Has anyone tried or currently used the oil cleansing method?

Cinammonkisses

I've been doing OCM (oil cleansing method) for almost a year now. I originally started with EVOO and Castor oil, but I think the EVOO was to rich for my skin. I have oily/combo skin eta. Don't really see the point in buying expensive 'oil cleansing' products when you can get the same results for half or like 80% the product costs.

Anyway, I went out and bought EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil) and use the Castor oil. Castor oil is a very thick, but highly effective deep skin cleanser. The coconut is what moisturizes and nurioushes my skin.

How I do it:

Pour about a quarter sized amount of castor into my palm. Pour about a nickel size (EVOO is solid since it's unrefined) and rub my hands together.

I smooth it on in upward circles and strokes (so as to not tug at my skin) and I massage it in for at least 1 minute on up to 20min.

I apply a hot washcloth as hot as I can stand it, and place it over my face. I let it sit there for 20 sec-45 seconds, then I rinse out the cloth and do it again. I usually do this 2-3x and then finally remove the oils.
(I use only white washclothes since colored cloths have all those dyes in them, and can be bad for the skin)

After removing the oils, I rinse out the washcloth yet again, and place hot cloth on my face again, making sure I get all the dirt and grime from out of my pores.

Just take a look at how dirty your white washcloth is once you're finished! You'll be surprised what came out of your face!!!

Then, I apply a dab of Castor/EVCO to my hands and smooth it back into my skin.

Trust me, it's a good moisterizer and it WILL NOT clog your pores.

p.s. This works whether I have a full face of makeup on or not. It removes it ALL!

Skura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
I've totally fallen in love with Shu Uemura's cleansing oils. I'm pregnant right now and my skin has gone nutty with spots and blackheads. I received some samples of Shu's oils and good lord... they are *so* exactly what I needed. They are a three-in-one job - they remove makeup completely (even my waterproof mascara), cleanse my skin, and since they don't strip the moisture from my skin in the process, they actually reinforce my natural moisture. Most of the time I don't need another moisturiser after I cleanse, and I don't need to follow with a toner to ensure all the makeup is off.

If you want to treat yourself, try one of Shu's cleansers. There's four or five in the range - the one of which I'm going to buy a full sized bottle is the High Balancing formula (light yellow), which works for my combination skin.

I also use Shu Uemura oil.
I think it is my HG. I think because I haven't try Kanebo and Shiseido CO (I have to try them first so I can say that Shu oil is my HG
smiles.gif
)

Anyway, DHC wasn't good enough for me after I used Shu oil.

I try also L'Occitane Almond Apple but, like DHC, doesn't remove make-up very well. I like this one over DHC because it is excellent cleanser (big minus is not removing all traces of make-up)

So, very soon I'll purchase Kanebo CO or Shiseido OC and let you know
smiles.gif

ashk36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinammonkisses
I've been doing OCM (oil cleansing method) for almost a year now. I originally started with EVOO and Castor oil, but I think the EVOO was to rich for my skin. I have oily/combo skin eta. Don't really see the point in buying expensive 'oil cleansing' products when you can get the same results for half or like 80% the product costs.

Anyway, I went out and bought EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil) and use the Castor oil. Castor oil is a very thick, but highly effective deep skin cleanser. The coconut is what moisturizes and nurioushes my skin.

How I do it:

Pour about a quarter sized amount of castor into my palm. Pour about a nickel size (EVOO is solid since it's unrefined) and rub my hands together.

I smooth it on in upward circles and strokes (so as to not tug at my skin) and I massage it in for at least 1 minute on up to 20min.

I apply a hot washcloth as hot as I can stand it, and place it over my face. I let it sit there for 20 sec-45 seconds, then I rinse out the cloth and do it again. I usually do this 2-3x and then finally remove the oils.
(I use only white washclothes since colored cloths have all those dyes in them, and can be bad for the skin)

After removing the oils, I rinse out the washcloth yet again, and place hot cloth on my face again, making sure I get all the dirt and grime from out of my pores.

Just take a look at how dirty your white washcloth is once you're finished! You'll be surprised what came out of your face!!!

Then, I apply a dab of Castor/EVCO to my hands and smooth it back into my skin.

Trust me, it's a good moisterizer and it WILL NOT clog your pores.

p.s. This works whether I have a full face of makeup on or not. It removes it ALL!

