Eye Primer for Mineral Eyeshadow

alien21xx

I'd just like to know what eye primer you guys are using (if any) to make the mineral eyeshadows stick. I just recently received my Pure Luxe samples and the fallout was crazy even though I used UDPP, did my best to shake out excess powder, used patting motions to apply, etc. It was so bad I even had eyeshadow on my clothes.
ssad.gif
I didn't experience this at all with MAC pigments and any other loose powder eyeshadow, so maybe I need to get some sort of primer or change something in my make-up routine?

Please help! Thanks!

astronaut

I know the exact problem. Pure Luxe shadows just suck. They really do. The only way you can make them show is to use them wet, but not just wet, because once it dries, the shadow just crumbles off. So you'll have to use them wet specifically with a mixing medium (because it's sort of sticky). I've used Aromaleigh and Alima mineral shadows with UDPP, paint pots, and Too Faced Herbal Eye concealer and have not had a problem with them being used dry. I've tried Pure Luxe and it wouldn't even stick to UDPP which is supposed to be like cement! Pure Luxe is just a horrible product.

jdepp_84

Ive worn BE shadows and the thing that I use is UDDP so I dont know, sorry
ssad.gif

I know what you mean about fallout so I just wear a dirty shirt when im going to use them and then change afterwards. Also, maybe do your eyemakeup before your face? Try and play around with it. Ive never used the Pureluxe shadows, maybe they just suck? I dont know, sorry
ssad.gif

jenii

I'm gonna jump on the "Pure Luxe sucks" wagon, here. I hate their eyeshadows. So awful.

UDPP should work underneath mineral e/s. My favorite mineral e/s is by Fyrinnae, and Alima's also good.

wolfsong

I dont want to make a new thread for this:
Could anyone tell me if fyrinnae e/s are easy to apply? (As in can you just apply like normal loose e/s, or do you need to do the 'patting' application that the website talks about?) I hate 'patting' e/s on! Hows the staying power also?
TIA

alien21xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsong
I dont want to make a new thread for this:
Could anyone tell me if fyrinnae e/s are easy to apply? (As in can you just apply like normal loose e/s, or do you need to do the 'patting' application that the website talks about?) I hate 'patting' e/s on! Hows the staying power also?
TIA

Hi Wolfsong, sorry this is such a late reply. Anyway, Fyrinnae e/s easier to apply than Pure Luxe, i.e. they stick to your lids when you use a good primer. However to avoid having the powder, which is very fine, from spraying all over your face, you still need to pat it on your lids instead of swiping your brush across your skin. I find that Fyrinnae e/s are more finely-milled than other mineral shadows but they stick very well and stays on for the whole day. Doesn't migrate at all!
smiles.gif

user79

I've had mixed results with Fyrinnae. I don't find they spread, blend, or stay on as well as most MAC shadows, as a comparison. Especially the more sparkly ones don't really stick or last at all, even using primer. I dunno, I hardly use my Fyrinnae ones anymore, I prefer MAC's.

wolfsong

Thanks for the replies! Moon Child, Awakening (so beautiful with Moon Child for those with blue eyes), Mermen and Shallow Sleep (basically all I’ve tried so far) I’ve learnt are wonderful. They - and some of MAC's - have that texture that always makes me think they should feel damp - like soil (peat variety).

I’ve just received my big order of samples from The She Space cosmetics, gifts and e-zine AKA About Face and so far am very impressed - and relieved - by their quality and quantity (12 free samples! Sample size like Pure Luxe)

They look and feel like a silky version of Pure Luxe (or decanted they look more like fyrinnae) shadows, so i wasn’t expecting them to stay put at all, but on bare eyelids they are as perfect as when i applied them several hours ago (no creasing or need for touch ups - and my eyes were tearing when i watched 'never mind the buzzcocks' earlier).
They go on so softly and blend well - beautiful colours too, though one flaw is there is only one matte: white - others are variations of shimmer/glow/pearl/glitter pigments (no big glitter particles that I've seen, except for the 'Diamond Dusts' which I’ve had no fallout from on a bare wrist). I will be posting reviews of a selection of samples I’ve received in the review section of the board, as well as an overall review and swatches on a thread i started about them.

The owner used to run Twisted Fayte cosmetics, which you can view comments (all positive, that I've seen) and FOTD's on specktra and MUA.

