Face charts - Woot woot!!

VioletB

LOL sorry about the woot woot part!! I am an exciting person.

As many of you know I just started at MAC. Uhm, hello. I totally love it, it's so awesome. When I worked for Lauder I would do face charts, totally playing around, nothing serious. I'm pretty good at eyes and stuff.. but I just want to know tips!! How to get the lips so "creamy" looking with the little shine bubble on them... How to blend cheek color a little better on paper.. blah blah blah. So my fellow MAC artists, show a girl some love.

PS - How awesome is this. In order to receive our gratis we have to complete a face chart from the collection. Does anyone else do this?? I love the idea it gives me an opportunity to practice and do a really really good job. TIA everyone!!
th_worship.gif

baybehbekah

half of my counter hates doing face charts hahaha none of them would get there gratis if that was the case!
smiles.gif

DirtyPlum

Are you in the Uk or US?

Yep, we have to complete a face chart for our upcoming Update but I didnt know our EMS depended on it! We have to complete one that complies with the colour theory, I have until next week to think of what I'm going to do and then do it!

A really good tip that helped me (I'm such a beginner!) is using Matte - like only a tiny amount on the cheeks and eyes as a base... it helps the colours go on a lot smoother and intensely.

I'm interested in hearing other tips too...

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
Are you in the Uk or US?

Yep, we have to complete a face chart for our upcoming Update but I didnt know our EMS depended on it! We have to complete one that complies with the colour theory, I have until next week to think of what I'm going to do and then do it!

A really good tip that helped me (I'm such a beginner!) is using Matte - like only a tiny amount on the cheeks and eyes as a base... it helps the colours go on a lot smoother and intensely.

I'm interested in hearing other tips too...

I'm in the US.. it's not our EMS that depends on it, it's the gratis that we get with upcoming collections.. We don't get it unless we do a look with it!! Thanks for the tip.. I would've never thought about using Matte.. that's awesome.

MAC_Whore

I am glad you are enjoying the process Violet.
smiles.gif
Face charts can be tricky at first, but once you pick up the tricks, no worries.

- Use stiffer brushes, anything soft and fluffy won't push the colour onto the sheet.

- I applied blush/contouring with the 190 brush.

- Learn to love bases for the eyes. If you want a true, vivid colour, use the Luna CCB.

- Blend with cotton balls or q-tips.

- For a super shiny lip, apply clear nail lacquer over the lips (this requires a light application of lip products).

- Learn to leave uncoloured (white) spots on the high plains of the lips to give the illusion of shine

- Learn to draw in a curved line at the middle of the bottom lip with liner to give the illusion of pouty, full lips.

- Always start with a little product and gradually build up, as you can add, but you can't erase.

- Be very light-handed and start within the lip line when applying lip liner.

- Draw in lashes with Boot Black liquid liner. IMO, lashes are the hardest thing to master. Do the the eyes including lashes before you do anything else on the chart. It is easy to F up the lashes and if you have already done the rest of the chart, you have wasted your time.

Ummmm...that's all that I remember, atm. There are other threads on this topic if you do a search.

You are a better sport than me, because personally, the concept of face charts = gratis always pissed my off in principle. You are giving me the makeup because I am required to wear it, but you hold it ransom for some face charts??? It made me feel like a kid who couldn't leave the table until I finished my vegetables. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway...have fun.
winks.gif

MAC*GIRL08

Ok i feel like an idiot - what is gratis? and i like the face charts, but the paper is hard to find if you want to print your own.

User49

I totally second using boot black liquid liner and 209 brush to do lashes. It makes them look amazing. And use a nike tick to do the lashes so they are more natural. I'm still getting the hang of the facecharts too! We have to compleat one for our next update training! I think that to do the lips it's easier to use a lip pencil and my manager said do little bits and blend at a time! And leave the two middle bits of lower lip empty to create illusion of full glossy lips! We should have a section for face charts on specktra! xx

amoona

Face charts are the devil lol. They are hated by money and loved by few so if you love them then you're lucky. You'll probably be one of the people who practices and actually does them and gets good at them.

I avoid face charts but when I HAVE to do one here's some tips -

-Use a lil bit of fast response eye cream as a base for the eyeshadow.

-After lining the lips with a pencil blend out the pencil before adding lip color.

-Use a 210 and boot black for lashes.

MAC_Whore

Thanks, Amoona. I forgot to mention the #210 for lashes. I used to bring my own from home just to do face chart lashes, as we didn't carry that brush.

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC*GIRL08
Ok i feel like an idiot - what is gratis? and i like the face charts, but the paper is hard to find if you want to print your own.

gratis literally means "without charge" so they give a few pieces from each collection to the MAs so they can wear & promote the newest collection
smiles.gif

as for me, i dont mind doing face charts but i always seem to get it messed up some how
smiles.gif
the brushes that i use the most are 242 252 ... lots of practice!

here are a couple of my face charts. they aren't perfect by any means! between smuggie lip liner, uneven eyebrows, & funky lashes. i try my darnest to get the faces to look even! i like to keep them and see my progression, hopefully progressively getting better! *remember i am new! some of the artist i work with are amazing, and do stunning face charts *

IMG-1-1-1-1.jpg

IMG-2-1.jpg

crissy22

^Those are great
smiles.gif
thmbup.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC*GIRL08

I'm a make-up artist, but dont work for MAC. I do face charts on my own; bought some water colour paper, and it works great
smiles.gif

erine1881

um, they can't do that! gratis is given to everyone, no matter what. and you aren't required to do face charts for any reason until after you've been to basic. that's where they teach you what to do/use. until you go to basic, you're not required to know how to do a face chart.

if they won't give it to you, then i guess they can't expect you to be wearing the new colors.
th_dunno.gif

II3rinII

facechart5.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...facechart4.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...facechart3.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...facechart2.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...facechart1.jpg

fafiface.jpg

those are a few of mine.

i use either luna ccb or MATTE texture cream as a base. i also build the face with a light color like brule and the 242 or 252 brush. i use the flat liner liner brush alot to create depth with the eye and lips. i also use carbon on the lips. lashes i do with boot black and the disposable liquidlast brush with most of the hairs cut off (so its uber thin). apply clear nail polish to the lips and lashes so they dont smudge. hopefully those tips help.

VioletB

Thank you so much for everyone's tips!! Keep 'em comin. I totally think facecharts are fun... But I am the type that still had coloring books in high school!!
smiles.gif

Latest posts