has my anti-depressant stopped working??

tricky

Last May I started taking Wellbutrin (actually Bupropion SR, the generic Wellbutrin). It helped me a lot, I was still depressed though because I was going through some pretty significant life changes (ending a 7 yr relationship, moving across the country). After a while I did feel pretty good, no random crying and feeling sorry for myself. But last weekend, on Saturday I lost it, I was crying all night long. Then yesterday and today the same thing. Crying for no real reason, thinking I'm a loser and that noone cares, wishing I was dead.

I don't know wtf is going on?? Why did it just seem to stop working all of a sudden? I REALLY don't want to have to be on anti-depressants forever, but right now I'm feeling like that may end up being the case because throughout my life I've been depressed on and off. I just want to be happy with myself and my life!

Help... what should I do? I went to a therapist for a year, my last session was in September '07. I don't feel like there is much more a therapist can do for me because my old therapist did show me WHY I get depressed. I'm not too sure that I want to do therapy again.

MACATTAK

You need to go back to whomever prescribed the medication for you. Sometimes our bodies get immune to what we take. The same thing happened to me before & I was on Wellbutrin (generic brand) as well. They may either give you a larger dose or start you on a new medication, or a combination of the two. It seems like you really need them right now, so please get to your doctor asap. Don't suffer if you don't have to! Hugs to you
smiles.gif

peacelover18

Yeah, that's happened to me too. I've been on every anti-depressant there is because after awhile they each stopped working for me. You should probably get them to up the dose or switch to a new medication.

sparklingmuse

they may need to up your dosage. they always start at a low dosage so that your body gets used to it and responds well and then they slowly up the concentration.

and therapists do work...you may feel super sad after a session because you let it tap into your emotions, but it helps out more for the long run.

tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
You need to go back to whomever prescribed the medication for you. Sometimes our bodies get immune to what we take. The same thing happened to me before & I was on Wellbutrin (generic brand) as well. They may either give you a larger dose or start you on a new medication, or a combination of the two. It seems like you really need them right now, so please get to your doctor asap. Don't suffer if you don't have to! Hugs to you
smiles.gif

The doctor that perscribed them to me is in L.A. I'm in NJ now... so I'm going to have to find a new doctor and tell him my very long history with depression. Ugh. And just last month I was thinking that I felt good and maybe I'd be able to go off the Wellbutrin and be ok.
ssad.gif

tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover18
Yeah, that's happened to me too. I've been on every anti-depressant there is because after awhile they each stopped working for me. You should probably get them to up the dose or switch to a new medication.

That really sucks. I hope you are doing ok.

tricky

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to use them anymore. But I'm beginning to feel that this depression is something I can't control no matter what and it will always be there no matter if my life is horrible, fantastc, or somewhere in between.

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
The doctor that perscribed them to me is in L.A. I'm in NJ now... so I'm going to have to find a new doctor and tell him my very long history with depression. Ugh. And just last month I was thinking that I felt good and maybe I'd be able to go off the Wellbutrin and be ok.
ssad.gif

Definitely find a new doctor where you are. I've been off anti-depressants for a couple of years. It can happen, but everyone is different. This probably isn't the right time for you. There is no shame in using medication and getting help. NO shame at all. Take care of yourself!

peacelover18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
That really sucks. I hope you are doing ok.

Oh, I went off anti-depressants a couple of years ago. I found that I could manage just as well on my own, and I didn't want to be taking pills for the rest of my life. I have some bad days every now and then but overall I'm doing okay.

I hope everything works out for you, honey.

tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover18
Oh, I went off anti-depressants a couple of years ago. I found that I could manage just as well on my own, and I didn't want to be taking pills for the rest of my life. I have some bad days every now and then but overall I'm doing okay.

I hope everything works out for you, honey.

How did you learn to deal with stuff without medication? This is what I need to figure out.

sitasati

hi tricky

The FDA recently changed labels on most anti depressants like wellbutrin and prozac ..prolonged usage can cause suicidal thoughts. I really don't know what kind of thoughts ur getting or how u exactly feel but you should definitely speak to ur doctor about changing medication. If you go to your pharmacy you can have ur pharmacist call ur doctor about ur meds in New Jersey and may be he can prescribe u something different over the phone.

tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitasati
hi tricky

The FDA recently changed labels on most anti depressants like wellbutrin and prozac ..prolonged usage can cause suicidal thoughts. I really don't know what kind of thoughts ur getting or how u exactly feel but you should definitely speak to ur doctor about changing medication. If you go to your pharmacy you can have ur pharmacist call ur doctor about ur meds in New Jersey and may be he can prescribe u something different over the phone.

I had suicidal thoughts before I ever went on anti-depressants, even as kid I had suicidal thoughts. So I don't really think it's the medication that is making me have those... but maybe?

Anyhow I'm going to make an appoinment tomorrow with a doctor out here. I really liked Wellbutrin because it didn't cause any negative effects to my libido, I know that's usually a side effect with AD's.