I think the website for About Face is down at the mo though:

The She Space cosmetics, gifts and e-zine

Edit: Just realised this has nothing to do with the thread topic, sorry!
To make up for the last bit a little: I use MAC paintstick applied thinly as a base - it sticks loose shadows on like nothing else I've tried, and its easy to blend with it as its creamy.

alien21xx

MissChievous, I have never tried the more shimmery shadows of Fyrinnae, so I guess i don't really know how they go.
greengrin.gif
However, what I find so off-putting about that make-up is that the turnaround time is so long. I feel like I've aged by the time I receive my orders. LOL. I do agree that MAC pigments are still the best. Right now, I am only making use of my other pigments so they don't go to waste.

Wolfsong, oooh you've received the About Face order! How long did it take? I'm curious as I want to try it as well. How do the pigments hold up with primers, and what type of primers do you use with them?

For Pure Luxe, I've learnt now that layering a MAC shadestick over UDPP works quite well. It both grabs the powder and enhances the color. However, I find that any type of shadow becomes really hard to blend with shadestick layered over UDPP. I placed an order for the Pure Luxe eye primer and I really hope that will work out the best as I love PL, and I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced eye primer to replace UDPP (it's just too hard trying to buy those stuff when you live in a country where there's no Urban Decay.
ssad.gif

wolfsong

Pure Luxe's eye primer is wonderful! If you wait for a few seconds then pat the shadow on its budge proof - though im sure you can blend etc (either apply before it dries too much, or add more primer).

My theshespace order was processed and shipped the day after the order went through (i placed order during christmas when it was shut - opened on the 3rd of Jan). It was shipped from USA to UK, so the international delivery time applied (somewhere between 7-14 days).

About Face makes the best blushes and face powders ive ever tried!
The eyeshadows last as they are, but with a base/primer (PL is the only one ive used with them - as ive mentioned above, they dont budge!) they increase dramatically in pigmentation - i think because they stop being shimmery/glowy and become pearly. They work beautifully as pigments for lip products too.

I cant rave enough about the customer service for theshespace. She has a blog where she talks about changes to the site/cheaper shipping costs and the LE/additional items she has planned for the end of this week here:

The She Space

alien21xx

Thanks for this update, wolfsong!

Can you tell me a bit more on how you use the PL primer? I'm getting mine in the mail maybe today or tomorrow, and I wanted to know if I should apply the eyeshadow before it dries or after. With UDPP, I normally apply after it dries as when I try to put e/s while it's wet, I end up with muddy colors. I'll post the rest of my questions on About Face in the other thread. TIA!

wolfsong

You can use it tacky or dry - it stays better when applied whilst tacky, but you have to use a bit more shadow as you need to pat it on rather then sweep. The good thing is you can add more without messing up your shadow (if you need to correct something), it doesnt add pigment, and it smells like rice pudding - which is really weird!

KiSmEt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepp_84
Ive worn BE shadows and the thing that I use is UDDP so I dont know, sorry
ssad.gif

I know what you mean about fallout so I just wear a dirty shirt when im going to use them and then change afterwards. Also, maybe do your eyemakeup before your face? Try and play around with it. Ive never used the Pureluxe shadows, maybe they just suck? I dont know, sorry
ssad.gif

What is UDDP?? What is it used for exactly?? TIA!

wolfsong

Urban Decay's Primer Potion for use as an eyeshadow base to make loose/panned eyeshadow 'stick' to the skin, last longer/not crease and look brighter etc.

Urban Decay Cosmetics - Eyeshadow Primer Potion

From what ive read about it, its amazing for keeping the shadow put; but tends to dry lids out, is hard to remove and makes blending difficult (at least for a lot of people).

anjelik_dreamin

Today I tried some Fyrinnae pigment (Fire Opal) I usually get dullish results with over some crappy Splash liquid liner in a rusty colour and the results were GREAT! The colour popped like never before and It also has a reddish irridescent quality throughout.

wolfsong

Pure Luxe has a lovely primer which you can try out a cheap sample of, and theshespace (About Face) will be bringing one out soon - im looking forward to that one! She sent some out to customers as a gift a while ago for feedback i presume, and it had amazing reception.

Pure Luxe primer (they also have a product to make eyeliners from shadows but i have yet to try this):
Natural mineral based powder cosmetics and skincare. - Accessories

Personally with the Pure Luxe one i like to wait until its dry to add pigment on top (less messy), but it works by their method too (would probably be easier to blend this way). The great thing about this one is that you can add more on top of the shadow if you make a mistake/need to blend more etc. It has a watery creamy consistency, makes any loose powders/eyeshadows stick until you want to take it off without creasing, blends well, dries clear and smells like rice pudding - which i love even though i hate rice pudding!

Latest posts