Foundation Primer for Oily Skin

caffn8me

Re: Help me find a make up primer that is not silicone based

Out of interest, what problems do you have with silicone?

Dreamergirl3

Laura Geller Spackle ingredients: Water, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethiconol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Centaurea Cyanus Flower Extract, Lecithin, Bisabolol, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

user79

Honestly, most primers do contain silicas and other gliding ingredients to help you apply the foundation smoothly and evenly. If you don't want those ingredients, what's the use of a primer? I actually don't think primers are necessary if you don't want that gliding effect, it won't necessarily make your foundation last longer. Use an oil free moisturizer beforehand and then just set the makeup with loose powder for a long lasting effect.

Heiaken

I've noticed that silicone based primers make me break out more so out of interest I was wondering if there even is a primer that is not silicone based but still helps the make up last longer. But it seems that there really is none/few. I just wanted to know if there are other ingredients that will help you to give the same benefits that silicone but with out the clogging of pores.

Since I have a very oily T-zone primers help the foundation just look better longer in those areas and also I have redness and small tiny pumps and when I don't use a primer on that area after a few hours the redness starts coming through.

I asked this guestion because I don't really know that much about face primers and needed help.

glassy girl

I have a few primers that r silicone and i love but i ordered mac's prep-prime spf50 and it didn't feel like my other primers more like a rich moisturizer it helped my makeup stay on all day but im not sure on the ingredients thou.

SpringDancer

I'm pretty sure Clarins Instant Smooth doesn't have silicone in it. It's a great primer.

caffn8me

You might find this article written by a dermatologist interesting.

It says;

Quote:
Use foundations based on silicone.
While powder is preferred to protect sensitive skin, women choosing
a liquid foundation should look for one with a silicone base. Liquid facial foundations based on silicone do not cause acne, and silicone has a very low incidence of skin irritation.

It may not be the silicone irritating you but another component of the primers.

Heiaken

^Thanks for the info! I will look in to it.

aziajs

Well, I have the same problem you do. I also think it's the silicone. I have tried several primers, all with a silicone base or with silicone in them and I always break out. Someone has to make a primer that doesn't. I have tried:

Smashbox Photo Finish
Smashbox Photo Finish Light
Benefit That Gal
MAC P&P SPF 50

Heiaken

I'm pretty sure that SFF breaks me out but for some reason Diorskin Forever that als contains silicone (dimethicone and silica) doesn't break me out but MAC P+P also does.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiaken
I'm pretty sure that SFF breaks me out but for some reason Diorskin Forever that als contains silicone (dimethicone and silica) doesn't break me out but MAC P+P also does.

It's something with the primers. Maybe it's the combination or concentration of silicone with other things. SFF has never broken me out and I am sure I have worn other foundations with silicone that haven't. It's the damn primers. Actually, I don't think MAC foundation has ever broken me out but others have. That's why I like it although the color match isn't 100%, but that's a whole 'nother thread.
smiles.gif

Heiaken

I'm pretty sure the primers are more of an issue that the foundations on me also.

lilmzkimmylady

Re: Face Primer for oily skin

girl... let me tell you... i have the SAME problem. I have tried tons of different ones and it took me awhile to see which ones were really working and which ones... werent.

i have had good results with MUFE All Mat and currently, I'm using something called DERMAdoctor Tease Zone. It's like skin care plus primer rolled into one product. I absolutely love it because it also doesn't make you breakout because it's designed for those who are acne prone. I highly recommend it! Hth! =]

gingerbelle

OP,
I feel your pain, I have extremely sensitive skin and most things block my pores. It is important to understand that a lot of the time it isn't an allergic reaction - its blocked pores. This MUA member's notepad has become my bible. Scroll down for the lists of comedogenic ingredients. I hope it's OK to post the link.

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sloro

I religiously read the ingredient list on everything and make sure it is free of the worst suspects. Even so, there's a 50-50 chance a moisturizer, primer or foundation I buy will clog me.

HTH!

Macnarsandlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_angry_nipple
The NARS primer does not have silicon and doesn't have oil.
$33 for 50ml or 1.7oz.
I'm not sure if the Nars primer with SPF is the same..i would assume so.

The primer with spf is less and also has a white cast. u really have to make sure u rub this in and dont photograph in it.

X4biddenxLustX

I feel your pain, my skin too is picky. Some silicone based primers it hates while others it's okay with. I've had the worst time trying to find a silicone free moisturizer since I've noticed that a lot of them irritate my skin too.

There is a silicone free primer from Fresh which you could find at sephora. You could probably go there and ask one of the MA's there for some suggestions since they have quite a wide variety of products there.

Since you've mentioned you have some oily issues, maybe try some Milk of Magnesia as a primer? This will help with the oilness and I'm pretty sure it's silicone free.

Latest posts