I feel really helpless when it comes to my depression. I want it to go away.

FullWroth

You could have grown a tolerance, or they could just need to up your dosage. Definitely get a doctor ASAP, because with ANY kind of longterm medication, you NEED to be regularly checked. When I was on Wellbutrin, I had to have blood tests once a year to make sure it wasn't hurting my liver. It's unfortunate, but when your choices are "be suicidal and miserable and do nothing good with your life ever" or "take some medication and possibly abruptly have to stop taking it if it starts damaging your body," well... one risk is far more appealing.

Lots of ADs nowadays really don't have the libido side-effects anymore. Those were the days of MAOIs, which had LOTS of negative side-effects. SSRIs are more common now, and they're a lot tamer. Things will only get better as research continues. Maybe you'll get put on Lexapro - that seems to be the holy grail right now.

I'd recommend continuing therapy either way though - your previous therp may have told you *why* you get depressed, but therapy really is an ongoing process to help you DEAL with it once the causes of your issues are revealed. If you're still breaking down and losing it, there may be residual issues you still have to deal with, and having someone you can go to who won't look at you funny for being clinically depressed is always a good idea.

SparklingWaves

You really need to stay in contact with a doctor. They closely monitor your medications to maintain the effectiveness. They can pick up on things you may not notice that your meds need adjustment.

As you know, you do feel the difference when your medications are working. It makes all the difference in the world.

makeup_wh0re

I am 23 and I was diagnosed at 14 with bi-polar disorder. I have NEVER found a medicine that has worked for me, and it makes me miserable lol. I am still trying. There were times when I would take them and it seemed like they were working for a month or so but then I would realize that they weren't. I think it was me hoping lol. My therapist said that happens to people alot. I have taken wellbutrin before and it was like I wasn't taking anything at all, not any negative or positive effects at all. I will say one of the things I find that helps me is to have someone to talk to, someone that doesn't know you and the people around you. If you ever need anyone to talk to, You are more than welcome to message me. I know how hard it can be. I cry all the time lol.

AmberLilith

It's probably all been said already, but go to see a GP!
It might be that you've developed a tolerance to the drug.
It might be that you're having a downer and you'll be ok on the same meds, or that you need a new anti-depressant.
And it's up to you whether you want to take it -you can choose to stay on the one you're on or to try another one. Or to come off them completely -don't do anything you're not comfortable with!

I've been there too, have become tolerant to an anti-depressant then tried to find another that worked for me.
I've tried several anti-depressants and have been on them constantly for 10 years for very severe depression and unlike you however, i do think i'll be on them a long time, maybe all my life.

Anyway, sorry for getting a bit sidetracked.
I hope you're ok Tricky and that your appointment went ok!

tricky

Thanks everyone for the support. I made an appointment for tomorrow morning so I'll see how it goes!

stacylynne

Go see a new DR. Try to find a new therapist & work out your issues. (We all have issues, I don't care what anyone says).

Iv'e been on Prozac for years already & iv'e been fine with it. My only concern is coming off them. I don't know what will happen.
Well good luck to you & I hope you find the right DR for you.

Sanayhs

When I finally broke down and went to my doctor for anti-depressants (it was a many year struggle in which I tried everything I could to avoid anti-depressants, but sometimes they're just necessary) she told me the following: typically, if you have one serious depressive episode, you will be on anti-depressants for six months to a year; if you have two episodes, it will be 2-3 years; three or more episodes means you could be on them for as long as five years or even indefinitely.

I'm the last case, though I try to go off them every now and then for about a week just to make sure I'm really supposed to be on them (I am). I know how hard it can be if you're on the wrong dose or wrong drug, too; it's definitely rough.

Being able to go off of anti-depressants isn't just adjusting mentally to learn to cope: it's also chemistry. Anti-depressants can help to retrain your brain chemistry, I believe (which would make sense when you consider people who truly do need them initially can get better and eventually stop taking them).

Therapy can feel useless and very frustrating, but it is absolutely beneficial. Studies show that simultaneous use of medication and therapy has higher success rates than medication alone. Even if you simply use a therapist as someone to rant at, it can help. In my personal experience, it also helps to keep you very conscious of the medication you are putting in your body and what is going on with you; I would hate to ever just pop a pill thoughtlessly and expect it to help me (that's my personal preference, keep in mind - I don't like relying on medications). Furthermore, a therapist can point out that you ARE making progress and remind you of where you started. It's very easy to miss any progress you make when you're suffering from depression.

It will be frustrating to go through your history with a new doctor, but absolutely worth it. I hope your appointment goes well and I hope you sort everything out as soon as possible.

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylynne
Go see a new DR. Try to find a new therapist & work out your issues. (We all have issues, I don't care waht anyone says).

Iv'e been on Prozac for years already & iv'e been fine with it. My only concern is coming off them. I don't know what will happen.
Well good luck to you & I hope you find the right DR for you.

Going off of them is much like going on: you do it gradually, monitor it closely and hope for the best.
smiles.gif

Latest posts