Fav MA... Fired?!?!?!?!?!!!

Deirdre

I wonder how many of the counters in my department store do this? I'm going to start asking more questions about sales expectations and employment requirements, in future. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of sales quotas. I think a fair day's pay for a fair day's work is the only acceptable employment practice. Once your job depends on the randomness of customer traffic and whim, I'd imagine it stresses people out. I doubt that the job pays enough to evoke that kind of stress.

I may be painting myself ignorant, here, to some, but that does not change my point of view. Slave owners in the early 1800s had quotas. I don't like quotas.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre
I wonder how many of the counters in my department store do this? I'm going to start asking more questions about sales expectations and employment requirements, in future. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of sales quotas. I think a fair day's pay for a fair day's work is the only acceptable employment practice. Once your job depends on the randomness of customer traffic and whim, I'd imagine it stresses people out. I doubt that the job pays enough to evoke that kind of stress.

I may be painting myself ignorant, here, to some, but that does not change my point of view. Slave owners in the early 1800s had quotas. I don't like quotas.

Quota's don't have any impact on how much you get paid, other than the comission paid over the base rate. Generally retail type stores are X dollars an hour OR comission, whichever is greater. X dollars typically being minimum wage. If your lucky, you'll get a job that pays minimum wage + comission. If your really unlucky, you get paid minimum wage regardless of how well you sell (think Best Buy if you have ever worked there). So essentially they are getting a fair days pay, for a fair days work. You dont sell anything you get minimum wage. If you do a good job at selling, the company pays you your comission wage because of the better production you did as an employee selling your products.

All quota's are, is a measure of how well you are doing your job as an employee compared with the expectations the company demands of the employees that choose to work there. Why should a company keep lazy person A who doesn't care about doing their job (selling), and only cares about making minimum wage. When they can easily replace them with Productive person B, and in the process, sell more product, and pay person B more than person A. Let lazy person A go work for a non comission retail position if they just wanna hang out, there are plenty of those availible for people who dont want to work in a comissioned environment.

Quota's have nothing to do with slavery... They are defeneteley not there to find ways to fire good hard working individuals. In fact, most companies would rather never have to fire anyone, and just have productive individuals. Turn-over costs companies a lot of money. It costs them money to train the new hires (they are not making any money during this process). They also may end up hiring people who dont perform up to par, and as a result, lose all the time/money put into training that person.

If you've ever managed in sales, typically the people who get fired specifically because of not meeting minimum company standards, probably shouldn't have been working there in the first place. Nothing against those people in general, they are just not cut out for a position in comissioned sales. Not everyone is cut out for a job in sales. Thats why there are plenty of opportunities out there that dont involve selling. But if you can't do the most basic sales related techniques, like offering product a customer doesn't ask for (Almost every MA at MAC I have dealt with is just an order taker, there not a sales person) your not going to make it.

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAHluvsMAC
you wouldnt happen to be talking about columbia would you?

That's what I was wondering! I noticed a few changes there already.
But I'm sure there are quite a few other new locations where this could have happened as well.

velvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre

i share a lot of your point of view, having just worked for dillards as a sales associate
we were NOT commision, however our daily quota did factor into how much we got payed/treated
if you didnt make your daily sales goal after a month your department manager has a "talk with you". the sales goal for my area PER person was around $2,500, yet the departmets was only $2300 on a given day. and there were 5 to 6 people on the floor in my area. as you can see it involves a lot of competition and stepping on a LOT of people, including the customers.
for example, on more than one occassion i spent an hour or more helping people only to have another sales associate STEAL my sale. then there is a restocking and markdowns ect.. its a very stressful job if you have empathy towards your co-workers, and dont just care about yourself..... or dont like being stepped on
after 6 months of not reaching every single daily goal your hourly pay decreases. they wont fire you at first, but they will make it worth your effort to leave.
Dillards (at least in my city) treats their employees like garbage. im not even going to get into how the managers treated us. this is just the quota bullshit. so if working for mac, even worse working for mac in a dillards, is anything like what i went through i seriously feel their pain.

edited for spelling

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet
i share a lot of your point of view, having just worked for dillards as a sales associate
we were NOT commision, however our daily quota did factor into how much we got payed/treated

Yeh, non comissioned sales jobs are the absolute worst. Been there done that, would never do it again.

