Fallen Princesses - Disney Princesses Clash With Reality

User93

When I was little I was always wondering what happened to the princesses after the happy ending and a marriange with a prince! I was even admiting the fact things were not that good (hey, that counts, I was a kid). I liked Snowy a lot - so simple yet sooo striking! That prince looks so fun.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnowMomo
I think trying to make a huge statement about characters from children's movies is a little ridiculous. I wouldn't want my kids watching anything less than the innocent, slightly moral laced Disney movies. I just don't really get picking on something like this...

I don't mind morals, I mind the culture that has sprung up based on the Disney perfect princess, you need to remember that the original Sleeping Beauty for example is closer to Anne Rice's Beauty with rape as part of the story line, Grimms cleaned them up but these stories did not start as children's tales, and now they have fundamentally changed such simple things as mother goose to have positive endings, because it's unacceptable to have an ending that's not happy!

As I said Snow White speaks to me, I see daily women who have been raised and are raising their daughters in this princess mind set, they think everything MUST have an happy ending, they do the whole woe is me thing if everything is not perfect because they think they are perfect.
nope.gif
Whatever!

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis
you need to remember that the original Sleeping Beauty for example is closer to Anne Rice's Beauty with rape as part of the story line,

OMG...Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy was amazing...

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
OMG...Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy was amazing...

Yes!! my book whore will come out now, I own first prints of all 3
th_DANCE.gif

I wish she'd write come more books like these, oh well

nelyanaphonexia

thanks for this post. I enjoyed these photos, even though they aren't the best of qualities, I still like the concept. I actually liked the Cinderella photo the best. Mostly because of the darker setting and lighting.
smiles.gif
Also liked the Rapunzel and Belle shot.
yes.gif

ForgetRegret

Quote:
Yes!! my book whore will come out now, I own first prints of all 3
th_DANCE.gif

I wish she'd write come more books like these, oh well

AAAHHH! That's amazing!
th_worship.gif

...it's ok, I'm a book whore too.
smiles.gif
I wish she'd write more of those too...I loved that trilogy even more than the vampire chronicles (which I was soooo obsessed with in HS). She needs to turn more fairy tales on their ear..

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
AAAHHH! That's amazing!
th_worship.gif

...it's ok, I'm a book whore too.
smiles.gif
I wish she'd write more of those too...I loved that trilogy even more than the vampire chronicles (which I was soooo obsessed with in HS). She needs to turn more fairy tales on their ear..

she won't she only writes Christian books now
cry.gif
But since the vamp novels weren't near as bdsm tinged as these she did get tamer as the years progressed
But there are plenty other authors playing with the fairy tales and spicing them up.

For books with a good story line and a growing sex/bdsm line check the Laurell K Hamilton, Anita Blake series.
Laurell K. Hamilton Official Site

My books are my first love I buy them before MAC and handbags, lol, if I can only grab 1 other thing after family in a fire it'll be my books, I have first prints and 1 very rare one that I would cry to have to buy again.

IDontKnowMomo

Quote:
I don't mind morals, I mind the culture that has sprung up based on the Disney perfect princess, you need to remember that the original Sleeping Beauty for example is closer to Anne Rice's Beauty with rape as part of the story line, Grimms cleaned them up but these stories did not start as children's tales, and now they have fundamentally changed such simple things as mother goose to have positive endings, because it's unacceptable to have an ending that's not happy!

As I said Snow White speaks to me, I see daily women who have been raised and are raising their daughters in this princess mind set, they think everything MUST have an happy ending, they do the whole woe is me thing if everything is not perfect because they think they are perfect.
nope.gif
Whatever!

Idk, I'm only 18 and when I was little I never thought that the princesses were supposed to be terribly "perfect". I understood that they weren't real situations, because of the magic and fairy tale-like scenarios, so even if the characters were perfect, I didn't think I had to be.

and I love that series by Anne Rice
yahoo.gif

cupcake_x

These were funny! I especially loved the Snow White one. That one is too true for words.

But c'mon, Belle would never go and resort to cosmetic surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
have ya'll read the comments on the "not so little red riding hood" one??

jeeez

Haha, you made me go read them. "YOU SUCK. NO REALLY. YOU. SUCK".

LiAnn

For the other bibliophiles in the thread:

If you're looking for a good retelling of a fairytale, check out Robin McKinley's Deerskin. Not a bowlderized version of a fairytale, though not as strongly graphic as LKH - teens could read them, even younger teens, but I would be cautious about giving this particular book to, say, an average eight-year-old because of the incest/rape. (And yet some bookstores stick this book in the children's section, along with McKinley's other books...stupid chains and their braindead marketing/shelving rules.)

Latest posts