Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

Sylvia60

Welcome to the forum!
My own Haku brushes are entirely for eye painting- except for a Haku Yachiyo for blush work.

karlaedith

thankyou! Btw the hakuhodo site accepts visa, american express, master card and paypal but i dont have a bank account, i was thinking on getting a visa gift card and using it as payment, i even email them asking if i could use this and they say yes ,.. So have any of you use this as a for of payment?? I wanted to buy the J501 powder brush but is $96 dls plus shipping 9 dls its over 100 and i cant find any gift cards of $125, only 25,50,100 and 200 and im somewhat worried i buy a 200 gift card and then gets declined please help :/

Kristin Bacon

thankyou! Btw the hakuhodo site accepts visa, american express, master card and paypal but i dont have a bank account, i was thinking on getting a visa gift card and using it as payment, i even email them asking if i could use this and they say yes ,.. So have any of you use this as a for of payment?? I wanted to buy the J501 powder brush but is $96 dls plus shipping 9 dls its over 100 and i cant find any gift cards of $125, only 25,50,100 and 200 and im somewhat worried i buy a 200 gift card and then gets declined please help :/
why dont u get a rushcard or netspend card. they are free to order and they are cheap to keep. look them up. im sure they would take one of those it will have your name on it and u can put however much u want on it and save money on it to like a bank

brunettespylove

I just started buying Haku brushes a few weeks ago. Trying to keep each order in the $100 range, i know once i start buying face brushes it will be like 1 or 2 brushes ea order lol. Does anyone have a powder brush rec for setting and all over ... i currently use the sigma f30? the short handled one. Right now im thinking TF bronzer brush because i haven't seen any other brushes fitting the size i like. Someone rec the J110 but i think that is too small as well

karlaedith

Oh the tom ford brush is beautiful!! From pics i ve seen the J110 looks a bit to small to use as all over face powder, the one that are comparables in size are the J5541($111) and J501($96) which is the one i want, there is also the J104 ($80) but the shape looks more round and fluffy, i much prefer the shape of the tom ford or the J501, and like you if i start buying this i wont be spending over 100 dls per order

brunettespylove

Oh the tom ford brush is beautiful!! From pics i ve seen the J110 looks a bit to small to use as all over face powder, the one that are comparables in size are the J5541($111) and J501($96) which is the one i want, there is also the J104 ($80) but the shape looks more round and fluffy, i much prefer the shape of the tom ford or the J501, and like you if i start buying this i wont be spending over 100 dls per order
Yup, i think those were ones i looked up as well. I think the Haku ones in general are smaller all around. So i might stick to the TF once i bring myself to spend that. But making my orders around $100 help me not go overboard. i think i had a little bit of PP money leftover so my last order was $148 and the one before was $120. But i came out with a lot of eye brushes. i can't wait for my 2nd order to come today

karlaedith

I have 2 questions. I love MAC 129 brush for applying blush. I mean the size and the shape. But I find it slightly scratchy. I  want to upgrade. Can anyone suggest a decent blush brush. I find MAC 116 too small and I DO NOT enjoy the shape of Real Techniques Blush Brush Currently, I am thinking about Hakuhodo brushes... But it is probably the most confusing brand. Also, any comment on Chanel #4 and Bobbi Brown blush brush is welcome. These are on my radar too. My second question: I really need brush suggestion for applying cream blush. I like MAC 130, but I am not a fan of MAC 188 or MAC 187. Recently picked MUFE and Chanel cream to powder formula blush. I am looking for something in paddle shape. If these questions are posted under wrong topic, please let me know where to post this. Thank you ladies. I will wait for the replies.
From pics i have seen, the j505 is big blush brush, its $69 but i think the shape and size is comparable to the 129, lots of people like the J110 but i saw a video on Youtube someone was comparing it to the mac 129 and it looked small

Audrey C

Since I was going to be working from my US office for a few days earlier this month, I decided to get a couple more Hakuhodo brushes. I got the J110, the J5521 (pointed highlighter brush) and the B5507 (dark bristled e/s brush kinda similar to MAC 239).

