Eyeshadow PACKAGING comparison - Authentic vs. Counterfeit (Pic heavy!) April 2008

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm
What this is coming down to is - can we be sure that these differences are not just changes within the M.A.C. line itself? More and more I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way I'm going to be sure is by going through each - one by one - and doing a swatch test and comparison to try and figure out whether they're legitimate or not.

Yes, we are sure. As Xqueeze_me posted below Julie has already not only sent several e/s to MAC for testing but has received written confirmation that they are NOT of MACs manufacture - and thats straight from the horses mouth. No second info from dealers of suppliers - it was direct from MAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqueeze_me
julie150463 has already sent the counterfeit eyeshadows for MAC to have a look at and MAC replied saying that all eyeshadows are made with smooth bottom pans. Not the ones with indented rings.

Agreed!
smiles.gif

jrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Yes, we are sure. As Xqueeze_me posted below Julie has already not only sent several e/s to MAC for testing but has received written confirmation that they are NOT of MACs manufacture - and thats straight from the horses mouth. No second info from dealers of suppliers - it was direct from MAC.

I've depotted 9 of the these eyeshadows thus far this evening - as expected, all have the pan indentation...
censored.gif

What I'd love to see is some sort of formal letter - from M.A.C. - that could be scanned in and put on these forums to categorically state that the pans should have a flat bottom. This would quell any doubts that suppliers may have regarding their products. As much as I (and many others would love to see this), I also doubt they'd ever put them in a position to do that.

I'm going to get a 15 pan palette and throw these counterfeit ones in there so I can track the colors that I want, and I'll replace them with legitimate ones as I locate and buy them.

On one hand I'm trying to look at this as an interesting learning exercise involving detective-work, photograpgy, investigation and documentation in building my lil' webpage and providing photographic evidence to my sellers. As one of my friends would tell me - it's the sort of thing that I seem to enjoy. But, on the other hand, it's disappointing to me that I'm going to have to keep searching for these eyeshadow shades and I'm also sad for the unwitting sellers who have been deceived by their suppliers and who stand to lose thousands of dollars.

Of the four sellers that I've recently dealt with, three of them have looked at the images and comparisons I've provided them of their products and those I've purchased from M.A.C. directly (working off Xqueeze_me's examples and my own additions - the number inside the casing near the hinge, for instance) and they've offered refunds. The webpage I mentioned in an earlier post is the culmination of a number of the different sellers products and close-up photos to give a clear overview of the differences.

One other seller has made me feel like I've caused them all sorts of harm and that I've done wrong by them. They've informed me that if I mention their name, details or eBay username on any internet forum or webpage , then they'll proceed with legal action against me - and further - that I should never contact them again. They had the hide to tell me that I'M a "piece of work" for trying to get a refund on a counterfeit product ... geesh.

tigerli17

Damn...Its scary how good the fakes have gotten
ssad.gif
I think I'm put off buying e/s off of ebay for life now!

jrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerli17
Damn...Its scary how good the fakes have gotten
ssad.gif
I think I'm put off buying e/s off of ebay for life now!

It sure is. I'm going to be holding off buying any cosmetics on eBay anymore - you just can't figure out they're fakes from the photos - and ultimately it's just not the time and stress in not being 100% sure in what you've purchased until you've got it.

Now I just need to find an Australian seller who I can trust 100% to provide me with legitimate products...

As an aside, I've managed to get a hold of some of the blushes from one of my sellers to do a check over those for her - looks like they're also counterfeit, though fewer differences to the real deal than the eyeshadows. The manufacturing marks look in the right places, it's mostly the lack of numbering inside the casing (once you pry it apart), and the actual boxes being different that really give it away (that evil carboard they use that scratches easily).

I might take some close-up photography of these and write up another page comparo as the http://specktra.net/f257/blushers-any-experts-94188/index2.html thread didn't seem to really cover it off quite as well as this thread has for eyeshadows.

