposes.. but none of it has mold.

creams are more dangerous and more susceptible to bacteria, lipsticks, glosses, mascara,

and what is up with my font being underline.. lol

Jaymuhlee

I just searched for the word "mold" on the forum because I'm almost 100% positive that's what this is. On a tube that's less than a month old (bought it a few weeks ago)!

I'm going to return it either way. I swatched it once when I first got it without twisting up completely and I was so grossed out to find this yesterday!

allthingsglam

I just searched for the word "mold" on the forum because I'm almost 100% positive that's what this is. On a tube that's less than a month old (bought it a few weeks ago)!       I'm going to return it either way. I swatched it once when I first got it without twisting up completely and I was so grossed out to find this yesterday!
Omg that looks gross and only a month old company's be selling old makeup I ordered a tom ford ls from Nordstrom and it was ratchet old

allthingsglam

Isn't it awful?! I'm sorry it happened to you too. Did you return it (and, if so, was it a hassle?)?
I return it no they just got me my money back but i did for a second not like Tf makeup but I realize it could have been any brand lol since then I have brought the Tom ford eye and cheek pallete and I love it

erine1881

I just searched for the word "mold" on the forum because I'm almost 100% positive that's what this is. On a tube that's less than a month old (bought it a few weeks ago)!       I'm going to return it either way. I swatched it once when I first got it without twisting up completely and I was so grossed out to find this yesterday!
That's not mold. It's what i call "snow". It happens when the product is exposed to extreme temperature fluctuations. It happens to lustre lipsticks and lips and eye pencils mostly.

User38

That's not mold. It's what i call "snow". It happens when the product is exposed to extreme temperature fluctuations. It happens to lustre lipsticks and lips and eye pencils mostly.
th_worship.gif

Jaymuhlee

Whatever it was, it went back. The weather has been off (to say the least) but not enough to warrant that in less than a month's time IMO.

Latest posts