Sales is def not easy, and not for everyone.

user79

I'm sort of on the fence about the sales goals dilemma. On the one hand it sucks because a great MA with skill may get fired because s/he can't reach the goals, but on the other hand, it's like that with a lot of retail jobs, and we haveto remember MAC IS a retail company first and foremost! So it's nothing really totally unusual and it would be naive to expect MAC to be different than almost all other retail jobs. They are makeup artists, but they are also there to sell the product, and if they can't do that, they shouldn't be working at a counter, but try to find work in the fashion industry or something.

Also, when you think about it, MAC is probably making more money now than it was years ago, so it's also able to invest more money into product development, new collections, hiring great spokespersons (Viva Glam) etc etc. So it's not all bad. I mean it would suck if MAC went bankrupt because it hired amazing MAs who sucked at selling the products...

calbear

Ohhh and please don't get me started on the lack of inventory to help with those great sales we are supposed to get. If you came in with a list of the the 187 brush, point black liquid last, fascinating eye kohl, a sharpener, mythology eye shadow, a blush palette, lash primer, some #2 eye lashes, and a foundation pump - of those we have the sharpener and the pump. So now what might have been a $100 sales is now a $7 sale.

It is really hard to then talk that person into other items to make that a good sale - we don't have what they want and so they typically wil buy what we do have and go somewhere else - like the Macy's that is right across the hall to get the rest.

Not so easy.

MiCHiE

I think good product sells itself. I'm not interested in people pushing product on me and, in most cases, Push=Returns. I like honest, helpful and product-educated sellers.

geeko

Same here. My fav MA (who is now working Dior...quitted his job with EL) advised me against from buying too much...(not that i listen anyway..hahaha) and he also advised me buying eyeshadows which he felt were not suitable for me.

I liked his sincerity and the tips he gave on applying make up. Liked buying stuff from him because he's sincere. too bad...

Many nice MAs i know are quitting..heard that they have problems with the MAC management....but they don't want to say...

hmmm...

IcePrincess2250

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionaltart
not making AUS/IPT, tardiness, bad attitude, not in MAC black, no makeup

I wish!! I almost got fired for wearing too MUCH makeup!! Mind you it was a highly conservative job that thought even just mascara, gloss, and no shadow was too much, but hey! I would kill to get in trouble for NOT wearing makeup.

Each job has it's ups and downs I guess...

asnbrb

Well, I can truly see this from management's point of view. My BF is a manager at Circuit City. He is responsible for getting everyone in his section to meet the overall sales goal. It may sound sh*tty of him, but he'll fire his good friends if they weren't making their goal on a consistent basis. They knew that it was a sales position from day one and he gives them chances and sit down lectures. If they can't do their job- they're gone.

I thought his job was pretty stable until he came home one day and told me that the general manager was canned. No warning or two weeks- they already had his replacement ready to fly on down to Hawaii. The problem- the store wasn't meeting sales quota. I mean, how many friggin' tv's can a store sell in a day? Anyway, the gm wasn't pushing his staff hard enough and was pretty lax in everything and now he's gone.

I guess my point is (I know, I ramble), that if the managers don't do their job, there's always someone above them who's willing to fire THEM for not coming down on those under them.

OnaFyre

Quote:
you wouldnt happen to be talking about columbia would you?

No.

