Frustrations With MAC

MaryJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminbarley
In your example, if it was based on the advice of an MA, then, IMHO, you should be able to return it.

But I think that if you made the mistake and bought the wrong product then you should take responsibility for that mistake. I just don't think people should be allowed to return things just because they changed their mind. It's wasteful, IMHO and I don't think it should be encouraged.
th_dunno.gif

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but I think that some people (not saying you in particular) may rely too heavily on MAC's generosity and with such a lax returns policy, there are knock-on effects.

I don't think Mac would ever do this..it would be a customer service disaster. There are plenty of times that I buy products in the store but don't try them on until I get home. It's at that point I realize I don't like the color or change my mind because I have another color that is similar. As a customer, I would not appreciate being told 'sorry you changed your mind, you have to keep a product you really don't want'.

Personally, I don't think Mac is being 'generous' with their return policy. Most retailers have a return policy that allows for returns of items regardless of the reason. I've returned cosmetics to department stores for many reasons and have never had a problem, Mac's return policy isn't unusual.

MaryJane

Quote:
^^ Perhaps it's different where you are.

Here, most shops have a very strict returns policy, particularly with personal care products.

So, not sure that I can agree that it'd be a "customer service disaster."

Maybe it is different where I am ~ I've lived all over the U.S. and have never had issues returning cosmetics, perfumes, etc. When you say 'here' where do you mean?

DirtyPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMY
FYI for people complaining about MAs not knowing what's in a collection. Last year MAC released 49 collections. I don't know how many products that would entail, but let's say six products per collection for a nice round number, though that's probably low. That's 294 products within a twelve month period. This year we're already on collection number 20 (Colorforms) and it's only July. I imagine it would be hard enough to keep track of the permanent Mac catalog, but to try to keep track of the constant influx of products every two weeks would be very difficult.

Wow thanks for that!

JustDivine

This whole returns business is incredibly wasteful IMO and it all trickles down in the end, because the eventual cost to the company gets passed on to the consumer through increases etc...

I think that the lax returns policy makes people take liberties and knowing that the stuff will be thrown away whether it is used or not should encourage people to think more carefully before they buy things.

It's a company policy issue as well as a personal customer responsibility.

ratmist

Quote:
"Here" is the UK. Over in the US, the customer probably is king. In the UK, I don't think the general perception is that returning personal care products just because you've changed your mind is 'acceptable'. We're questioned very closely and are forced to kick up a big fuss, call the supervisor, write to the area manager, etc. before anything happens and even then, there's no guarantee that you'll walk away with a refund.

This is just a general post in case anyone from the UK or visiting the UK wants to know the rights on refunds. This isn't a general response to jasminebarley.

From the Trading Standards Central:

When are you not entitled to anything?
  • If you were told of any faults before you bought the goods.
  • If the fault was obvious and it would have been reasonable to have noticed it on examination before buying.
  • If you caused any damage yourself.
  • If you made a mistake, e.g. you don't like the colour, it is the wrong size etc.
  • If you have changed your mind about the goods, or seen them cheaper elsewhere.
The situation may be different and you may have additional rights where contracts involve:
  • credit (see ‘your rights when buying on credit’);
  • distance selling i.e. not involving face to face contact, for example internet sales, catalogue, telephone sales etc. (see ‘shopping at home’); or
  • an unsolicited phone call or visit to your home.
In other words, if you buy online through MAC's UK website, you can return for any reason through the seven day cooling off period. This is covered by law, but the laws vary slightly depending on what country of the UK you're in.

Buying in a Shop in Scotland:
"I have just purchased something that I do not want anymore. Does the shop have to give me a refund?"
No! You are only entitled to a refund if the goods are defective, not as described or not fit for their purpose. However, the trader may be willing to give you a credit note.

Buying in a Shop in England, Wales and Northern Ireland:
"I have just purchased something that I do not want anymore. Does the shop have to give me a refund?"
If you purchased goods for cash after visiting a retailer, then no. You are only entitled to a refund if the goods are defective, not as described or not fit for their purpose. However, the trader may be willing to give you a credit note. If, however, you bought goods from a trader and the contract was concluded by means of distance communication, e.g. over the phone, internet, or from a catalogue, then different rules apply. In these circumstances you may be entitled to a cancellation period. (See our 'Distance selling' leaflet.) Also, if you bought goods with credit organised by the retailer, different rules apply. (See 'Your rights when buying on credit' leaflet).

Know your rights.

Quote:
At grassroots level, SAs in the UK seem to have a nose for people who they think are "trying it on." It would be a rare and lucky person who'd be able to get a refund without any questions being asked.

Not necessarily. Most major shops and brands don't have a problem with this, in my experience. If MAC are so concerned with the environment as evidenced by the B2M programme, they shouldn't have a problem with recycling returned goods, if they cannot put them back out for sale. *shrug* Sorry, just how I feel about it.

Quote:
Whilst I appreciate the fallback of being able to return a product, for whatever reason, I also see the other side and how that could impact a business. The bigger picture is that there's bound to be some kind of knock-on effect of all this wastage. Even if we don't look at the environmental impact, there's the financial bottom line. Customer service might get you the sales but if you make refunds easy then that cuts into your profits.

