Has anyone tried or currently used the oil cleansing method?

Carlyx

Im gonna drag this up..

I've been using Extra Virgin Olive Oil as I couldn't find Castor Oil ANYWHERE in the uk
ssad.gif

I've been doing this every night for about 3weeks, at first my skin was glowy and now I've got loads of spots
ssad.gif
I only use to have a few but now theres a spot everywhere. Is it normal to break out like this or should I just stop using it as I wanna clear my face up ASAP!

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyx
Im gonna drag this up..

I've been using Extra Virgin Olive Oil as I couldn't find Castor Oil ANYWHERE in the uk
ssad.gif

I've been doing this every night for about 3weeks, at first my skin was glowy and now I've got loads of spots
ssad.gif
I only use to have a few but now theres a spot everywhere. Is it normal to break out like this or should I just stop using it as I wanna clear my face up ASAP!

I have some castor oil that it will take me quite a while to use up, or I can get a brand new bottle for you and ship it to you at cost, if you like. It;s pretty cheap, less than 5 USD a bottle. Just PM me, if you'd like. As for the spots, I started getting them ( dry patches, rather) after I STOPPED the oil cleansing. since I've started back up, I'm good as new. I use a mixture of 80% extra virgin olive, and 20% castor for my dry skin.

Myosotis

Quote:
ssad.gif

I got breakouts from using olive oil, too. I think the oil was too heavy for my skin type (combination skin). It cleared up when I switched to coconut oil. I want to try jojoba oil but I couldn't find it anywhere here in DK.

Carlyx

Yeah I think I best switch to something abit lighter, maybe grapeseed oil?

I've never saw jojoba neither, maybe you could get it online or something?

athena123

Quote:

A few good places to get jojoba oil. Trader Joe's is fairly inexpensive, $7.99 for 4 ounces. The brand is Desert Essence. (they make tea tree oil too!) If you find this same brand at The Vitamin Shoppe, you'll pay much more.

The best price is found online. This is one of my favorite all time shopping sites. Oil, tea, essential oil and clay for making up masks. Jojoba oil too! Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices, teas & essential oils

Myosotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
A few good places to get jojoba oil. Trader Joe's is fairly inexpensive, $7.99 for 4 ounces. The brand is Desert Essence. (they make tea tree oil too!) If you find this same brand at The Vitamin Shoppe, you'll pay much more.

Thanks for the info! I am going to the US for the summer and will check out Trader Joe's.

athena123

Hi Mysotis, I hope you enjoy your stay in the US! Here's a link to Trader Joe's so you can find out whether a store is near or within the city you'll be visiting. Here in Southern California, we have plenty of Trader Joe's but they're not located in all 50 states. Yet...

Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store

Good luck! BTW, jojoba oil is also really nice in your hair. Just a little bit after bathing keeps it shiny and won't weigh it down. If I were on a desert island and could choose only one oil, it would be jojoba.
th_DANCE.gif

V15U4L_3RR0R

Quote:

I've only ever seen Jojoba oil in Holland & Barretts before and I can't find Castor oil either but it seems to be fairly cheap to buy online. Search google.

imatocophobic

i use DHC cleansing oil which is great! i love how it removes eyeshadow traces and waterproof mascara.it works wonders for me
smiles.gif
i just purchased DHC's virgin olive oil, so far i love it!

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by V15U4L_3RR0R
Just to say that after a few weeks, my skin has improved massively since using this method. I love it and I don't think I'll be using anything else from now on.

Just thought I'd come in to a mostly-concluded thread, lol....

I've totally fallen in love with Shu Uemura's cleansing oils. I'm pregnant right now and my skin has gone nutty with spots and blackheads. I received some samples of Shu's oils and good lord... they are *so* exactly what I needed. They are a three-in-one job - they remove makeup completely (even my waterproof mascara), cleanse my skin, and since they don't strip the moisture from my skin in the process, they actually reinforce my natural moisture. Most of the time I don't need another moisturiser after I cleanse, and I don't need to follow with a toner to ensure all the makeup is off.

If you want to treat yourself, try one of Shu's cleansers. There's four or five in the range - the one of which I'm going to buy a full sized bottle is the High Balancing formula (light yellow), which works for my combination skin.

I've tried the green tea A/O and it's a little too drying by comparison. It works, but it's not as good as the light yellow for my skin.

No idea about the pink one - it's supposed to be really good for acne prone skin.

