friends w/ exes?

spectrolite

My ex is my best friend. We were together for 7 years and I see no reason to cut off contact with someone I spent so many years with. We had some great times and went through many difficult situations together. I do find it hard to meet other people with him always around though... If we go out, even with friends people just assume we are together...
weeping.gif
I don't want to stop being friends because of that though. I don't have any other family in this country or many close friends either. I don't know what I' d do if he wasn't around.

CantAffordMAC

I don't see the point. That's like living in the past. I would feel very uncomfortable if my boyfriend was friends with all/any of his exes (even though they aren't ex gf's, they are just ex-fucks) I just don't see why its necessary...at all

That being said, I am not friends with any of my exes and I do not wish to be. They weren't good people, and even if we had broken up on good terms, I know how uncomfortable it would make my boyfriend (I love the fact that we both pretty much feel the same way about things...he knows that it would make me uncomfortable if he talked to a lot of girls or talked to his exes, and I know it would make him uncomfortable if I was doing it)

If you have that kind of relationship, and you and your partner are fully committed but want to stay friends with your exes, then go for it I guess. Personally, I don't see the point. That's just awkward.

jenii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMittens
I've never really remained friends with my ex's. I mean, I never really saw a reason to.

Precisely how I tend to feel about it. Because I usually wasn't friends with them to begin with, there's no reason to try being friends with them after the relationship ends.

zori

I am cordial with my exes when I do see them but never bothered to maintain a friendship. None of my exes were friends first then we developed into a relationship so when we parted ways, there was no need to keep contact.

My DH is the same way, he is not in contact with his exes and like me, does not care to be. I don't think I'd have a problem with it if he was friends with one of his exes as long as there is no 'residual chemistry' there. The less drama in my life, the better
smiles.gif

chocodcocoa

My bf stays close friends with his ex... with whom he had a VERY painful breakup!!!! Bugs the hell out of me but he doesn't see it as an issue...

I think it's only okay for exes to become friends if the breakup was mutual or if they just grew apart... no more feelings =)

KAIA

^^^^^^^^ completely agree with this.
I am friend with one of my exBFS, we split like 3 years ago.
But I think you need some time, after the relationship is done, we split in 2004, and we started to talk beginning of this year, and it's all fine, we have no feelings for each other, he has his own life, and I have mine.
I also think it depends on what kind of relationship you had.. we were friends, and our friendship lasted much more than being bf/gf.