I tried the OCM with Olive Oil + Castor oil a while back, and at first it worked like magic. Then it started getting warmer and more humid outside and I started breaking out again, really bad. I've been using African Black Soap and Unrefined Shea Butter, so I'm trying to keep my skincare routine pretty natural. For removing makeup, I've been using makeup wipes but I'm afraid they're not getting my makeup off as well as I'd like. Where can you find extra virgin coconut oil?

Tinkerbell4726

I'm so excited to try this. I just picked up some organic tea tree oil and jojoba oil that was buy one get one. It's organic and I ended up saving about 20 bucks. I will post results once I start using

User38

good luck! I have done the master cleanse.. and that works well.. keep us posted on the oils!

User38

lolol @ me.. you mean to cleanse your skin!!! .. duh ... but hey I have used Shu uemura's oils and they are great.. so if these work, it would save lots of $$$.

dumb dumb dumb me
greengrin.gif

Bahatiseey2

I used DHC several years ago and I agree it is great for makeup removal/ deep cleansing. Bath and body works has a similar line SEKKISEI which was 50% off the last time I went in. So, if you have a flagship store in your neighborhood you can get a sample or pick it up (regularly $28) for pretty cheap if you bring a $10 off a $30 purchase coupon. Some folks say plain ole EVOO works similarly but I have found that that method leaves a film/residue on my skin that I don't get with these products.

Cinammonkisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashk36
I tried the OCM with Olive Oil + Castor oil a while back, and at first it worked like magic. Then it started getting warmer and more humid outside and I started breaking out again, really bad. I've been using African Black Soap and Unrefined Shea Butter, so I'm trying to keep my skincare routine pretty natural. For removing makeup, I've been using makeup wipes but I'm afraid they're not getting my makeup off as well as I'd like. Where can you find extra virgin coconut oil?

I used to use African black soap as well, before I learned of OCM. I love that stuff. You know you can shampoo your hair with it as well. I also, have a huge 3lb tub of unrefined shea butter. I use it for all kinds of stuff!
th_DANCE.gif

When I first started OCM I used the EV olive oil + castor oil too, and after maybe 2 weeks it broke me out horribly. I was convinced that I was doing something wrong. I didn't want to give up on something so 'natural' so I decide to stop using the EVOO. I started using the EVCO (extra virgin coconut oil) instead and have been for the past year. My skin thanks me daily for it.

I buy the EVCO from the health food store.

Skura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
If you want to treat yourself, try one of Shu's cleansers. There's four or five in the range - the one of which I'm going to buy a full sized bottle is the High Balancing formula (light yellow), which works for my combination skin.

I've tried the green tea A/O and it's a little too drying by comparison. It works, but it's not as good as the light yellow for my skin.

No idea about the pink one - it's supposed to be really good for acne prone skin.

The enriched one (dark orange) is supposed to be good for people in hot/dry climates. Haven't tried it either.

I really like a light yellow and green Shu oil - those are my favorites.

Dark Orange didn't suit me - it was some kind heavy on my face - too enriched for my taste
smiles.gif

Those for acne-pro skin didn't try as I'm normal to dry skin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skura
So, very soon I'll purchase Kanebo CO or Shiseido OC and let you know
smiles.gif

I mean time I tried Kanebo oil - and I didn't like it too much - not after Shu oil... Looks like it didn't remove all my make-up... And I didn't like smell
smiles.gif

So, it is definitely - Shu Uemura CO is my HG
heart.gif

milamonster

is it ok if i bump this? I used to do this and it did work good but i got lazy and too busy to do it at night. now im seriosuly just fed up with my oily skin and it seems that noow when i do the same thing which is mostly olive and jojoba oil then i mix in a bit of castor oil that it feels great but after i wipe it off it starts feeling dry. why is there a difference? my skin is oily and always has been and it isn't seemeing to reduce the oil in my skin at all! im not sure what im doing wrong as im doing the same thing as before...is it the water is too hot? or maybe i should do something diff?

meggietye

I am thrilled with the rich information here, thank you so much! I have Castor oil in the house..I will try that as I am deathly allergic to Cocoanut oil and don't have much else on hand. This thread is terrific..such lovely people!!

meggietye

This is for ASHKA who was asking where I buy my EVCO..extra virgin cocoanut oil...I bought mine at the health food store. Hope that helps.