Frustrations With MAC

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabi1129
i love just about everything, except 2 things. 1) that there isnt a Pro store here in Chicago! and 2) when i ask for a product by name and i get looked at funny. i mean if i came in the day the collection drop and u just got in u might not know. but if i come in 2-3 weeks later, hmmm. i work in retail and when we get new items itll take me like a day and ill know the product. thats why i always go to my MA Samantha!

i agree! you work at MAC. i KNOW you know about collections coming out before they come out. tell me why i went in to pick up some paint pots when they came out with painterly and the MA looked at me like i made it all up. same thing happened when i went to ask about the lipsticks from mcqueen. c'mon. why do i know more about your product than you? give me your job please.

Krasevayadancer

Pro card discounts aren't available when you go to a counter.
Also, inconsistency in releasing collections across the board. For example, stylistics only being available at f/s and certain quads only being avail at counters.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasevayadancer
Also, inconsistency in releasing collections across the board. For example, stylistics only being available at f/s and certain quads only being avail at counters.

I agree. My closest counter is over an hour away, and the closest store is about 2 hours away from me. Of course, with pro card, there is not much reason for me to go to the counter anymore.

SparklingWaves

I want a PRO store in my area.
smiles.gif

panther27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasevayadancer

Yeah that really bothers the hell out of me why restrict where certain things go?
angry.gif

Macnarsandlove

I also miss the better brush sets. I remember I bought the brush sets that came out in 2002. I still have them and they look better than the ones i got last yr. The bag the brushes came in was functional with places for them so go in, had another side that u could fit a lot of makeup in. Too bad that MAC cheapened the brush set. But I guess in the other hand the have made 3 different sets and have more lip/eye palettes so I guess its a trade off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther27
Yeah that really bothers the hell out of me why restrict where certain things go?
angry.gif

I think that the "exclusivity" thats involved in pro/fs only collections is for 2 reasons:
1- MAC knows their customers-most ppl that just want a lipgloss or an eyeshadow is going to be confused in the cause of the stylistics and say y would i pay $20 for this when i could get one for $14. No difference to the regular person.
2-See the "Roberto Cavalli for HM" thread. The fact that is exclusive to certain locations makes it more of a frenzy when buying. Red no 5 lipstick from last yr was featured in several magazines and was sold out everywhere i went (5 locations) in different areas. The rest of the collection was well recieved I guess cause they did it again this year.

darkishstar

Yeah, I adore MAC too, but there are a few little issues as well... D:

-Too many LE collections. Don't get me wrong, I adored the holiday sets, but a lot of the other collections I passed on. I'd like to see more colors added to the permanent line instead. And some of the colors released in LE are so pretty that yeah, some colors of each new collection I think should be made part of the permanent line. I think this would be a good idea.
-I think pre-packaged samples would be nice. Especially for foundations.
-Some inconsistency with collection releases. Sometimes there's an item missing from the display! It makes it really hard to request for that particular item. Sometimes the MA's will be confused.

And the one that bothers me the most:
-The return policy. Yes, it is nice to be able to return anything if it doesn't work for you or if you're allergic to it etc. But it annoys me when I see other people return things out of buyer's remorse or if they got a make-over done and don't want to shell out at least $40 for products in return. It needs to be reworked somehow. Because that's what drives up the MAC prices as well.

FacesbyNiki

Whew!

Ok.. with that $35 fee for the Pro card you are not only getting discount on makeup but you are able to meet other artist and attend classes and special events. I look at the $35 as a fee for that. Yes, you have to pay $100 to attned a pro class but you get that back in product and you can use you pro card also. Look at the other benefits of it. Like someone else said, the pro card pays for itself in one visit.

As far as LE's stuff being at COO's, well, I feel that has alot to do with Estee Lauder, remember, MAC is a business, this is a business. They need to make money.

And about you guys knowing more than the MAC artist, they aren't on spectra like we are. They only know what they are told at Updates or meetings, so please be kind to us when you do walk up to the counter talking about next years holiday collection in March. LOL

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
-I'd like to see more colors added to the permanent line instead. And some of the colors released in LE are so pretty that yeah, some colors of each new collection I think should be made part of the permanent line..

my counter is running out of room for the permanent stuff we already have. we would have no room whatsoever if we made some LE stuff permanent.

