Eyeshadow PACKAGING comparison - Authentic vs. Counterfeit (Pic heavy!) April 2008

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburstisl
Refering to the letter from mac, doesn't it mean pro-pan eyeshadows and depotted eyeshadows are different right??

I wouldn't think so... I would think the eyeshadow pans are made the same whether it be pro-pan or in pots.

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoybeingagirl
Do counterfeit eye shadow pans ever have the smooth back?

Good question. I hope never!!!

Flaminbird

I have a fake e/s and didnt even know it and unfortunately the pot is at the MAC store so I cant compare the pots
ssad.gif
. I had hardly used it and it's been sitting in the drawer since I bought it over a month ago. Anyway I went to MAC today to turn in 6 empties for my freebie. While looking to choose what I wanted today I picked up this pretty brown, turned it over and saw it was called Mulch. Well I have Mulch at home and was curious as to why the one at home was matte and this one was a really pretty frost ....btw I'm a MAC newbie so I wasnt familiar with the Mulch in person only pics on the internet. Anyway I talked to the MUA about it and said that mine didnt look like that. I showed her in the baggie I brought the empties that the one did indeed say Mulch. I bought it from a person with great feedback on ebay so I thought it was ok. I bought the Mulch anyway at the Pro Store today and first thing I did when I came home was compare the two. Pics tells it all
ssad.gif
. Definately different and the one I got on ebay has to be a fake
ssad.gif
. Oh also when I was depotting just to get the tray out one came out with my fingernail...so easy and all the others I had to use a knife so I bet that was the "mulch"
ssad.gif

The ebay Mulch is on the left and the real one from the pro store is on the right

382288974_mxw2X-M.jpg

Kinderwhore

Are e/s refills often fakes? For some reason I feel safer buying refills that full-size pans, but it's probably a false sense of security.

Flaminbird

I looked at the other 2 e/s I bought from that ebay seller and the back of the pans all had the "15" stamped on them and the four holes sunken in and spaced closer inwards like shown here unlike the real MAC product. I contacted the seller and she told me this:

Hi,
So much time has passed now and since you don't have the original packaging there isn't much I can do. The supplier that supplies my MAC has always been trustworthy and I've never had a problem with any product that I've gotten from him. That's not to say things can get mixed in wrong as we know how much fake mac is floating around out there.

- shannonalbert30

While it was August 24th when I paid for the e/s it was about 10-14 days till I recieved them. I didnt inspect them because for one I was new to MAC and had read at that time the counterfeit ones had the mirror underneath and the sponge. Secondly I had no reason to think hers were fake since she had over 4000 + feedback. I filed a claim with paypal so we'll see what happens. Stay clear of this person on ebay though
ssad.gif

shannonalbert30

evah2003

I have to admit that I bought *a lot* of MAC off eBay..and I just recently tried depotting (was so scared of breaking my beloved e/s)..only 2 of my huge stash of eyeshadows have indented pans...they were a b**** to depot, too! All the others loosened after seconds of heating, but these two were glued WAY more strongly than the others.
Funny enough, I bought these two from the same seller (can´t remember the name, but it was a UK seller).

Now, my question is: can I be sure that the eyeshadows with a smooth metal pan (no indentions, I mean) are "the real deal"?!

TIA!

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by evah2003
I have to admit that I bought *a lot* of MAC off eBay..and I just recently tried depotting (was so scared of breaking my beloved e/s)..only 2 of my huge stash of eyeshadows have indented pans...they were a b**** to depot, too! All the others loosened after seconds of heating, but these two were glued WAY more strongly than the others.
Funny enough, I bought these two from the same seller (can´t remember the name, but it was a UK seller).

Now, my question is: can I be sure that the eyeshadows with a smooth metal pan (no indentions, I mean) are "the real deal"?!

TIA!

some shadows are glued in more than others. that's not a reliable indicator of whether the eye shadow is counterfeit or not.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by evah2003

TIA!

No, I'm not sure that we can actually.... I have a feeling the counterfeiters have corrected the indented pans to smooth pans.... I am in the process of finding out if they have.

Jewelybug

I have been trying to talk myself into spending the money on parrot e/s and found several sellers on ebay offering it. ($20-$30!) Now I am really scared. I know I know... don't be "scared" because there are legit sellers on Ebay... but it's so hard to tell upfront and that is a lot of money (for me) to be spending on something conterfeit. *sigh*

syrene78

So helpful!
Anyone has a list with the sellers of fakes on Ebay?
Sorry if that has been asked already. Not sure.

GlitterLids

shockt.gif

It is getting to the point that I will only buy the eyeshadows from mac directly or a CCO. There are a few ebayers who get their stuff from CCOs and can prove it. Otherwsie, it's just too risky. Un believable.

Exotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
No, I'm not sure that we can actually.... I have a feeling the counterfeiters have corrected the indented pans to smooth pans.... I am in the process of finding out if they have.

they're probably lurking this counterfeit forum and taking notes of all the bad details we've spotted. I wish this forum was locked to only allow members with a certain amount of posts.. but I guess that wouldn't be fair to the new members with genuine questions
th_dunno.gif

Exotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterLids

There are a few ebayers who get their stuff from CCOs and can prove it.

can you please give the names of those ebayers?

jrm

Let's hope, if they have resolved the indented to smooth pans issue that the quality of the actual packaging remains quite different.

The 'scratch test' is always one of my favs - if the box is easily scratched to make a mark with the lightest touch of the back of a fingernail, then it's probably a genuine MAC box. Of course, that doesn't stop then putting counterfeit products inside a genuine box!

There's also the differences in the indentations in the backs of the plastic pans and the numbering on them, the numbering inside the tray that are usual differentiators.

Anyways - I'm not sure they'll be able to pick up all of the changes and consistencies with a legitimate product whilst maintaining a cheap cost that means that the counterfeiters make a good profit. But - who knows?

darklocke

I've bought some e/s pots off eBay, all from sellers that seem to be trusted sellers if I'm to believe threads here on Spektra (which I do of course). Some things are throwing me off though, because some of the bar code-labels are different.

1. All of the depotted pans are smooth underneath
2. All of the pots have that golden shimmer shown in the pics in this thread
3. Some boxes read 1.3g while others read 1.5g, but I've heard that this occurs - even with genuine MAC?
4. I'm sure all trays had that small indent in the middle (thrown away after depotting before reading this thread)
5. All edges seem to be clean cut, at least I think so

So, my question is: should I be afraid?

I don't understand what the difference in the fake vs. authentic box is in the pictures of the bar code, the sides, the back and the front? Also, what is the difference between the two in the pictures of underneat the pot - is it the number, or the direction of the label? Could someone please make this clearer?

Some of my pots also have a "pressed" number in the back (e.g. A27), while others look like both the pots on the picture. I'm confused! Every single one of these pots have been bought from sellers that are known to sell authentic MAC according to a couple of different forums.

Edit: I just bought a couple of e/s from my-boo-kitty (since she's highly praised) in the same colors as the ones that keep throwing me off. I just want to see if they look any different. I'll post my findings.

MelodyAngel

This has been an extremely informative thread. I still have a couple of questions though...

Is there any way to identify a counterfeit e/s without depotting?

Are there fake LE pots out there? Such as from Neo Sci-Fi, Lure, Moonbathe, etc...

Thanks!
yes.gif

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyAngel
This has been an extremely informative thread. I still have a couple of questions though...

Is there any way to identify a counterfeit e/s without depotting?

Are there fake LE pots out there? Such as from Neo Sci-Fi, Lure, Moonbathe, etc...

Thanks!
yes.gif

It's quite difficult to say now since the fakers are so good at making them look real but so far I haven't seen the LE eyeshadows' packaging been faked yet. I would just pay attention to details and do comparisons using this guide. The best way is still to depot them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocke
I've bought some e/s pots off eBay, all from sellers that seem to be trusted sellers if I'm to believe threads here on Spektra (which I do of course). Some things are throwing me off though, because some of the bar code-labels are different.

1. All of the depotted pans are smooth underneath
2. All of the pots have that golden shimmer shown in the pics in this thread
3. Some boxes read 1.3g while others read 1.5g, but I've heard that this occurs - even with genuine MAC?
4. I'm sure all trays had that small indent in the middle (thrown away after depotting before reading this thread)
5. All edges seem to be clean cut, at least I think so

So, my question is: should I be afraid?

I don't understand what the difference in the fake vs. authentic box is in the pictures of the bar code, the sides, the back and the front? Also, what is the difference between the two in the pictures of underneat the pot - is it the number, or the direction of the label? Could someone please make this clearer?

Some of my pots also have a "pressed" number in the back (e.g. A27), while others look like both the pots on the picture. I'm confused! Every single one of these pots have been bought from sellers that are known to sell authentic MAC according to a couple of different forums.

Bar code labels CAN be different and that shouldn't throw you off unless they're ALL THE SAME for DIFFERENT shades.

Eyeshadows do come in 2 different weights, 1.3g and 1.5g. The tray (that holds the eyeshadow pan) SHOULD be smooth and not matt-like, if you know what I mean.

With the pictures of the boxes, I just wanted to show the entire thing, including the printing, rather than just the front shot of the boxes. If you look more closely, the boxes have different textures, ie shinier, and "blacker" (if that's a word! hehe). Fake boxes tend to scratch EASILY.

As for underneath of the pot, there SHOULD be the tiny flecks of gold sheen and the middle is slightly raised. The direction of the labels should NOT be used to determine whether the eyeshadows are fake. Ok, just pulled out my fake stash (Thank Julie!!!) and noticed that ALL the fakes' labels have a set way of placing labels BUT that still doesn't mean you can use label directions to determine whether its fake or not!

It's just like the pigments with the printed and stamped batch codes on the labels under the jar, some eyeshadows are the same.