I like the J110, but I"m really not blown away by it. It's good, but so are my MAC 116 and 129. Not sorry I have it, but it's not making me want to replace all my MAC face brushes with Hakuhodo. I like the highlighter brush; it's a very different shape from anything I have. I got the B5507 to use with dark shades like Bottle Green and Green Room; it's ok but I like the 239 better.

I now own five Hakuhodo; I like them all but I'm not blown away.

karlaedith

Since I was going to be working from my US office for a few days earlier this month, I decided to get a couple more Hakuhodo brushes. I got the J110, the J5521 (pointed highlighter brush) and the B5507 (dark bristled e/s brush kinda similar to MAC 239). I like the J110, but I"m really not blown away by it. It's good, but so are my MAC 116 and 129. Not sorry I have it, but it's not making me want to replace all my MAC face brushes with Hakuhodo. I like the highlighter brush; it's a very different shape from anything I have. I got the B5507 to use with dark shades like Bottle Green and Green Room; it's ok but I like the 239 better. I now own five Hakuhodo; I like them all but I'm not blown away.
I dont have the J110 but from pics i have seen it looks like an avarage size brush, maybe similar to mac 116 which i already have and im pretty happy with it but its the only blush brush i have so maybe i'll get the j5543 and also want the J5521 for setting powder under my eyes , do you think its a good size for that or is it too big??

Audrey C

I dont have the J110 but from pics i have seen it looks like an avarage size brush, maybe similar to mac 116 which i already have and im pretty happy with it but its the only blush brush i have so maybe i'll get the j5543 and also want the J5521 for setting powder under my eyes , do you think its a good size for that or is it too big??
It's a good sized brush, but I think you could make it work for that. I like that it's pointy enough to allow for precise highlighter placement.

Ajigglin

Since I was going to be working from my US office for a few days earlier this month, I decided to get a couple more Hakuhodo brushes. I got the J110, the J5521 (pointed highlighter brush) and the B5507 (dark bristled e/s brush kinda similar to MAC 239). I like the J110, but I"m really not blown away by it. It's good, but so are my MAC 116 and 129. Not sorry I have it, but it's not making me want to replace all my MAC face brushes with Hakuhodo. I like the highlighter brush; it's a very different shape from anything I have. I got the B5507 to use with dark shades like Bottle Green and Green Room; it's ok but I like the 239 better. I now own five Hakuhodo; I like them all but I'm not blown away.
That's how I feel, too! I felt a bit disappointed.

karlaedith

That's how I feel, too! I felt a bit disappointed.
This is the only thing that keeps me from start buying the brushes i want that i wont like any of the brushes enough and when you buy from hakuhodo most of the time you cannot return or exchange anything you just get stuck with it what if one of the brushes is not the shape i wanted? Or is not dense enough? Or it starts to shed??

allthingsglam

I love love all my brushes I got from hakuhodo some I love more then others some I sold not because I didn't love them but because I felted I had another brush that perform just as good its a must that u resreach before u buy u can return but the brush must be unused and its a 20 percent restocking fee I believe

karlaedith

I really needed a good face powder brush so this past weekend i bought the mac 150 brush, but it already has shed like 4 hairs and its not like super soft either... But the good thing is that i can return it and then maybe just go with the tom ford bronzer brush.. I just want a really good quality, soft brush that will last me many years

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Since I was going to be working from my US office for a few days earlier this month, I decided to get a couple more Hakuhodo brushes. I got the J110, the J5521 (pointed highlighter brush) and the B5507 (dark bristled e/s brush kinda similar to MAC 239).

I like the J110, but I"m really not blown away by it. It's good, but so are my MAC 116 and 129. Not sorry I have it, but it's not making me want to replace all my MAC face brushes with Hakuhodo. I like the highlighter brush; it's a very different shape from anything I have. I got the B5507 to use with dark shades like Bottle Green and Green Room; it's ok but I like the 239 better.

