For the VERY LONG HAIR GALS: hair style

sugrcooki

Quote: Originally Posted by Piarpreet

my hair is 35 in long and I need ideas for new hair styles.

1) I went to mall and i saw this hair pin stand all swarovki kinda rhinestones (all malll has one of these super tacky stands) and I missed out on getting a 2-prong long hair stick to create 2 hair styles the lady taught me but my friend rushed me out... where can I buy such sticks/pins? I searched on ebay but they are all 6cm /2.5in tal which is TINY for my hair... like no friggin way.

I always see hair sticks/pins at the asian supermarket. However, there's something that might work even better for your length of hair...have you tried Spin Pins? They're from Goody, and they are great! My hair used to be mid-thigh, but I cut it and now it's down to my hips. However long, spin pins work wonderfully. They look funny, but will hold your hair very securely. It's the only accessory that will actually hold my hair up all day and even when I workout. Seriously. Not enough long-haired women know of these little funny-looking pins...

I just about always wear my hair up and this is my everyday 'do:
1. Tie your hair back into a high ponytail with your scrunci or maybe something smaller.
2. Twist your hair like you're going to wrap it into a bun, but keep an opening in the inside, like you're going to tie a knot with your hair.
3. Basically, tie your entire pony tail into a knot. I wrap my hair around 2 or 2 1/2 times before I pull it through the loops.
4. When you pull your hair through, it will look like a regular pony tail coming out of the center of a bun.
5. Adjust the position of the knot so it's comfortable, then secure it with 2 spin pins.

I like this style because it's so easy to do, super low maintenance, and it's a subtle way to keep my long hair low-key. Most people don't even realize that it's so long, but my hair is also not that thick, either, so easy to disguise it this way...not sure if that's what you're looking for.

You could tuck the ends in under the knot, too.

Jennifer Apple

I always use the big roller pins from walmart and pin my hair as I twist it up. My hair is mid-thigh and thick. lol I used to have my sister french braid my hair but then I moved away and had to learn to do it on my own. It took alot of practice. It took an hour for my sister to do my hair in a curly bun when I got married, in fact it started late because of that.

jimmyjjohn

Hi,

My hair is just about down to my hips. And it is like super thick. And it is summer and is scalding hot and humid as hell. I usually put my hair in a ponytail and it sticks to my sweaty back and causes matting. But when I try to bun it I have too much hair for a hair scrunchie. But I also can't figure out any other ways to put it up. Even if I do get it up, it falls down quick. Suggestions?

elkaknits

I have a double pronged hair stick I recently purchased from Moira Silver … the prongs are not that long @5" however my hair is at high hip and I have a lot of it. I twist my hair and then wrap it into a regular bun tucking the ends under, insert stick from base of neck diagonally up to other side of bun. As soon as it clears the bun I flip the stick over along with bun and thread it through downward to starting point. I get a real old fashioned victorian look to it. This is how they taught me to use the sticks.

I suggest you spend some time at the long hair community forum. They also sell multi pronged things and sticks on etsy etc or long haired forum.

Re: cutting your hair. One thing the long haired forum gals do is called 'search and destroy" which {I don't do it so may not be clear on what is happening exactly} they twist little strands of hair and trim off any bit that sticks out or is split. It doesn't affect the length at all but just gets rid of the split bits for health. Mac-guy is correct. The split can travel up and ruin your hair to the point that it just breaks off if you do not get rid of them. However I am not sure if this would be in keeping with your religion and mean absolutely no offense if something like that is not okay. I am hoping it might be helpful since it does not affect length…...

I googled and watched the first half of this video and noticed they are tons of videos on the topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSiS4ToAslc

AndersenDmz

LaDollyVita33 (LaDollyVita333 also) on YouTube has some amazing hair tutorials, as well as a very comprehensive video "dictionary" about all sorts of braids how-tos. She does styles similar to Torrins but her hair isn't near as long. It takes some patience and practice but it is well worth it :) Here's the link to her braid-tionary! You'll see, she's amazing ~ http://www.ladollyvita33.com/#!Braidtionary/c1rfl/71633624-2849-46B9-B45E-249D152552BF