The enriched one (dark orange) is supposed to be good for people in hot/dry climates. Haven't tried it either.

kimmae17

I also have the light yellow shu uemura oil I LOOOOVE it. I am going to go pick up some of the otherones to try them out!

MeliBoss

Just wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! For posting this information. Although I do not have acne per say I do get occasional break outs that are a pain in the butt especially while PMS'ing. Anyway I read this thread earlier this week and thought I would give this a try. 3 days ago I went to whole foods and purchased a container of Coconut oil. In three days I've notice such an improvement in my skin! I love this and it's so easy to do and fairly inexpensive. The Coconut oil cost me less than 8 bucks!!!! After trying just about everything under the sun I think I've found just what I was looking for.

I've been doing OCM fairly consistently for about 2 months now, water only in the mornings. I love it because it reduces my pores and I am blackhead free, and it used to be an issue for me on my nose/T-zone.

However, the oddest thing has happened.
I'm breaking out on the sort of lower cheek/jawline just outside the edges of your mouth area, where I never, ever used to break out before. It's not full on pimples, just bumps and sometimes a little whitehead. Not a huge deal I guess, I try to exfoliate it away but it still remains. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? What could be causing it? It's very frustrating, because my skin would be close to flawless if this wasn't happening. Argh!!

Exotic Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatocophobic
i use DHC cleansing oil which is great! i love how it removes eyeshadow traces and waterproof mascara.it works wonders for me
smiles.gif
i just purchased DHC's virgin olive oil, so far i love it!

Yes! DHC cleansing oil is great! It gets off the toughest, thickest makeup (even Halloween makeup!) and still makes skin feel soft and clean. Great stuff.

saba

i have normal skin and i use aloevera gel a drop or so mixed with vitamin e oil , it makes an excellent night creme .hth

Dreamergirl3

I've had a lot of stubborn blackheads recently and didn't know what to do about them. My usual treatment of BHA wasn't working as well as it used too, and they were really hard to extract without breaking my skin. I remembered this thread and used Athena123's method. Jojoba oil massage, warm damp washcloth for toweling it off, then applying a BHA solution. She used 5% but all I had was 2% Neutrogena stuff so I used that instead.

I must say I'm loving the results so far! My skin is not dried out at all, which was sometimes a side effect of using BHA daily like I do. In fact I'd say it's damn near glowing. I don't usually feel many of them coming out of my pores during the massage part, but they are definitely going away! It seems as though the jojoba oil really does an excellent job of loosening up the clogged pores, allowing the BHA do work a hell of a lot better.

Now I just need to save so I can get some 3 or 5% BHA!

X4biddenxLustX

I swear by the oil based cleansers that are out on the market. NOTHING else will remove your makeup (foundation, concealer, primer, etc) but this stuff in my opinion and experience. I was constantly breaking out and getting clogged pores with every foundation I was trying before I used an oil based cleanser. I think the best ones out there are dhc, Mac's Cleanse Off Oil, and Cliniques Take off the day (I think thats what its called, this is the one I use now and its in a balm form but works just the same).

Now the "homemade" oil cleansers I have tried many times and it just doesn't do anything in my opinion really to take off face makeup. It'll still leave a layer of oil on my face no matter what that's been mixed with the makeup so my face truly isn't clean. But I do find that on a clean face it can help clear out some clogged pores on your face after steaming though.

celestia

I had been contemplating the purchase of the DHC deep cleansing oil and kind of wish I knew a place in Melbourne to get a hold of it. I used to think there was an online store but I must be going crazy!

Is there anything you guys use after rinsing off the oil to get the yucky residue-texture off or does it go away by itself?

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestia
I had been contemplating the purchase of the DHC deep cleansing oil and kind of wish I knew a place in Melbourne to get a hold of it. I used to think there was an online store but I must be going crazy!

Is there anything you guys use after rinsing off the oil to get the yucky residue-texture off or does it go away by itself?

Have you tried anywhere online for the dhc cleansing oil? I'm pretty sure they'll be able to ship worldwide. Plus there are probably other places online you could purchase from.

Some oil based cleansers will leave an icky residue while others won't. It just depends on I guess on the ratio of oils and emulsifiers in the product. The ones that I had suggested I'm going to assume have a higher amount of emulsifiers than oils since they rinse off cleanly. But you can do what is called dual cleansing if it bothers you. You can use the cleansing oil first and rinse it off and then use your regular facial cleanser afterward. That's what I do =]