Eyes before Foundation...

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
sigh.gif
*big dramatic sigh*
sigh.gif

I can't get the first link to work at all. I skimmed through the 2nd one and didn't see what i'm looking for, but will read again with the others tonight when i can give it 100% of my attention.

Thanks for the attempted assist. I'm sure it's the info I need and I just can't find it.

Try the first link again, KJ's servers were down this morning, but are back up now.

The links which are threads here do take a bit of reading through, but there is worthwhile information in them.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
Same here. If I am doing a dramatic look, I tend to reach for pigments a lot too so it helps to do the eyes first. I usually don't have a lot of fallout though.

I can't think of a reason why it would be imperative to do the foundation first. :shrug:

Edited to wonder why the shrugging smilie has to roll his eyes. lol

You don't HAVE to do foundation first, but it certainly helps at getting a smoother transition from the skin to the eye that way. You can't properly blend concealer/foundation around the eye area if the eye-makeup has been done already. Same with around the brows. Also, doing the face first, at least the foundation, allows the foundation to set prior to finishing the look, which lets you determine what the skin is doing to do so that you know how to properly finish it.

FacesbyNiki

Oh. I see alot know it all's up in here.
lol.gif

I say do what you feel is best for YOU. If you wanna do eyes first, do it. It doesn't make me no never mind as long as we all do beautiful make up.

smiles.gif

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Oh. I see alot know it all's up in here.
lol.gif

I say do what you feel is best for YOU. If you wanna do eyes first, do it. It doesn't make me no never mind as long as we all do beautiful make up.

smiles.gif

I thought it was me cause I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!

user79

I think putting foundation on after eyes doesn't look good because you can't blend it propperly around the eye area. I always do my face first and then eyes.

Even pros get fall-out from eyeshadow, so dust a little translucent powder underneath the eyes before you start, and sweep it away at the end, and the fallout is taken care of.

Bre

I start with the base first, I can't see it all coming together (and I don't think the client can either) and the work in progress doesn't look as good without having done the canvas in the backround first

mzreyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
If you need to do the eyes first because of fall-out or other product drifting, you need to seriously look at your technique. I can agree with doing the eyes first if you're doing something particularly intricate that may require several stop-starts, but beyond that, nope.

(for me it's foundation and concealing, eyebrows, eye design, lipstick, cheeks.)

wow i never thought of it that way. but ITA!

martygreene

While it does depend on what works best for you- one of the biggest issues I see in many new artists' work, particularly print work, is odd gaps in makeup or muddyness around the eyes from having done the eyes first and the face after, and then trying to blend the foundation/concealer up to it without messing the eye makeup up.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
While it does depend on what works best for you- one of the biggest issues I see in many new artists' work, particularly print work, is odd gaps in makeup or muddyness around the eyes from having done the eyes first and the face after, and then trying to blend the foundation/concealer up to it without messing the eye makeup up.

But isn't this how you learn?? You have to crawl before you walk.

Matrix_doll

Hmm very debatable I just do what ever. I pick out the draw first. I normally do my foundation first and then eyes but yes some types of eyes you must becareful of fallout.

neverfadetogray

it seems a little silly to me that doing the face first is considered more acceptable. an amazing finished product should be the top concern, not the order of products applied. that's a matter of choice and preference. i've done it both ways before, but certain products (like pigments, of course) are more prone to causing fallout, and besides, people make mistakes sometimes. it just seems like a better use of products and time to do it in an order that won't require you to have to redo a full face.
smiles.gif

martygreene

It is the finished product that is the most important. However, the trained eye (and sometimes even the untrained eye) can often discern those images in which the eye has been done first to completion, and then the face. It's simply a matter of extreme difficulty and/or inability to blend undereye concealors/correctors/foundation seamlessly into pre-existing powder products without either having to remove some of the eye-makeup and re-do it, or without creating a muddied halo.

While certain products can have a pre-disposition towards causing fall-out, the use of appropriate products, tools, and techniques can prevent such from occurring.

little_angel

i've always done face first. i just can never seem to properly blend the foundation around the eye area after the shadow is already down.

circusflavouredgum

I dunno, it's all a matter of opinion as far as I'm concerened. If you're a competent artist, why does it matter what route you take to get there in the end?

I often (not always) do eyes first. I do concealer around the inner corners and inner undereye and then clean as I go along. I leave the lower lashline and undereye area without shadow or pencil, until I have finished all of the upper eyeshadow, clean under the lashline one last time, and then apply concealer all the way up to the lower lashline before applying shadow/pencil under the eye. I manage this without any "gapping" or compromising of the shadow.

I don't think it's fair to say if you have the "right" tool/technique/products you will not need to do it this way. Artistry is all about being creative and knowing what works for YOU..there are no hard and fast set rules about things (besides sanitation)

To imply that it is people's lack of knowledge/talent/experience that causes them to have to clean up shadow might discourage them from asking certain questions in the future if they feel they are being sneered at for not having the right skills.

There are always going to be some unforseen circumstances. You could have the perfect unfidgety model, perfect technique and perfect tools but your model could suddenly cry/get a fibre in her eye/sneeze/twitch and you could end up with a messy undereye. In my experience, it has been very timesaving and less stressful to clean up in that situation when I have done the eyes first and left the face clean.

I don't see why, if you're used to working this way, you wouldn't be thought of as being capable of blending out all of the rough edges or gaps so that the end results are seamless.

glamgirl

I always do foundation first. If I am applying a dark shadow I put loose powder under the eye to catch the excess. You have to be carefull putting loose powder on mature women because the powder can settle in the lines.

Klava

What about holding a tissue under the eye, so that all the fallouts are caught on to it? I saw some MUA do it on TV

twinkley

I can see, that there is definately two sides to this!
smiles.gif

Personally, I like to do face first. The reason for that is that I have quite a bad and in some parts quite red skin and I think that I can see the colormatches for the eyes better when the skin is done and even. And I totally agree that blending light reflecting concealer or concealer under eyes is extremely hard after putting eye make up, so that is another reason why I prefer foundation first.

I agree, that if make up application is very messy, it really is all about your way of putting it around. I know myself, that it is not always that easy, but that's why it needs to be practised!

giz2000

It depends on what I am doing...if it's a complicated client or I am using very dark colors, I usually do lids and brows first, then face, then complete the bottom of the eyes once the concealer and foundation is in place. Most of the time, I do face (foundation and concealer only) first, then eyes, then everything else.

TheManda

There's so much more to make up then eye make up. I think a well done complexion is more impressive than an intricate eye..imo As far as retail cosmetics go...it's not hard to sell someone on eye shadow or eyeliner...I think it's important to stress good skin prep and the right tools for a completion. You have to look at the big picture...like MartyGreene said everything has to blend and look good in the big picture...If you can do that with eyes first good, but it seems easier if you do face first...just my two cents