Eye Primer for Mineral Eyeshadow

alien21xx

I tried out the Pure Luxe primer in a few ways and here are some results:
1. Used alone and allowed to dry completely before applying shadow resulted in a pretty good finish. It didn't lend for amazing blending but it's not like the colors are tacked onto my lids forever (as is the case with UDPP) No creasing for up to 6 hours.
2. Used alone with shadow applied while still tacky made the clear cream a bit pasty and the same color as the e/s but the blending was so much better, didn't streak at all and made the colors stay for up to 6 hours.
Even then, it was only very minor creasing because of my contact lens eye drops.
3. Used together with a MAC shadestick resulted in the shadestick dictating the color base (naturally), which meant even more vibrant colors. Didn't stay as well as if I had used it alone. No creasing for maybe 3 hours. On the fourth, the inner and outer edges of my eye makeup was starting to smudge.
4. Used together with a MAC paint pot resulted in the most amazing colors! I love them and the blending is really good because of the paint pot's cream consistency. It was beautiful and it lasted for about 4-5 hours before creasing sets in. If I had time every morning to do this, I totally would!

Over all, I think I like this better than UDPP because it really improved how some of the usually ugly colors look on me. I find that UDPP gets tacky and gross and makes my lids pale if I apply too much. PL's primer dries to an invisible finish, which is good. However, the lasting power can't match UDPP. Also, it did nothing to improve the general crappy quality of the Pure Luxe eyeshadows. The fallout was just as bad as when I used UDPP, and the PL e/s were muddy-looking colors.

I think if you're just going to wear make-up for everyday, like just going to work, for example, this would be a great replacement for UDPP. It's very inexpensive and works quite well. However, if you're looking at more than 8 hours make-up freshness, Urban Decay's primer is still the way to go.

anjelik_dreamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiSmEt
^What did you use as the primer?

I just put a little of a Covergirl Shadestick type thing on then spread the liquid eyeliner on with a lip brush.

greenandcurly

Fyrinnae are my absolute favourite brand when it gets to eyeshadows. And I have tried various primers for my mineral eyeshadows:

1 part Glycerine mixed with 3 parts water, dampen your brush into this and mix it with the shadow you would like as a base (or nothing if you want it transparent). Then just add your other colours as usual. The colour payoff is great and it sticks all day long!

MAD Eyeshadow Base: Great as a base, although it's a bit hard to get it even on the lid, but once it's there it sticks like glue and makes the colours so intense!

FACE Stockholm Cream highlighter: Also a great creamy base, but it tends to crease during the day.

Vaseline (Rosebud salve): Works just as good as the other primers, but doesn't keep the shadows from creasing that well.

So, two favourites are the two at the top! They work every time, and the good thing about the glycerine mix is that you can choose whatever colour you like as a base, like a black one underneath your other shadows to give them a bit of depth, or a green one just to add to the other colours. Cheap and easy!

queenlerxst

I've switched to mostly all-natural stuff now and have found that Silken Pearl paste works just as well as the high-end commercial primer stuff. This product keeps eyeshadow from creasing for a very very long time. If I want the colors to look more intense, I simply dab some of Dr. Hauschka's concealer on top of the Pearl Paste (which goes on clear as long as you don't use too much!)

fiction_writer

Hi there
smiles.gif
I use Bare Escentuals Prime Time Eyelid Primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien21xx
I'd just like to know what eye primer you guys are using (if any) to make the mineral eyeshadows stick. I just recently received my Pure Luxe samples and the fallout was crazy even though I used UDPP, did my best to shake out excess powder, used patting motions to apply, etc. It was so bad I even had eyeshadow on my clothes.
ssad.gif
I didn't experience this at all with MAC pigments and any other loose powder eyeshadow, so maybe I need to get some sort of primer or change something in my make-up routine?

Please help! Thanks!

downloadstone

I know it's not technically a base, but I love using Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy over Urban Decay's Primer Potion. It makes mineral eyeshadows really pop and stick.

dancinbluegirl

Using a glitter fixative will help make mineral shadows stick better. If you're prone to using matte eyeshadows along with shimmery shadows, get Darling Girl's Glitter Glue and if you mainly use shimmery shadows, get Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy.

shadowaddict

I used UDPP for years but now I am liking Too Faced Shadow Insurance way better. It doesn't make my lids feel as dry and I think my e/s is lasting longer as well.

If you use UDPP how are you finding the shimmery new ones to be? I didn't think they held up as well as the original.

coffee1

I have darling girl glitter glue and I really like it - do you think it's worth it to get fyrinnae pixie epoxy as well? the fyrinnae site is just such a pain - it's always down when i want to order!

I use too face shadow insurance for matte and shimmery pressed shadows, and darling girl glitter glue for loose shimmery/ glittery shadows and pressed glittery shadows, but i'm open to suggestions!

Makep Junkie

Will using a cream shadow base work? I haven't used Pure Luxe but I think if foiling works then using a good cream color base should work as well.

Oxana124

The primer I use is TFSI. I press all my minerals shadows and that tends to get rid of the fallout problems. However, what I found works best for loose shadows that tend to not stick well to skin and have fallout is one of two things. Applying them wet. Or, using a tacky base for them to stick to and patting them over it. I would still use my TFSI first, then use a thin layer of a tacky base. Fyrinnae makes one called Pixie Epoxy. The one I currently use is from Silk Naturals called Stick 'Em. They both work well, and as long as I still wear my TFSI primer underneath it all I do not have any creasing problems.

For primer for my shadows I actually use a combination of two things. First, I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance and spread it over my lids and under my lash line. Then I use either NYX Jumbo pencil in Milk (to bring out the vibrancy of the colors) or Black Bean (for the darker shadows and smokey eye looks) over the the Shadow Insurance. You don't need a whole lot of the NYX and be sure to blend it out or else your shadows will crease but these two things make my shadows pop and stay on all day without creasing or fading.
I have heard a lot of different people say that they use cream shadow as a base for their pigments but I would be sure to blend it out to prevent creasing.