Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

janette9687

Does anyone have either version of the 212 or J212, i ordered the 214 and its tiny! im looking to replace the 214 with the 212 i want it for precise highlight or coutouring... so any pics or info would help! thanks!

janette9687

MissTT

pompom.gif
I think the folks in the NARS thread thought I was off my rocker for saying it was scratchy. Thanks ladies. And of course the larger Haku is cheaper than the NARS. What a rip. LOL
2nd. I have both and the Hakujodo wins hands down. The Nars is scratchy.

cindypltnm81

You guys are pushing me to order more hakuhodo! Right now I use the mac 131 for highlighting and sometime my Nars Yach (mine doesn't feel scratchy) when my 131 is dirty. So that might be my next purchase from them...highlighting brush!

janette9687

You guys are pushing me to order more hakuhodo! Right now I use the mac 131 for highlighting and sometime my Nars Yach (mine doesn't feel scratchy) when my 131 is dirty. So that might be my next purchase from them...highlighting brush!
i want to make anothr order for highlighting brushes too! Which ones are you gonna get? i have several in mind that ima order but im not sure when.. in need to take a break and play with mine more im not giving them nearly enough love

janette9687

I love the J5521 for highlight. It's supposed to be like the Mac165
i have the g series version and i love it... thats what started it all actually i was looking to dupe the 165 and i kept researching trying to find a dupe and saw that it actaully wasnt that expensive or far off what the 165 was... and a year and 7 orders later i become obsessed with hakuhodos! they pply my makeup so beautifully! haha im debating if i need to add the J series version of the 5521 i think it be great for cream bronzer.. im looking at the 116s and the 212s right now for highlight. i have the k001 and its so cute!

cindypltnm81

i want to make anothr order for highlighting brushes too! Which ones are you gonna get? i have several in mind that ima order but im not sure when.. in need to take a break and play with mine more im not giving them nearly enough love
I thought you would give me some insight. I'm a novice in the hakuhodo brand compared to you:) I just know I want at least 2 brushes in variation tha are ideal for highlighting...

Pinkdollface

Do you have a pic of it?
smiles.gif
I'm not the one you asked but here is a comparison between the J5521 and Mac 165. The J5521 is ever so slightly larger and has a shorter handle.

Also here is a comparison between the J544 and Mac 131. The second pic, that's a sideview, shows how the J544 has a more rounded tip which I prefer.

Pinkdollface

Josephine90 asked in the Tropical Taboo thread which Hakuhodo brushes I would recommend so I figured I could do a summary post of my brushes and their uses. In total I have 10 Hakuhodo brushes right now (5 face and 5 eye brushes). I really like all.
For blush the J110 is amazing, very soft, but dense and stiff enough to pick up a good amount. The J544 (Mac 131 dupe) is great for more pigmented blushes, bronzer, cream blushes/bronzer, MSFs. The J5521 (Mac 165 dupe) is a good if you need something to highlight and contour. If you are willing to spend money and want a great big, dense and soft powder brush than I highly recommend the J501. It's great for all over powder and I think bronzer too if you don't need a very light application. The last face brush I have is the G5537 that functions like a fan brush. It's nice for a light application of blush, bronzer, highlight. I prefer the shape of the G5537 to a normal fan brush.
Now on to the eyebrushes. I have the G5515 pencil brush. It's much smaller than the Mac 219 and great if you need to work very precise. I don't always like to put a lot of eyeshadow on the lower lashline and that's why I chose a small brush like this. I haven't tried it yet, but I can tell it's going to work for what I intented to use it for. The J242G is similar to the Mac 239, but it's a bit smaller and taller and less thick. It has a more rounded tip which will probably be easier to reach the inner corners. I haven't tried this one out yet, so I'm not sure if it will pic up as much product as the Mac 239. For crease and blending brushes I have 3. The J5523 which is in my opinion a better version of the Mac 217. The Mac 217 has a slight angle and the J5523 is completely symmetric. The J5529 is a very small crease brush. I like this a lot to use with dark colours that deepen the crease. It has a similar function to the Mac 226, but is more precise. The last one I have is the J142. It's similar to the Mac 224, but more tapered. I haven't tried this one yet either. All crease brushes feel softer than the Mac brushes. I think the must haves depend on what type of brush you need. I could for example say the J110 is a must have, but if you don't need a new blush brush than it might not be a must have for you.

janette9687

I thought you would give me some insight. I'm a novice in the hakuhodo brand compared to you:) I just know I want at least 2 brushes in variation tha are ideal for highlighting...
for highlight brushes right now i have 4 i consider to highlight.

