Frustrations With MAC

Macnarsandlove

I have found several things frustrating about MAC here are some of mine and I would like to hear yours. Dont get me wrong I spend almost every penny of my "disposible income" on the stuff and I get a "funny feeling" when I get stuff I've been lemming over, BUT... Dont some things just make you kinda "Damn you MAC! Why did you do this to me?" Here are some of mine:

1- I just went to a cco and they had more shadows and blushes than the counter. NO LIE. I saw everything from msfs to nordies exclusives and thought CRAP. I saw all the tendertones I love that I ran out and bought. I started to count the $ I wasted on stuff but at the same time I know that this was a fluke cco outing for me so I chalked that up. I guess I'm just salty. Wait I definitely am, anyway...

2- Bring back the stuff that you know ppl love. Parrot is coming soon but metal rock and petticoat have yet to make another appearance. Just re-release the stuff even for the ppl that complain about constant re-promotes.

3- This has more to do w/ employees that "freestyle" at the counters. By "freestyling" I mean the we do accept b2m w/no metal pans or we dont. And my favorite that I go after buying $200 worth of stuff "We dont give samples cause ppl sell them on ebay". I have worked in retail and since I didnt own Express I couldnt say I am going to change that policy cause I want to. I'm going to guess that there is some leeway with what managers well do at there location but cmon.

Now your turn. I am a true MAC fiend and I really dont see it stopping any time soon but some things are simply frustrating. Thanks for looking!

aeni

I dislike the idea of .50 increases each year. For me it comes down to "How much would you pay for an e/s in 10 years?"

I dislike it, but I still pay it.

Angelah

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith130

2- Bring back the stuff that you know ppl love. Parrot is coming soon but metal rock and petticoat have yet to make another appearance. Just re-release the stuff even for the ppl that complain about constant re-promotes.

3- This has more to do w/ employees that "freestyle" at the counters. By "freestyling" I mean the we do accept b2m w/no metal pans or we dont. And my favorite that I go after buying $200 worth of stuff "We dont give samples cause ppl sell them on ebay". I have worked in retail and since I didnt own Express I couldnt say I am going to change that policy cause I want to. I'm going to guess that there is some leeway with what managers well do at there location but cmon.

They normally do bring back things people loved that much, hence why they are bringing Parrot back among other things to come. It may not be as soon as everyone would like, but MAC has always been good to it's customers, so don't worry
smiles.gif

As for the MAC Artists "freestyling" -- we really aren't supposed to take back eyeshadows without the pan in it. People try to use the metal pan as one piece of their 6 recycles and that's not fair. So those who are taking the plastic pots with no metal pans are not following company policy. And as far as the samples go.. I have yet to hear that we cannot give samples. MAC sends us their own sample cups for that specific purpose. So the sampling is at the artists' discretion. Obviously if someone is asking for a sample cup full of each pigment we sell, that's a little crazy and I'd give them a big fat DENIED
winks.gif

Something that irritates me about MAC -- we don't always get our gratis on time! Hahaha. I get sad when I don't have my product to play with by the time the collection launches because I hate sampling for myself
ssad.gif

bartp

first we have to be honest with ourselves :
these sentences might describe an avid Mac customer
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
- eager to try everything
- eager to know everything
- looking good is just a first step, we always believe we can improve
- can't easily be fooled by trends, but eager to take a trend on board with a good dose of criticism
- fond of the past, and equally passionate about the future
- we all want our favorites back, but in some way, they are our favorites because they were LE's
- we all complain about not finding that ultimate product, and yet we "complain" that we can't keep up with all the different new collections.

what irritates me :
- - - - - - - -
- I dislike the fact that LE products can be sold out, and then a few months later you hear from someone that people bought the same products in some kind of sale or CCO
for me:

LE - for me - means : available for a short time, and not available as a form of "shortage"

- - - - - - - -

what I admire (before this thread becomes to negative)
- - - - - - - -
- I admire the patience of MA's. They get bombarded by our questions and rumours. I don't think that there are any other shops where salespeople are confronted with the same kind of customer.
- I admire MAC's potential to re-invent items and colours. It seems like something is changing or shifting. With all the collections that we have seen this last year, it's like a store is becoming more LE than permanent collection.

what I'd like:
- - - - - - - - -
- samples : I'd like some - more honest - system, where you can save up for samples.
- or maybe some kind of "gift with purchase" promotion, who can resist that. (and it might help us take in any raises in price)
- therapy for learning to cope with LE items. It's not the end of the world if we weren't able to get it, because they always have something better and brighter waiting around the corner.

KeshieShimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelah
As for the MAC Artists "freestyling" -- we really aren't supposed to take back eyeshadows without the pan in it. People try to use the metal pan as one piece of their 6 recycles and that's not fair. So those who are taking the plastic pots with no metal pans are not following company policy.
(

It sucks that not ALL counters/stores follow this policy.

CaraAmericana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartp
first we have to be honest with ourselves :
these sentences might describe an avid Mac customer
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
- eager to try everything
- eager to know everything
- looking good is just a first step, we always believe we can improve
- can't easily be fooled by trends, but eager to take a trend on board with a good dose of criticism
- fond of the past, and equally passionate about the future
- we all want our favorites back, but in some way, they are our favorites because they were LE's
- we all complain about not finding that ultimate product, and yet we "complain" that we can't keep up with all the different new collections.

what irritates me :
- - - - - - - -
- I dislike the fact that LE products can be sold out, and then a few months later you hear from someone that people bought the same products in some kind of sale or CCO
for me:

LE - for me - means : available for a short time, and not available as a form of "shortage"

- - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - -
- I admire the patience of MA's. They get bombarded by our questions and rumours. I don't think that there are any other shops where salespeople are confronted with the same kind of customer.
- I admire MAC's potential to re-invent items and colours. It seems like something is changing or shifting. With all the collections that we have seen this last year, it's like a store is becoming more LE than permanent collection.

what I'd like:
- - - - - - - - -
- samples : I'd like some - more honest - system, where you can save up for samples.
- or maybe some kind of "gift with purchase" promotion, who can resist that. (and it might help us take in any raises in price)
- therapy for learning to cope with LE items. It's not the end of the world if we weren't able to get it, because they always have something better and brighter waiting around the corner.

what a healthy response = )

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelah
As for the MAC Artists "freestyling" -- we really aren't supposed to take back eyeshadows without the pan in it. People try to use the metal pan as one piece of their 6 recycles and that's not fair. So those who are taking the plastic pots with no metal pans are not following company policy.

But on the flipside, you have people like me who spend hundreds of dollars every time I go in (freestanding store); and yes, I bring back pan-less pots because I depot all of my shadows. I buy refills when I can, but LE isn't available in pan only.

So, why should I be punished while trying to recycle because I depot? I was told that they don't even take individuals pans B2M. Sounds like there might confusion about many B2M aspects because I've been told it can't be used for LE items, but others have noted here that they do receive LE items for their B2M.

th_confused_new.gif

Macnarsandlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartp

- - - - - - - -

I feel the same way. Please forgive me if it came off really negative. I just came from a CCO that had lightscape msf to shadows I know were sold out on the site. All I can think is there are so many ppl that want this stuff and would pay full price if the could just get it.

what I'd like:
- - - - - - - - -

I feel the same way. Please forgive me if it came off really negative. I just came from a CCO that had lightscape msf to shadows I know were sold out on the site. All I can think is there are so many ppl that want this stuff and would pay full price if the could just get it.

Definitely a better sample system that can be more sanitary and with better guidelines. Lets be honest this brand has transformed into a retail, "insert your fav dept store here", consumer NOT ma artist brand. I understand sticking to your roots but prepackaged samples would be great.

O GWP... I have read here overseas they have a GWP at some MAC counters. That would be a good way to stay competitive with lancome,clinique etc. But I think they know their customers (like me) will buy regardless. As opposed to an estee lauder customer that might go to clinique if the have some special.

Great responses ladies!!

MAC_Whore

I look at the GWP as a double-edged sword. Sure, you are getting something up front, but they recoup that money elsewhere in increased prices. If we don't care for the periodic .50 increases, it won't feel any better if they change it to a periodic .75 increase to cover GWP giveaways.

As far as the .50 increases, the reality is that they give away a lot of product to employees and industry, we are where they recoup that. They offer a great benefit to pros with the pro card, we are where they recoup that. That's business.