Xqueeze_me

Eep! Sorry to hear that you really have the fakes. :/ I'm glad some sellers are willing to refund but that one seller who threatened legal action? That's just major bullpoop and all they care about is money, that's why that threat.

Like you, I like the detective work and photography. Just got myself a kick-bum new camera yesterday so I'm gonna play around when I got time.. Before Michael Buble's concert this coming Saturday!! WOOHOO!

By the way, in one of the threads, red mentioned that "some eyeshadows may not have the numbers near the hinge in the pot" that's why I didn't mention it in the comparison.. I should, aye!

jrm

Quote:
Like you, I like the detective work and photography. Just got myself a kick-bum new camera yesterday so I'm gonna play around when I got time.. Before Michael Buble's concert this coming Saturday!! WOOHOO!

It's the crazy geek in me - what can I say
winks.gif

I've been eyeing off getting a Canon EOS 400D lately, nothing too fancy, but definitely not at the low-end.

Hope you have some fun at the Michael Buble on the weekend
smiles.gif

Quote:
By the way, in one of the threads, red mentioned that the numbers don't always appear on the pot (near the hinge) that's why I didn't mention it in the comparison.. I should, aye!

So far, none of my legitimate store-bought (or otherwise thoroughly checked over) eyeshadows do not have a number on the casing. The same goes for my blush casings.

The backs of the actual pan itself do differ in some cases - some have a scratched number, some have the CH logo, and some have a number. All have an indentation/dimple in the middle.

The other thing that wasn't entirely clear in your analysis that I saw was the spacing of those dots / manufacturing marks on the backs of the pans.

From all my analysis, I've found the quickest and dirtiest quick check without openning anything up is to just look at the packaging. The difference in quality of the cardboard is astounding - you don't quite realise how bad it is until you see it - and scratch it - it scratches so easily compared to legitimate packaging.

I'm starting to feel like a real authority on this - I almost wish that I wasn't .. heh.
smiles.gif

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
By the way, in one of the threads, red mentioned that the numbers don't always appear on the pot (near the hinge) that's why I didn't mention it in the comparison.. I should, aye!

Canon EOS 400D.. Sounds more expensive compared to mine! hehe

Anywho, I should reword that quote.. All the eyeshadows I have now do have the numbers near the hinge. I was going to say that "red mentioned that some eyeshadows may not have the numbers near the hinge" but there usually is.

So tired that I can't even think straight. Just got home from work an hour ago and nursing a migraine that's trying to cut my left eyeball into half. :/

red

fake Mac Idol Eyes, Slip Pink, Folie, Rose Blanc

The Slip Pink was almost a perfect match to the original, only in the depotting it was confirmed to be a fake. The Folie smelled weird, and the consistency was off.

red

The number on the inside near the hinge is almost always there. I have one e/s which I bought at Mac Soho (rice paper) that does not .. but this is more the exception than the rule.

the 4 e/s in the bad video I took were sent to me to look over, I had never seen a counterfeit Mac e/s in my life. I'll tell ya, the Slip Pink could have fooled me!! If it wasn't depotted, I would have thought it original.

having them in my hands made it clearer as to what to look for. The smell, consistency, ring in the pan, quality of the box, etc.

But if you've never had a Mac e/s before, you probably would never know.

jrm

Hmmmm .. that reminds me, I should really upload those pictures/comparisons of counterfeit / legitimate blushes that I did. Is that something people would be interested to see?

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm
Hmmmm .. that reminds me, I should really upload those pictures/comparisons of counterfeit / legitimate blushes that I did. Is that something people would be interested to see?

Definitely!
yes.gif

riwinn

I purchased some supposedly "authentic" MAC eyeshadow on Ebay. I was looking for Rose Blanc Veluxe Pearl, it was limited edition and my favorite, and found a lot of it on Ebay. When I got it, it seemed a little off in texture and color but the boxes and containers were identical to an old Rose Blanc that I purchased in a MAC store.

