GENERAL FAQ: De-potting/De-panning

martygreene

What is de-potting/de-panning?
De-potting (also known as de-panning) is the removal of the small metal pan containing the color in a pressed powder product.

What can be de-potted?
Eye shadows, blushes, bronzers, and any other pressed powder product can be de-potted.

Why do people de-pot?
Many people de-pot their eye shadows, blushes, and other similarly sized products in order to contain all of their products in palettes. MAC makes three types of palettes at this time, 4 pan eye shadow, 15 pan eye shadow, and six pan blush. MAC in the past made an 8 pan large eye shadow, when the company still produced eye shadows in both a large and small size.

De-potting also allows people to have 'empties' which can be used in MACs recycling program, Back2MAC.

What brands of eye shadow fit into MAC palettes?
  • Urban Decay
  • Trucco
  • Prescriptives (not all)
  • Trade Secrets
  • I Nuovi
  • Paula's Choice
  • Lise Watier
  • Clinique Touch Base
  • Revlon Streetwear Creams
  • MMU
  • Origins
  • Jordana
  • Red Earth
  • Annabelle
  • Estee Lauder
  • Savvy
  • Marcelle (old style)
  • Wild and Crazy
  • Garden Botanika (old style)
  • Fetish
  • Jane
  • Milani
  • Wet and Wild
  • Ardell brow powders
  • Prestige (old style)
  • LORAC
  • Elizabeth Arden
  • The Body Shop
  • Bath and Body Works
  • Bonne Bell
  • Faces
Where can I learn how to de-pot, with images?
There are many tutorials to be found online. Some good ones are:

ahuerta

ok. i've been successful at depotting two eyeshadows, but my pots are now warped. will they still be ok for b2m?

suggrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene

I cannot find this tutorial. Has it been moved? I did find a text description on how to use a heat gun to melt lipstick.

These are the errors I am receiving when trying to access the above link: The requested URL /viewtopic.php was not found on this server.Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Mien

Thanks a lot for the links! The freezing method sounds great, I'm scared of melting the pots
smiles.gif
I was wondering if the freezing or heating doesn't damage the (texture) of the e/s?

DJDFK

i was wondering if you guys knew how to remove the eyeshadow from one container to another (which are two different sizes). if you don't understand me, i wanna use an eyeshadow as a blush.
any suggestions are appreciated!
smiles.gif

LuxeKitten

I want to depot my blushes, but I'm wondering, is it possible or is any method better to make it so that I can keep one of them empty pots to stick my depotted blush back into for when I travel?

I depot and keep my eyeshadows in a 15 pan palette, but when I go away I'll sometimes just take 4 eyeshadows in a quad (or 8 shadows in 2 quads), so I'm wondering is there any way I could do it so I have a transportable case for a depotted blush? I'm afraid to take the whole palette n case something happens - cracks etc.

sparklingmuse

i was looking for a method of depotting my blot powder and putting it into the fafi ipp container. does anyoneknow how to?

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien
Thanks a lot for the links! The freezing method sounds great, I'm scared of melting the pots
smiles.gif
I was wondering if the freezing or heating doesn't damage the (texture) of the e/s?

Mien - Did freezing the e/s change its texture at all? TIA

stingray

amber_j, if you use EnKore's method of depotting in my link above, you won't damage the texture of the shadow (unless you accidentally break it) as it doesn't use either heat or freezing to depot.

stingray

I've just tried the freezing method, having dented one of my pans using EnKore's method which, good as it is, does mean completely ruining the plastic pan container.

The freezing method is GREAT! No damage to any part at all and the shadow pan almost falls out by itself. I only needed to put the very tip of a knife inbetween the pan rim and the container, only at the top, wiggle it very very gently once or twice, then you hear a slight "crack" noise which is the hardened glue coming away, and out comes the shadow. The texture seems to be just the same as before, but give it an hour or two to return to room temperature.

stingray

Just thought I'd warn you -

The freezing method works a treat with those fakes shadows with pans with the ridged circle as the glue is only in the ridge. I just tried it with my genuine shadow to see if perhaps a brand new real MAC shadow had that ridge, and no way could I get the pan out, it seemed stuck solid to the base! I didn't want to dare force it either. I think I'll have to try EnKore's method again with the genuine one.

sofabean

I wanted to use Enkore's method, but I don't trust myself jabbing a sharp knife into a tiny crevice... I use the heating method and even though the smell of plastic is horrible and probably toxic, it does the job just fine.

Jello89

I use dustbunnies77(youtube) way of doing it. With the Hair Iron. Minimal Smell and so far I haven't warped or damaged any of my shadows. Fun and easy!

Jello89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0tdorque
Were you still able to use it for the B2M thing?

Yesterday I went to a MAC freestanding store and asked if the accepted the pots without the pans. This was her answer :
'' I can't really answer that. *Pause*. If we dont realize it then we accept it. If we realize it, we dont.''

macmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello89
Yesterday I went to a MAC freestanding store and asked if the accepted the pots without the pans. This was her answer :
'' I can't really answer that. *Pause*. If we dont realize it then we accept it. If we realize it, we dont.''

do mac accept empty containers? like without the little plastic pan in the middle?

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmistress
do mac accept empty containers? like without the little plastic pan in the middle?

It really depends. I've seen a few MAC employees who post here saying that their counter/location will not. However, I returned some to a freestanding store over the weekend with no problem. I'd call around to be sure, if I were you. The reality is that many places barely even check the B2M empties.

Latest posts