Quote:
-I think pre-packaged samples would be nice. Especially for foundations.

mac has 9 different foundations, and a shit-ton of colors of each one. do you realize how many pre-packaged samples mac would have to make for foundations? then to make them for lipsticks, lipglass, etc.? that would cost too much. thats why we can make samples of liquids, powders and creams. its alot cheaper to make them on demand than to pre-package them for every product in every color.

Quote:
And the one that bothers me the most:
-The return policy. Yes, it is nice to be able to return anything if it doesn't work for you or if you're allergic to it etc. But it annoys me when I see other people return things out of buyer's remorse or if they got a make-over done and don't want to shell out at least $40 for products in return. It needs to be reworked somehow. Because that's what drives up the MAC prices as well.

i agree with you on this one. it pisses me off when a customer gets their makeup done, buys the product, and returns it a few days later cause they wanted it done for free in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Whew!

Ok.. with that $35 fee for the Pro card you are not only getting discount on makeup but you are able to meet other artist and attend classes and special events. I look at the $35 as a fee for that. Yes, you have to pay $100 to attned a pro class but you get that back in product and you can use you pro card also. Look at the other benefits of it. Like someone else said, the pro card pays for itself in one visit.

thank you!
yes.gif

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
my counter is running out of room for the permanent stuff we already have. we would have no room whatsoever if we made some LE stuff permanent.

mac has 9 different foundations, and a shit-ton of colors of each one. do you realize how many pre-packaged samples mac would have to make for foundations? then to make them for lipsticks, lipglass, etc.? that would cost too much. thats why we can make samples of liquids, powders and creams. its alot cheaper to make them on demand than to pre-package them for every product in every color.

i agree with you on this one. it pisses me off when a customer gets their makeup done, buys the product, and returns it a few days later cause they wanted it done for free in the first place!

I guess then for me it would just be better to just have fewer LE collections then. I forgot that there needs to be room to put the permanent collection as well!

Yeah, it would cost too much, but I guess my issue with the samples then is how they're made from the ones on display? (Or maybe that's just from the freestanding store I go to?) I'm a germ freak, so I guess that's why I don't like why there's no pre-packaged ones. Maybe they should use a new one and set that one aside specifically for samples? I dunno, I guess it doesn't bother me too much, it's just a tiny issue after all. I still love MAC to death.
greengrin.gif

Thanks at least for opening my eyes up to some issues. I wouldn't know because I don't work at any MAC counters or stores.
greengrin.gif

wordgirl

The only thing I'd add is that I wish they'd do something to improve the stability of the lipsticks.

I found a limited edition that I loved. I almost bought two. Then I thought to myself why bother? By the time you use the first one up the second will smell awful. Maybe selling them in airtight packaging - like the mascaras - would help.

lah_knee

people keep going on and on about how much they spend at mac. regardless if u spend 1000 bucks or 14, the rules apply equally. they tell us artists what to take and what not to accept for b2m. rules constantly change so sometimes theres confusion. but its not done on purpose. b2m is a generous program either way. ive never heard of a cosmetic brand that gives out full sized items of your choice for empty containers lol

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah_knee
people keep going on and on about how much they spend at mac. regardless if u spend 1000 bucks or 14, the rules apply equally. they tell us artists what to take and what not to accept for b2m. rules constantly change so sometimes theres confusion. but its not done on purpose. b2m is a generous program either way. ive never heard of a cosmetic brand that gives out full sized items of your choice for empty containers lol

No doubt, it's a nice program. However, IMHO, there is a difference between someone who spends a lot and someone who buys a single item here and there. Someone who spends a lot of money also is typically a lot more profitable for the company than someone who buys an item every now and then; so, making a concession at times for a person who spends a lot of money is not unheard of, and it also generally a good practice.

Companies typically give some leeway to managers in this regard because they realize that sometimes accommodating a profitable customer is part of the cost of doing business.

My opinion is based on a retail management background and the fact that it is the MAs at my FS that told me about depotting (even adding that I should bring the empty pots back to the store for B2M versus a counter.) Until I started going to the FS, I had a gazillion pots and no room.

It is only here on specktra that I hear them accepting my pan-less pots is a no-no; and my store doesn't take pans, but it is only here that I hear that B2M does take pans. So, if they are bending the rules for me, I am unaware of it and apparently so is this entire MAC FS that I go to.