Edit: Of course, I'm not asking anyone to care about any of this. You may want to stand by your consumer rights - good for you! I just think that in the long-term, such a customer service policy isn't sustainable. Something has got to give.
th_dunno.gif

I rarely return things. If I return it at a makeup counter it's almost always because it's not worked for my sensitive skin. I think there's an argument there that could be made, i.e. if it says it's suitable for all skin types, or suitable for sensitive skin, and I still end up with a reaction, I feel I am entitled to a refund.
th_dunno.gif
The product didn't work "as described" or "as purposed".

faetis

Quote:
I'm not sure how widespread it is in terms of how strictly each counter adheres to it but I find it very wasteful that people buy products only to then return one or more or even all of their purchases because they've changed their mind or it "doesn't quite work." For example, someone might buy more than three different colours because they can't decide, only then to return two of them days, weeks and even months later!

Since MAC discards that product, it's very wasteful, IMHO.

I can understand that MAC puts a lot of emphasis on customer satisfaction but part of me wonders about the financial and long-term costs of so much wastage and whether or not it would be better to have a more strict returns policy to minimise wastage, with the money saved going towards product development, for example.

Edit: Also see my post further down for more clarification.

I know what you mean. Personally, whenever I buy a new product whether it's MAC or some other brand, if I don't like the colour, I'll go back to wherever I purchsed the product from and ask a MA for suggestions on making it work. I just feel there 99% of the time, it's not that "you don't like the colour", it's more of "you just haven't figured out how to make it work yet". Most of the MAs I've met, whether MAC or some other company, are more than happy to help you out. Just my two cents.
winks.gif

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMY
FYI for people complaining about MAs not knowing what's in a collection. Last year MAC released 49 collections. I don't know how many products that would entail, but let's say six products per collection for a nice round number, though that's probably low. That's 294 products within a twelve month period. This year we're already on collection number 20 (Colorforms) and it's only July. I imagine it would be hard enough to keep track of the permanent Mac catalog, but to try to keep track of the constant influx of products every two weeks would be very difficult. Then when you have someone who comes in and wants you to go into the "way back machine" and compare an item from a limited edition of say two or three years ago that you no longer have, to some new item that just came in three days ago, well then, that's when I'd start pulling my hair out if I was an MA. In three years time, that is around eight or nine hundred limited edition products to try to sift through, which would be nuts to expect someone to have memorized. MAs are people, not computers.

I don't think a lot of the people here, who think that just knowing what products are coming out in the next month somehow makes you more qualified than a Mac MA, have any idea what the job is like. Working eight hours behind a counter with the public is vastly different than sitting at home in a comfy chair perusing Specktra and memorizing the upcoming collections for the items they are interested in.
Just had to vent because I'm tired of people thinking they understand what it is like to be a Mac employee when actually they have not a clue.
Not a Mac employee here, just venting. And showing the MAs some respect. Personally I've never had a bad encounter with a Mac employee, but maybe that's because I have realistic expectations.

well ... i disagree actually. i do know what it is like to be a sales person working at a cosmetics counter that frequently releases new collection lines. No, it its not completely unreasonable to ask of a person who's job it is to supposedly sell these collections and products to know about the products and the colors. maybe not to have it all memorized 6 months in advance, but things coming out within the next few weeks, come on, its your JOB to know these things. its the basic retail job description. even if youre a MAC MA. if you dont have product knowledge how are you suggesting things to clients? stick to the same 5 eyeshadows you know? if so i dont know how good your sales are unless youre just the bomb at convincing people to buy a narrow range of products. it makes you look so bad to work at a counter that is infamous for being a very coveted position and when asked a question you dont know your ass from your foot?

if its a problem of sheer volume of the number of products they have to know... tell me why my Sephora MA's have the ability to know information, colors and collections cross brand? if youre at your job for a period of time, you gain product knowledge and know these things, unless its your first week then its understandable. but once again its in your job description to know these things.

so yes, to a degree i disagree with your venting, because at the end of the day we the consumers are going to the counters to ask about products that they are being paid to sell, and they look at us like we made up the whole thing? no thank you.

SMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
well ... i disagree actually. i do know what it is like to be a sales person working at a cosmetics counter that frequently releases new collection lines. No, it its not completely unreasonable to ask of a person who's job it is to supposedly sell these collections and products to know about the products and the colors. maybe not to have it all memorized 6 months in advance, but things coming out within the next few weeks, come on, its your JOB to know these things. its the basic retail job description. even if youre a MAC MA. if you dont have product knowledge how are you suggesting things to clients? stick to the same 5 eyeshadows you know? if so i dont know how good your sales are unless youre just the bomb at convincing people to buy a narrow range of products. it makes you look so bad to work at a counter that is infamous for being a very coveted position and when asked a question you dont know your ass from your foot?

if its a problem of sheer volume of the number of products they have to know... tell me why my Sephora MA's have the ability to know information, colors and collections cross brand? if youre at your job for a period of time, you gain product knowledge and know these things, unless its your first week then its understandable. but once again its in your job description to know these things.

so yes, to a degree i disagree with your venting, because at the end of the day we the consumers are going to the counters to ask about products that they are being paid to sell, and they look at us like we made up the whole thing? no thank you.

On the other hand, the level of "expertise" I've experienced at a Sephora counter, leads a lot to be desired.
winks.gif
I think there are some real difference between a Sephora counter and a Mac counter that you maybe overlooking. I love my Sephora, don't get me wrong. I just know I'm not going to get the level of expertise there, that I would get at MAC. Usually, I'm pretty much on my own at Sephora, unless I wrangle an MA.