I couldn't figure it out until I noticed the ingredients were different. In the MAC store one, some of the ingredients were Nylon-12, soybean extract, and wheat germ extract (which i guess are exclusive to the veluxe pearl formula). These and some other ingredients were not listed on the Ebay bought eyeshadows. I even called a MAC store and had them read off the ingredients of some other veluxe pearl shades and they all had the Nylon-12, etc. Would MAC have made different formulas/ingredients for veluxe pearl at some point that didn't work out and sold them to wholesalers? Almost all of the ebay sellers got irate when I questioned the ingredients and insisted that they bought from authorized MAC suppliers. Only one instantly gave me a refund and was going to question her supplier. Any info on this or how I would prove so I can file a complaint to Ebay? Do you think that MAC would verify the Veluxe Pearl ingredients in a letter? Thanks for any info on this..

Quote:
julie150463 has already sent the counterfeit eyeshadows for MAC to have a look at and MAC replied saying that all eyeshadows are made with smooth bottom pans. Not the ones with indented rings.

If you're still unsure, depot the eyeshadows to see if the pans have indented rings on them.

Also, repeated like a chant in other threads, MAC does not do wholesale for onward resale. That is also stated in their website. Enough said.

I have eyeshadows that were purchased here, eBay and MAC store. They're all consistent and legitimate with the packaging and swatches.. except the two from eBay are with the "written-melted-on-back-of-tray" number (marked as sample according to a Specktrette here) instead of raised numbers.

Don't give up.. Specktra have sale threads where you can buy legit MAC, high end brands and other drug store brands.. You just have to post more than 20 times (no duplicates of course!!) to be able to see the Clearance Bin.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by riwinn
I purchased some supposedly "authentic" MAC eyeshadow on Ebay. I was looking for Rose Blanc Veluxe Pearl, it was limited edition and my favorite, and found a lot of it on Ebay. When I got it, it seemed a little off in texture and color but the boxes and containers were identical to an old Rose Blanc that I purchased in a MAC store.

I couldn't figure it out until I noticed the ingredients were different. In the MAC store one, some of the ingredients were Nylon-12, soybean extract, and wheat germ extract (which i guess are exclusive to the veluxe pearl formula). These and some other ingredients were not listed on the Ebay bought eyeshadows. I even called a MAC store and had them read off the ingredients of some other veluxe pearl shades and they all had the Nylon-12, etc. Would MAC have made different formulas/ingredients for veluxe pearl at some point that didn't work out and sold them to wholesalers? Almost all of the ebay sellers got irate when I questioned the ingredients and insisted that they bought from authorized MAC suppliers. Only one instantly gave me a refund and was going to question her supplier. Any info on this or how I would prove so I can file a complaint to Ebay? Do you think that MAC would verify the Veluxe Pearl ingredients in a letter? Thanks for any info on this..

I'm not too sure about the ingredients and MAC doesn't and never do wholesale for onward resale. So sellers who gets them from their "suppliers/wholesalers" are always bad news. This is how it works: The "suppliers/wholesalers" send "liquidation" lists to interested sellers so they can buy in bulk.

Would you be able to provide the names of the eBay sellers who are not willing to refund you?

riwinn

Today I spoke with someone at MAC Corporate and she emailed me the list of ingredients which should be listed on the box of ALL Veluxe Pearl regardless of the shade. The Rose Blanc Veluxe Pearl that I bought from multiple sellers DO NOT have these ingredients listed on the box.

Here it is:

Enclosed is the ingredient list that you requested. We trust this will answer your question, however, please do not hesitate to contact us should you require additional information.

We appreciate this opportunity to have been of assistance. We look forward to having you visit the MAC counter or our website in the near future.