Quote:
and btw- ppl just don't get fired for crappy sales and AUS... just because you liked her doesnt mean she was shady in other areas

If she was "shady," why would they make her an assistant manager at a counter and then hire her on as an assistant manager at a brand new store and put her in line for territory trainer? She's been with MAC for 6 years, I think "shady" would have shown up before 2 weeks ago... It is interesting that you would assume that...

professionaltart

Quote:
yes it is... AUS=expected to be $50 or above
IPT=3 items per transaction

but no one really cares about ipt.. its all about the aus

and btw- ppl just don't get fired for crappy sales and AUS... just because you liked her doesnt mean she was shady in other areas

AUS is YOUR COUNTER's average, its not always $50, its actually $40+. Then if your counter average is above 40+ then that becomes your goal AUS. My counter average is 43+ so thats the AUS i need to hit.

and yes people do get fired for poor AUS, granted I dont know the MUA that got fired but maybe she was shady maybe she wasnt maybe her AUS was really bad we dont know.

professionaltart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaFyre

If she was "shady," why would they make her an assistant manager at a counter and then hire her on as an assistant manager at a brand new store and put her in line for territory trainer? She's been with MAC for 6 years, I think "shady" would have shown up before 2 weeks ago... It is interesting that you would assume that...

huh...thats weird...then it cant be AUS either (im my opinion) they wouldnt make her manager and then regional trainer and etc.

iiifugaziii

Quote:
No.

you never know. i knew a mac ma that was with mac for like 3 to 4 years and recently got canned for stealing! everyone was really surprised. but when people do get fired, the managers and associates really aren't supposed to talk about it. for whatever reason it may be.

SARAHluvsMAC

Quote:
No.

I am not assuming anything... trust me I know... I have worked for MAC for awhile...

they just don't fire people for no reason, even an assistant manager, especially if they need ppl they will tolerate them and write them up in hopes that they will change

they just dont fire people for no reason at all... whatever it was, im sure it was a combination of things, whether she was underproductive in terms of sales or performing poorly in another aspect, that is the point... she was fired for a reason.

I'm sorry that she was your favorite but I can speak from experience that there is alot of drama that customers don't see and that might have been a reason she was let go.

There are hundreds of MA dying to work for MAC... y would they keep someone there who does not improve when they could potentially get someone there that is better

OnaFyre

So, I've done a little digging.

A few weeks ago, a woman came in and made an appointment for one of those private room, $90 sessions for a big event she had coming up. The manager put my fav MA on the case, because she was the best artist working that shift. The woman was VIP so she put in a new (to the store) girl to assist (this is where the information comes from).

The lady was a big event planner, the event that night was a benifit for an important organization in town. She spent the whole time on the phone getting upset over the last minuet detials. Aparently, the contract with Ruth Chris steakhouse was never signed so the catering was falling apart within hours of the event. The woman started yelling at someone on the phone who hung up on her. She then snapped at my MA and told her to "finish the f- up."

Then the worst thing that could happen happened. The VIP moved to answer her phone while getting on her eyeliner and got a eyeful of Blacktrack. Needless to say the lady was pissed and my MA was super apologetic. VIP kept saying she woud have her job for this.

A fireable offence? I don't know...

As it turns out, the VIP was actually the wife of the owner of the newish mall and the owner of a different mall where a new MAC store will be opening later this fall. I'm sure we can fill in the blanks from there.

So, it sounds political to me. In fact, my MA had often overshot her sales goals and was a talented makeup artist. So, it has nothing to do with sales goals, a need to "improve," "shadyness," or internal drama.

ms.marymac

I'm sorry, but if that lady had held still while getting her eyeliner done she would not have had eyeliner in her eye. It only takes a minute or two to apply it, she couldn't wait that long to answer her phone? And WTF is up with her speaking to that MA like that? It is not easy to apply makeup to someone who is on their cell phone, esp. when they are upset. Her makeover would have prolly gone a lot quicker if she had not been on the phone. I hope that VIP (Vile Ignorant Person) learned her lesson! You jerk your head like that you might get poked in the eye! Too bad the MA got fired b/c of a self absorbed jerk.

soapbox.gif