J4002 (mac 188 dupe) this one is duo fibre for when i want to go softer on the look as you know duo fibres wont pick up as much pigment so i like to use this with my NARs albatross or whisper of guilt. I also use it more for my lustre drops actually.

G5521 this is like a softer mac 165 i have a comparison post from my IG on this earlier in this thread. This is the brush that started it all I was looking to dupe the 165 since its LE. I love this one more and tend to reach this for my highlights. IT has a nice tapered point and still dense enough to pick up products. From Pinkdollfaces pics it appears that the J series version may be a lil fluffier than the g version but im sure they both work the same just that the g series is dyed. it is very comparable to the MAC 165.

K001- this one is like a smaller mac 116 its slender paddle shape highlight brush. Some people could even use if for blush if they want precise application. This one is for precise highlighting its very very soft but depost its good amount of color. you can yous it on its flat side t cover more area or on its side for just barely touching it. This one is made of blue squirrel tho so maybe you may want to take note of that. I think for similar size try out the 116 versions in g or j series those are made of goat hair.

G5538- this one is my absolute favorite to highlight becasue its like a feather to highlight. It goes on very soft and very light. This one is like a fan brush but a better application sometimes i dont even need to blend. I love this one for highlights. But id doesnt pick up color much unless i swirl it really good. It applies with a light hand.

Im looking into adding to my collection for highlighting the J5521, both J116 and B116 and both 212 and J212 more for buffing a precise highlight or and maybe for precise contouring

Sylvia60

Josephine90 asked in the Tropical Taboo thread which Hakuhodo brushes I would recommend so I figured I could do a summary post of my brushes and their uses. In total I have 10 Hakuhodo brushes right now (5 face and 5 eye brushes). I really like all.
For blush the J110 is amazing, very soft, but dense and stiff enough to pick up a good amount. The J544 (Mac 131 dupe) is great for more pigmented blushes, bronzer, cream blushes/bronzer, MSFs. The J5521 (Mac 165 dupe) is a good if you need something to highlight and contour. If you are willing to spend money and want a great big, dense and soft powder brush than I highly recommend the J501. It's great for all over powder and I think bronzer too if you don't need a very light application. The last face brush I have is the G5537 that functions like a fan brush. It's nice for a light application of blush, bronzer, highlight. I prefer the shape of the G5537 to a normal fan brush.
Now on to the eyebrushes. I have the G5515 pencil brush. It's much smaller than the Mac 219 and great if you need to work very precise. I don't always like to put a lot of eyeshadow on the lower lashline and that's why I chose a small brush like this. I haven't tried it yet, but I can tell it's going to work for what I intented to use it for. The J242G is similar to the Mac 239, but it's a bit smaller and taller and less thick. It has a more rounded tip which will probably be easier to reach the inner corners. I haven't tried this one out yet, so I'm not sure if it will pic up as much product as the Mac 239. For crease and blending brushes I have 3. The J5523 which is in my opinion a better version of the Mac 217. The Mac 217 has a slight angle and the J5523 is completely symmetric. The J5529 is a very small crease brush. I like this a lot to use with dark colours that deepen the crease. It has a similar function to the Mac 226, but is more precise. The last one I have is the J142. It's similar to the Mac 224, but more tapered. I haven't tried this one yet either. All crease brushes feel softer than the Mac brushes. I think the must haves depend on what type of brush you need. I could for example say the J110 is a must have, but if you don't need a new blush brush than it might not be a must have for you.
Which brush would you use with the Dior Rosy Glow blush?

allthingsglam

Whats a great blending eyeshadow brush I am planning on ordering some More brushes sometime in the future if I can wait lol I'm planning on ordering them all together to save on that $10 shipping and handling

Pinkdollface

Whats a great blending eyeshadow brush I am planning on ordering some More brushes sometime in the future if I can wait lol I'm planning on ordering them all together to save on that $10 shipping and handling
There are a couple. I have the J5523 and J142 that I like. The J142 is rounded and the J5523 is pinched, so depending on your preferences you can choose one. If you would like something rounded, but with less of a point I'd say go with the J5533.

allthingsglam

There are a couple. I have the J5523 and J142 that I like. The J142 is rounded and the J5523 is pinched, so depending on your preferences you can choose one. If you would like something rounded, but with less of a point I'd say go with the J5533.
Okay thanks pinkdollface which is your favorite?

josephine90

Thanks! Its really helpful! As you know I have monolids and little lid area, which blending brush do u recommend? I find that I always mess up my eye shadows LOL