I do believe manners & good service should be extended to everyone regardless of amounts spent, but I don't think it's right to say that people are wrong to have *reasonable* expectations if they do spend a lot.

ellemarie

This is not a centralized problem with MAC as a company, just individual stores, but it seems like they always overbook appointments for events. I'm sure there are many valid explanations for long wait times. I would just assume someone in charge would see how long people have to wait and adjust as well as possible. The MAs look like they're going nuts!

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah_knee

I agree with this - people shouldnt be treated differently based on how much they spend. This goes for manners, time etc as well as B2M. MAC doesnt have rules there for people who spend X amount to bend/break - that would be a terrible, devious way of running a business ("You'll get treated like crap, and be a 2nd class citizen to us unless you SPEND SPEND SPEND!")

* Also if im not mistaken, the rules for what is accepted for B2M are there because certain items count as 1 purchase (e.g. holiday sets), and if pans can be given in without the plastic casing - and vice versa - then someone could have one eyeshadow pot count for 2 B2M items.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemarie
This is not a centralized problem with MAC as a company, just individual stores, but it seems like they always overbook appointments for events. I'm sure there are many valid explanations for long wait times. I would just assume someone in charge would see how long people have to wait and adjust as well as possible. The MAs look like they're going nuts!

for events, we book 1 appt every 30 min (eyes, cheeks, lips only). but then you have to factor in the people who booked 1 hr appts before the event was scheduled. then there are those that show up late for their appt. at my counter, if you are five minutes late for a 30 min appt (w/o a phone call letting us know you are running late), you loose your spot. same with being 15 min late for a 1 hr. if you are late, we put a walk-up in your spot. there are always walk-ups when we are in an event. it never fails. if we can't fit them into a cancelled/lost appt, we do a standing walk-up makeup application while stepping away each time to help other customers. so yes, at times not only do we look like we are going nuts, but we really are deep down inside.
th_crazy.gif
just kidding (not really!).

Beauty Mark

Besides the numerous LE items and color stories, I'm kind of frustrated that B2M isn't better advertised. I don't think I would've known about it had I not joined Specktra. I know it's going to involve a loss of profits from MAC (perhaps not, because I'd probably buy something as well get my B2M), but I think recycling is so important.

This isn't to insult anyone here, because I know that there are fabulous people and not so fabulous people, but I noticed that I get much better service at the freestanding stores than a counter in a department store. I thought MAC was supposed to control both the freestanding and counters very closely.

lah_knee

we are required to tell all customers about B2M at the close of every sale now
smiles.gif
we do at my counter... thats the best way to spread the word. a lot of customers come in totally confused about the program... ie "hey i heard if i turn in 3 empty compacts i get one free!" hahaha

and like wolfsong said, its terrible business to allow people who spend a lot to get away with certain things just because they are more "profitable" than the average customer. people go on and on here about how they hate how some artists treat certain customers better than others because of how they look or if they are spending a lot. it shouldnt be that way.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemarie

This is more to do with people who show up for appointments late, or who go over the 30 minute limit by talking on the phone, chatting to the person next to them, using the MA as a confessional, insisting the artist try four or five different lips, push for an eyes/lips/cheeks quick make-over to turn into an hour full-face appointment, etc etc etc.

Make-up appointments are organised and timely, it's the human element that makes these things drag out. Until the day comes where we can say, 'lady, will you just freakin' shut up for ten minutes so I can get you out of here on time!', appointments will always go over.
smiles.gif

MelodyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabi1129
i love just about everything, except 2 things. 1) that there isnt a Pro store here in Chicago! and 2) when i ask for a product by name and i get looked at funny. i mean if i came in the day the collection drop and u just got in u might not know. but if i come in 2-3 weeks later, hmmm. i work in retail and when we get new items itll take me like a day and ill know the product. thats why i always go to my MA Samantha!

Ok so here's the deal. Especially around this time. There are some people workin at counter who havent been there for at least a year. AND we got a lot of freelance help in the store. They are there to support with artistry so they might not know all the products. yea...i know kinda sucks but trust me we need the help. holidays are busy.

LOVE SAM! She is a sweetie.

And keep your eyes peeled for the store.