Sincerely,

Jane Roebuck
Response Representative
Global Consumer Communications

Eye Shadow (Veluxe Pearl):
INGREDIENTS: TALC [] ZINC STEARATE [] NYLON-12 [] DIMETHICONE [] OCTYLDODECYL STEAROYL STEARATE [] ISOSTEARYL NEOPENTANOATE [] GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) SEED EXTRACT [] HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT\EXTRAIT D'ORGE [] TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] ASCORBYL PALMITATE [] SQUALANE [] CAPRYLYL GLYCOL [] HEXYLENE GLYCOL [] CERAMIDE 3 [] CHOLESTEROL [] SILICA [] TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE [] LINOLEIC ACID [] PHENOXYETHANOL [] [+/- MICA [] TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891) [] IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) [] BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163) [] BLUE 1 LAKE (CI 42090) [] CARMINE (CI 75470) [] CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN (CI 77289) [] CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288) [] FERRIC FERROCYANIDE (CI 77510) [] MANGANESE VIOLET (CI 77742) [] ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007) [] YELLOW 5 LAKE (CI 19140)

The sellers who got irate and/or refused so far to give refunds are:

Stormasis / ScentFromHeaven-ebay store - (she was absolutely horrid and abusive in her reply emails when questioned about the authenticity of her product)

Glittergrll1977 - she insists that hers is authentic and that she buys from an Ebay supplier and she has a letter to prove it. BUT along with the incorrect ingredients list on her product, it also has ridged pan and all other signs from posted photos on fake containers.

Letsmakeup1 - another one who says no way hers are fake but again, neither the containers or ingredient list match the authentic MAC product.

Kosmetic4sale08 - same incorrect ingredient list and ridged pans.

615Alexa - after first denying, she later admitted that she really doesn't know but will continue to sell. Did offer refund if I send product back so she could resell it.

Avonridge - she was the ONLY one who instantly refunded my money. She was horrified and was going to contact her supplier and MAC. The only decent person of the bunch.

All of these sellers said that they got their product from reliable MAC suppliers or wholesalers. Where do these suppliers/whoesalers get their product? Do the ebay sellers know they are selling fake product or are they being dupped as well??

Quote:
I'm not too sure about the ingredients and MAC doesn't and never do wholesale for onward resale. So sellers who gets them from their "suppliers/wholesalers" are always bad news. This is how it works: The "suppliers/wholesalers" send "liquidation" lists to interested sellers so they can buy in bulk.

Would you be able to provide the names of the eBay sellers who are not willing to refund you?

Xqueeze_me

"Suppliers/Wholesalers" are major bullpoop artists!! THEY are the source of fake MAC distribution, which is why we ALWAYS avoid sellers who informs us that they get their MAC in bulk from "suppliers/wholesalers". The "suppliers/wholesalers" get their huge bulk of fake MAC from manufacturers who make fake cosmetics in Thailand, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and has unfortunately injected and flooded other countries with the rubbish fakes.

Some eBay sellers know jackpoop about fake MAC. Only a handful are honest enough to admit that they don't know and when they find out, actually withdraw the listings.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by riwinn
All of these sellers said that they got their product from reliable MAC suppliers or wholesalers. Where do these suppliers/whoesalers get their product? Do the ebay sellers know they are selling fake product or are they being dupped as well??

While there are sellers out there that are duped or unaware of the problem of counterfeit cosmetics, there are also sellers out there that know their items are counterfeit and continue selling them as authentic anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
there is a letter from MAC regarding the pans, julie posted it in another thread.

*wanders off to search*

edit: here you go

I'm not sure if this is really stupid but in the letter it says PRO e/s pans; I know I know shouldn't make a difference but what if? I'll write to MAC and see if I can get an answer.

Second is, can we (specktra as a community) make a sticky with the names of ebay sellers that we have purchased fakes off of? Or is that to risky with regard to legal ramifications?

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACaliciousMami
I'm not sure if this is really stupid but in the letter it says PRO e/s pans; I know I know shouldn't make a difference but what if? I'll write to MAC and see if I can get an answer.

Second is, can we (specktra as a community) make a sticky with the names of ebay sellers that we have purchased fakes off of? Or is that to risky with regard to legal ramifications?

I think Julie sent only the pans to MAC, that's why MAC replied with "Pro pans".

There's a thread (re: sellers of fake MAC and other cosmetics) somewhere that got kind of stranded: http://specktra.net/f257/ebay-seller...s-avoid-84107/