First Tattoo

AlliSwan

Half a xanax. If you don't want to self-medicate, drink some water and either bring a friend or a stress ball to squeeze! DO NOT SQUIRM!

user4

ummmm, dont drink liquor even though it will dull the pain a bit, it thins blood so u'll bleed more than usual... and dont be high cuz it hurts more. thats about all i can tell ya!

aziajs

Depending on where you get it, you may not experience that much pain. It also depends on your toleramce for pain. I got mine on my lower back and it HURT LIKE HELL!! I almost wanted to cry. But I know several people who have gotten them that said they didn't hurt that much. Just try to relax and take deep breaths. And a stress ball wouldn't hurt.
smiles.gif

litlaur

Make sure you eat a meal before you go. You might think that the pain will make you sick, but it's worse to have low blood sugar. On that note, take some gum or candy with you.

lovemichelle

thanks girls.. its gonna be on the back of my neck.. i dont have any meds just advil. but i will make sure to eat.

my boyfriend is going with me and the only thing that sucks is i hurt my neck last night and its hard to move. the guy doing it is really nice and he was like i it hurts we stop and i will sit here as long as u need.. but he charges by the hour so i'm not gonna be stopping much.

Gabriella

Definately eat something, I was so nervous when I went I couldn't eat very much but my boyfriend (He has a few tattoos) made me eat. I am so glad I did. The first time I didn't eat very much and I felt a lot worse the entire time. When I went to get it touched up I ate before, and even though it hurt just as I didn't feel as sick. Of course I am a dummy and got my tattoo in one of the worst spots (All the guys at my shop said the hands, FEET and head are the most painful spots) I got mine on my foot. Also be careful what meds you take because some of them will thin your blood as well, if you bleed to much the artist can't finish. Good luck!

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella
Definately eat something, I was so nervous when I went I couldn't eat very much but my boyfriend (He has a few tattoos) made me eat. I am so glad I did. The first time I didn't eat very much and I felt a lot worse the entire time. When I went to get it touched up I ate before, and even though it hurt just as I didn't feel as sick. Of course I am a dummy and got my tattoo in one of the worst spots (All the guys at my shop said the hands, FEET and head are the most painful spots) I got mine on my foot. Also be careful what meds you take because some of them will thin your blood as well, if you bleed to much the artist can't finish. Good luck!

the artist told me the back of my neck shouldn't hurt too bad, but the tattoo itself shouldn't really take all that long.

Gabriella

Thats good. I did talk to someone that had that done and she said she fell asleep while getting it! lol what are you getting?

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella
Thats good. I did talk to someone that had that done and she said she fell asleep while getting it! lol what are you getting?

everyone freaks out when i tell them.. it's my boyfriends name.. i haven't seen the drawning yet he did it up last night, but if i dont like it he will re-do it until i do.

does that girl handle pain well? i kind of can, but i hope i fall asleep.

lovemichelle

also what did everyone use on their tattoos afterwards.. like the ointment.. my boyfriend knows, but i want other opinions too.

jasper17

The back of the neck, for me, didn't hurt. However, I'd rethink getting someone's name tattooed there, boyfriend, husband or otherwise.

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper17
The back of the neck, for me, didn't hurt. However, I'd rethink getting someone's name tattooed there, boyfriend, husband or otherwise.

do u have a pic of your tattoo there?

the guy tried to have me re-think it, but i have for a long time. were not gonna break up and even if it does happen down the road the time we have spent together now will be very special to me and the tattoo would be a reminder of those good times.

jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle
do u have a pic of your tattoo there?

the guy tried to have me re-think it, but i have for a long time. were not gonna break up and even if it does happen down the road the time we have spent together now will be very special to me and the tattoo would be a reminder of those good times.

You never know what's going to happen. I've been with my husband for 6 years and married for 3 of those and I would never get his name tattooed on me because you just never know what could happen. I don't want to have to have something covered over on the off chance, no matter how slight, he and I don't stay married. A lot of the more reputable tattoo artists won't even put a name on someone for that very reason.

If you really want something there, make sure it is something that will *never* change - and you can say right now that you think you will always be w/ your boyfriend but that possibility is out there, even if it is a miniscule possibilty and then you might spend the rest of your life regretting having something that marks those "good times."

For me, I picked my astrological symbol - it'll always be that same thing and will never change, except if I add to it. Of my four, this is the one that people see the most and which has the most meaning.

Make it worthwhile.

virgotattoo.JPG

lovemichelle

Quote:
You never know what's going to happen. I've been with my husband for 6 years and married for 3 of those and I would never get his name tattooed on me because you just never know what could happen. I don't want to have to have something covered over on the off chance, no matter how slight, he and I don't stay married. A lot of the more reputable tattoo artists won't even put a name on someone for that very reason.

If you really want something there, make sure it is something that will *never* change - and you can say right now that you think you will always be w/ your boyfriend but that possibility is out there, even if it is a miniscule possibilty and then you might spend the rest of your life regretting having something that marks those "good times."

For me, I picked my astrological symbol - it'll always be that same thing and will never change, except if I add to it. Of my four, this is the one that people see the most and which has the most meaning.

Make it worthwhile.

virgotattoo.JPG

how long did that take?

people wont see mine. i have long hair and its always down. thats why i chose that spot. its the most covered for me.

lovemichelle

Quote:
About a half hour - it's just black linework with a little bit of fill-in.

i'm hoping mine isn't more then an hour then because it is defiantly gonna be bigger then that.. his name is 6 letters and theres some detail coming out from it.

i went to one other place and the lady wanted to just take a font off the computer and tattoo it. this guy is actually drawing it out for me in a few different styles.

YOOTOPiA

the back of your neck shouldn't hurt too bad. the only thing i noticed was that my hands got cold...
i find that chewing gum always helps and some music to pass the time =)

aziajs

Well, I am not going to try to talk you out of it (getting his name) cuz I know that you have already decided what you're going to do. Me telling you it's not a good idea isn't going to mean anything. So good luck.

As for the after care, I put A&D ointment on it for a while. I then start putting a thick body cream on it. But I can't remember the timeline for the whole process. But I know that I still put body cream on it now, 2 years later, cuz I hve dry skin and my back, in that area, always feels tight.

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOTOPiA
the back of your neck shouldn't hurt too bad. the only thing i noticed was that my hands got cold...
i find that chewing gum always helps and some music to pass the time =)

i was thinking about bringing headphones with my mary j cd.. and ill def. bring gum.