Fav MA... Fired?!?!?!?!?!!!

OnaFyre

So, I went to my MAC store today and found out that my fav MA got fired, or at least that's what was implied when I asked directly... I'm a bit in shock. She'd been with MAC for a few years and was the asst. manager at this pretty new store. I just can't imagine what she could have done. MAC MAs- what would be considered a fireable offence? I'm sure we could all make guesses, but really what kind of thing would be serious enough that the other MAs don't know what happened and the other managers won't discuss it. Has anyone elses fav MA been let go? Man this sucks...

A slight amendment: My VERY favorite MA works at another counter in town, and he will never be replaced in my little MAC heart. She was just my fav ma at the MAC store.

MAC_Whore

Some supervisors are pretty serious about meeting sales goals and tardiness.

We had an amazing artist at the counter that I used to work at. She was really skilled, but didn't make her sales goals so they fired her.

FacesbyNiki

ssad.gif

I'm sorry to hear that.

lah_knee

artistry is only one slight aspect of working for mac.

you have to make your goal! volume is important. more important than AUS (average unit sale)... also attendance and tardiness is important. TIME-KEEPING as well! (ie not clocking in and out for breaks or having other people do it for you) anddd also if you're caught sharing your benefits with people like the discount or selling stuff online or through your own personal business ¬__¬

ishtarchick

well, one of my fav MA's got fired bc of "differences" with her manager, the truth is her manager was a mean b*tch to her, some personal stuff that went way back to when they were both students i believe.
ssad.gif
i was so sad to see her go too.

thegirlgotsoul

MAC favorite MA was also fired due to lack of reaching sales goals at her counter.

And she was AMAZING at doing makeup and dealing with customers.

LAAAAAAAAAAME.

Deirdre

Is this true? If so, I'm not feeling as comfortable with the product, as I was...

I'm sorry, but people have to be treated fairly. I really have problems with companies with "quotas" - it's so, so, factory!

giz2000

Besides getting canned for not meeting sales goals (if I recall correctly, you get three chances...after the third time of being spoken to about it, you're gone), they can also get fired for theft, letting others use the employee discount, tardiness and calling out sick all the time, selling your gratis on Ebay, etc.

SARAHluvsMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaFyre
So, I went to my MAC store today and found out that my fav MA got fired, or at least that's what was implied when I asked directly... I'm a bit in shock. She'd been with MAC for a few years and was the asst. manager at this pretty new store. I just can't imagine what she could have done. MAC MAs- what would be considered a fireable offence? I'm sure we could all make guesses, but really what kind of thing would be serious enough that the other MAs don't know what happened and the other managers won't discuss it. Has anyone elses fav MA been let go? Man this sucks...

A slight amendment: My VERY favorite MA works at another counter in town, and he will never be replaced in my little MAC heart. She was just my fav ma at the MAC store.

you wouldnt happen to be talking about columbia would you?

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre
Is this true? If so, I'm not feeling as comfortable with the product, as I was...

I'm sorry, but people have to be treated fairly. I really have problems with companies with "quotas" - it's so, so, factory!

Bleh...

I had a really well thought out post about this... And my cat sat on the ESC key and erased it. So this is the basic version because I dont care enough to re-write it.

MAC employees knew it was a quota sales job when they decided to work there. If they didn't know, it was explained to them. There not being treated unfairly, there just not doing their job. I doubt it's impossible to hit a minimum sales goal if your being a proper retail sales person, and not just an order taker (this doesn't involve pushing product on customers, thats just as bad as being an order taker if not worse).

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Bleh...
There not being treated unfairly, there just not doing their job. I doubt it's impossible to hit a minimum sales goal if your being a proper retail sales person, and not just an order taker (this doesn't involve pushing product on customers, thats just as bad as being an order taker if not worse).

Actually this isn't a fair generalization. There are a quite a few reasons why someone may not be able to make their sales goals while maintaining the proper AUS/IPT. It's not simply just selling enough but you mush also meet the minimum AUS/IPT for your location, which is not easy with the enormous amount of returns and one item purchases that we see on a daily basis.

It is up to the manager of a location how the things are done so for example I work at a store so we get quite a few employee sales. SOme stores spread the wealth (the sales are usually quite large) of those sales amongst the entire staff, some stores set it up so mostly only the managers are getting those sales.

Also your manager may give you projects that keep you off the sales floor not to mention stock requirements which for some locations may be a weekly requirement which is really time consuming.

Each store has its own focus, for some its total dollars brought in and for others it may be AUS/IPT. That focus may change mid month, year etc. as well. It's not easy to switch your selling style. I've seen people go out onto the floor and get three good sales then stay off the floor (doing stock or special projects) so they don't mess up their aus/ipt. They didn't bring in much money but the store's focus was asu/ipt so they did well. When the store's bottom line started suffering and the focus changed to total dollars those people had a hard time increasing their sales and not having their averages suffer. And three months of not making your numbers will get you fired.

It's not easy.

Vicky88

As much as I like MAC, it seems to be changing a bit lately. The products are too similar as past products, they're not as good quality (some things) and a few other things... it doesn't seem like the same MAC I fell in love with.

Things like sales goals aren't what I thought MAC was about.
ssad.gif

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
Actually this isn't a fair generalization. There are a quite a few reasons why someone may not be able to make their sales goals while maintaining the proper AUS/IPT. It's not simply just selling enough but you mush also meet the minimum AUS/IPT for your location, which is not easy with the enormous amount of returns and one item purchases that we see on a daily basis.

It is up to the manager of a location how the things are done so for example I work at a store so we get quite a few employee sales. SOme stores spread the wealth (the sales are usually quite large) of those sales amongst the entire staff, some stores set it up so mostly only the managers are getting those sales.

Also your manager may give you projects that keep you off the sales floor not to mention stock requirements which for some locations may be a weekly requirement which is really time consuming.

Each store has its own focus, for some its total dollars brought in and for others it may be AUS/IPT. That focus may change mid month, year etc. as well. It's not easy to switch your selling style. I've seen people go out onto the floor and get three good sales then stay off the floor (doing stock or special projects) so they don't mess up their aus/ipt. They didn't bring in much money but the store's focus was asu/ipt so they did well. When the store's bottom line started suffering and the focus changed to total dollars those people had a hard time increasing their sales and not having their averages suffer. And three months of not making your numbers will get you fired.

It's not easy.

Exactly. Don't forget that if you do have a co-worker that stays off the floor to keep good IPTs/AUS, Murphey's law states that the person left on the floor will get a dozen one item sales.
rofl.gif

k_im

Whoa... that would seriously depress me if my fave was fired. Whatever happened to people skills? :]

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear

Explain AUS/IPT

Is that Average Unit Sale? Items Per Transaction? lol just guessing...

SARAHluvsMAC

yes it is... AUS=expected to be $50 or above
IPT=3 items per transaction

but no one really cares about ipt.. its all about the aus

and btw- ppl just don't get fired for crappy sales and AUS... just because you liked her doesnt mean she was shady in other areas

Raerae

So basically they want you to sell 3 items per sale, with a value of 50 or more for the purchase if I'm reading that right? At a minimum.

Latest posts