I now own five Hakuhodo; I like them all but I'm not blown away.
I was just planning to order the J110 soon. I do have MAC's 116 and 129, but I was hoping the Haku would be much softer. I already have the J5521 and I think it's a LOT softer and nicer than the MAC brushes. Would you say the J110 is just as soft as the J5521?

Audrey C

I was just planning to order the J110 soon. I do have MAC's 116 and 129, but I was hoping the Haku would be much softer. I already have the J5521 and I think it's a LOT softer and nicer than the MAC brushes. Would you say the J110 is just as soft as the J5521?
Pretty close, yes. My J110 isn't quite as soft but it's dirty at the mo so I'm not sure if it's traces of blush making the tips feel slightly less soft.

Don't get me wrong; I like the five brushes I bought and don't regret buying them; I particularly like the J5521 and the J5523. The main reason I like those two is because they're different from the MAC brushes I own. I like the J142 as well but it's really just a less expensive dupe for my MAC 217. I like them enough that I bought each of my daughters a J142 and J5523 (good 'nice' stocking stuffers) because they're really nice and cheaper than MAC.

I just don't think, based on my admittedly limited purchases, that Hakuhodo blows MAC out of the water. I felt that way when I bought the e/s brushes but many thought I'd feel differently if I tried face brushes. I don't; they're good, but I don't find them better. I would buy from Hukuhodo again, but only to buy something different from what I already have. Maybe those with very sensitive skin will find the softer texture to be a big benefit. I honestly don't feel that the MAC brushes I have are scratchy (I wouldn't buy them if I did) and I don't think these apply product any better.

I'm glad others love these and I like them too, I just don't think they're all that and a bag of chips.

Audrey C

For reference, I've attached my current brush inventory below:

BRUSHES
116 - Blush Brush
129 - Powder/Blush Brush
129SH - Powder/Blush Brush Short-Handled
130 - Short Duo Fibre Brush
136 - Large Powder/Blush Brush
159 - Duo Fibre Face Brush (LE)
167SH - Face Blender Brush (LE)
168 - Large Angled Contour Brush
179 - Angled Split Fibre Buffer Brush (LE)
184 - Duo Fibre Fan Brush
187 - Duo Fibre Brush
188 - Small Duo Fibre Brush
189 - Face Brush
205 - Mascara Fan Brush
208 - Angled Brow
211 - Pointed Liner Brush
217 - Blending Brush
219 - Pencil Brush
224 - Tapered Blending Brush
234 - Split Fibre Eye Blending Brush (LE)
235 - Split Fibre All Over Eye Brush (LE)
239 - Eye Shading Brush
249 - Large Shader Brush
266 - Small Angle Brush
287 - Duo Fibre Eye Shadow Brush (LE)
311 - Lip Liner Brush
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Brush
Hakuhodo B5507: Eye Shadow Brush Round Flat
Hakuhodo J110 - Blush Brush Round & Flat
Hakuhodo J142 - Eye Shadow Brush Round
Hakuhodo J5521 - Highlighter Brush Tapered
Hakuhodo J5523 - Eye Shadow Brush Round & Flat

I have doubles of the MAC 159 and 239 because I use them so much. I first bought the J142 and J5523 because I was tired of making do with a single MAC 217 and a 224.

The only brushes I'm interested in adding at the moment are a retractable blush brush (because the 129SH I bought for my purse gets flattened) and a couple of retractable lip brushes.

EDIT: Ok, I could also use a couple of concealer brushes. Now I'm on the d**m site again. Who can I blame for this?!

Ajigglin

This is the only thing that keeps me from start buying the brushes i want that i wont like any of the brushes enough and when you buy from hakuhodo most of the time you cannot return or exchange anything you just get stuck with it what if one of the brushes is not the shape i wanted? Or is not dense enough? Or it starts to shed??
My j110 sheds. I was not pleased.