As far as stuff in CCOs, that doesn't bother me so much. I see that as an added bonus. Another chance to pick something up or get a back-up at a reduced price.

I do dislike the inconsistancies in "rules" and info at different counters or amongst diff MAs at the same counters. MAC isn't good at communicating sometimes, but then again, sometimes ee's don't take the time to learn. Aside from that, there is an unbelievable amount of product that MAC pumps out now. It really is a lot to take in. Even I, who has always had a freakish ability to retain MAC product knowledge, loose track of it now.

As much as LE can rub me wrong, it is also an opportunity for fresh products and new experiences. So, again, give and take. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. Half empty-half full, you choose.

MiCHiE

The only gripe I have with MAC is that they charge for a PRO discount that could be free.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
The only gripe I have with MAC is that they charge for a PRO discount that could be free.

I would love the best of both worlds: 40% off and no fee, but I would rather pay $35 a year and save 40% than pay nothing and get a smaller discount. For me, it pays for itself in less than one visit. Factoring in the fee versus what I spend/save, my discount annually still works out to over 38%.

Some of the other discounts that I receive for free are only 10% & 20% off. Better than full retail, but my kit is primarily MAC, and I'd be lying if I didn't say the discount was part of the reason. Of course, it doesn't hurt that MAC has always been my favorite line. However, I would probably experiment with other lines more often if the discounts were greater.

MiCHiE

That's why I said could instead of should. And, MAC could do both---give a good discount and do it for free. Other lines do it. I think all of our discounts pay for themselves, but if you're going to demand so much proof (of artistry) and payment.....come on now. And, they didn't always charge for membership, which is why I bring it up.

Miss_M

I'm in The Netherlands and one of the things that bother me about MAC is the fact that there is no B2M program in every European country. As far as I know only the U.K., Spain and Germany have a B2M program.

Another thing that frustrates me is the fact that my counter (the only one in my city) doesn't restock LE items like in the U.S. If it's gone, it's gone. We can't order from their website either, so you constantly have to be on top of things so you don't miss out on collections, which can be very frustrating and stressful. If you wait a week after a collection has been released, the chances are that everything is already sold out, since MAC is still pretty exclusive and not widely available here.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
Sounds like there might confusion about many B2M aspects because I've been told it can't be used for LE items, but others have noted here that they do receive LE items for their B2M.

th_confused_new.gif

I agree. I've been told that by my MAC Counter, too and it was kinda frustrating. Along the same lines...if MAC Stores allow B2M items to include shadows and lip glasses and not just lipsticks, then why not the counters, too? That doesn't make too much sense to me.
th_dunno.gif

Babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_M
I'm in The Netherlands and one of the things that bother me about MAC is the fact that there is no B2M program in every European country. As far as I know only the U.K., Spain and Germany have a B2M program.

There's also the B2M program in Italy.

knoxydoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I don't like it when I say MSF and the mac sa thinks im loony lol.

That happened to me the other day. I said I was looking at getting one of the Natural MSFs and she looked at me and I said Mineral Skin Finish... and she's like ooooohhh I love them. She is blond and a little ditzy but she was really nice and helped me out a lot. She's one of my more favourite MAs.

foreveratorifan

having worked for MAC and now work for Estee Lauder, TRUST me that you DO NOT want to have a GWP at MAC. I feel personally, that GWP's diminishes a brand a bit. Now, sampling is a bit different.

All I ever hear now is...are you in Gift? When's the next gift? ALL customers expect something FREE from Clinique, Lauder or Lancome. Whereas brands like Bobbi Brown or MAC dont experience that.

That's my biggest complaint moving from MAC to Estee Lauder.

gabi1129

i love just about everything, except 2 things. 1) that there isnt a Pro store here in Chicago! and 2) when i ask for a product by name and i get looked at funny. i mean if i came in the day the collection drop and u just got in u might not know. but if i come in 2-3 weeks later, hmmm. i work in retail and when we get new items itll take me like a day and ill know the product. thats why i always go to my MA Samantha!

bartp

girls and guys,
if this thread doesn't get us all a job at MAC's marketing departement I don't know what will. I'm impressed by the thought that everyone is putting into this. waw