has my anti-depressant stopped working??

sitasati

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
I had suicidal thoughts before I ever went on anti-depressants, even as kid I had suicidal thoughts. So I don't really think it's the medication that is making me have those... but maybe?

Anyhow I'm going to make an appoinment tomorrow with a doctor out here. I really liked Wellbutrin because it didn't cause any negative effects to my libido, I know that's usually a side effect with AD's.

I feel really helpless when it comes to my depression. I want it to go away.

Well the meds increase the frequency of the thoughts. I used to be on ads at one point ...I realized they didn't help me but actually made things worse for me. So I woke up one day and took control of my emotions and thoughts. It's a constant daily battle with no white light in sight for a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy long time. But I've come very far and I'm never going back to meds.

FullWroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitasati
Well the meds increase the frequency of the thoughts.

Only in a certain percentage of people. It's been common knowledge in the antidepressant industry for a long time that for a certain percentage of people, an antidepressant can have the opposite effect from what it's intended to have. It's why you need to keep in touch with your doctor or therapist while you're on ADs - if they don't work correctly, or they're starting to hurt you, you go to the doctor and try new ones. Between the low incidence of increased suicidal thoughts and the sheer number of effective antidepressants in the market now, it is HIGHLY unlikely for a person not to find an antidepressant that works for them.

For the vast majority of people, antidepressants do NOT make suicidal thoughts worse, they make them better, and saying they worsen suicidal thoughts for everyone is a very dangerous piece of misinformation.

tricky

So I went to the doctor today. She told me I need to do the following:
- excercise, which I don't do, because I hate. But I like pilates so I'm going to get a DVD & a mat so I can do it at home. Unfortunately I can't afford to take pilates classes in my area.
- get a good night's sleep. I usually only sleep 6-7 hrs a night during the week and am tired a lot.
- meditate. she gave me a pamphlet of a place that has meditation classes so I'm going to check it out.
- find a therapist. she said I didn't necessarily have to go every week, I could probably go when I feel like I need it, so maybe 1 or 2 times a month.

She said she could increase the dosage on the Wellbutrin too. I hope that if I do those things listed above I won't need that. I told her I'd wait a month and see how it goes. The last couple days I've felt pretty good though, my friend told me that I need to remember to live one day at a time. So I'm trying to remember that and keep myself occupied... it's the times that I get bored that I start thinking negative shit and get all depressed.

AmberLilith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanayhs
typically, if you have one serious depressive episode, you will be on anti-depressants for six months to a year; if you have two episodes, it will be 2-3 years; three or more episodes means you could be on them for as long as five years or even indefinitely.

I'm the last case

I think it's very hard to make generalisations as each person is different and the circumstances and environment for each person are also different.
Personally, I'm the latter too, I've been taking antidepressants for 10 years and have had 3 major episodes and also have dysthymia.

Quote:
Being able to go off of anti-depressants isn't just adjusting mentally to learn to cope: it's also chemistry. Anti-depressants can help to retrain your brain chemistry, I believe (which would make sense when you consider people who truly do need them initially can get better and eventually stop taking them).

Thanks for saying this, it's important info that people should have: depression is biological as well as psychological (hence the use and effectiveness of drug treatments). Antidepressants try to right the balance of neurotransmitters (serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine) in the brain. These chemicals are linked to depression, particularly serotonin.

Quote:
Studies show that simultaneous use of medication and therapy has higher success rates than medication alone. Even if you simply use a therapist as someone to rant at, it can help. In my personal experience, it also helps to keep you very conscious of the medication you are putting in your body and what is going on with you; I would hate to ever just pop a pill thoughtlessly and expect it to help me (that's my personal preference, keep in mind - I don't like relying on medications). Furthermore, a therapist can point out that you ARE making progress and remind you of where you started. It's very easy to miss any progress you make when you're suffering from depression.

True.
And i agree with you -having a therapist helps keep you grounded when you feel like you're making no progress and you never will make progress and life is never going to be any different... etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullWroth
Only in a certain percentage of people....

For the vast majority of people, antidepressants do NOT make suicidal thoughts worse, they make them better, and saying they worsen suicidal thoughts for everyone is a very dangerous piece of misinformation.

Thanks for writing this FullWroth, I would have said something similar.

A lot of antidepressants do have listed under side effects 'risk of suicidal thoughts/ideation' --this is because they have to list every side effect that has ever been reported on that medication.
It does not mean that this is a side effect that everyone will get or that it is a side effect of all antidepressants.

AmberLilith

Hi Tricky, hope you're well.
Glad to hear the appt went ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
...it's the times that I get bored that I start thinking negative shit and get all depressed.

Just thought i'd point you in the direction of another depression-related thread from a month or so ago, everyone chipped in with advice about keeping occupied etc
I could do with looking at it myself at the moment!
Here's the thread:
http://specktra.net/f221/those-havin...ression-83495/

kobri

Well I was glad to see that you went to a doctor! As my doc says depression is not about what is going on in your life it's about what is going on in your head and your body. It's difficult to ask for help and it is scary when you think it's not working. You should be proud of yourself for having the strength to get better and to keep trying.
I have been on anti depressants a few times over the past 12 years or so. I went through long periods of being "ok" without them, but eventually I needed them again. Going on or off meds is not a decision to take lightly. If you are having suicidal thoughts then it is about saving your own life. Don't ever feel like less because you need a medication, lots of people need medications for lots of things. You would never look down on someone else who needed a medication would you? There are a whole lot of people out there going through the same thing and I am sure everyone of them would send your their support and encouragement. I hope things even out for you.

FullWroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobri
Don't ever feel like less because you need a medication, lots of people need medications for lots of things.

Yeah, this is something I had to struggle with myself, coming from a home where I was taught that you don't ever NEED medication for anything psychological other than the big hitters (schizophrenia, DID, etc.), and if you're taking it, you're just falling back on it because you lack the willpower. It was hard to reconcile that upbringing with the reality that, for a very short time (thankfully), I needed antidepressants or I just couldn't function.

The big difference that many people (myself included at one point) still aren't taught is that clinical depression and "I had a bad day, what a bummer" depression are two completely different things. If you're just a mopey person who focuses on the negative, then yeah, you don't need medication, you need to suck it up and get a hobby and go hang out with your friends or something. That's not clinical depression, that's outlook and/or just having a sucky life.

Clinical depression is constant and serious depression without reason, because your brain sends the wrong chemicals through your body. You can't will that away, you can only diminish it a little bit if you're REALLY disciplined. It's like taking a sleeping pill and then trying to run a marathon - you can't WILL that chemical out of your system, and sure, if you're stronger you can overcome it for longer, but eventually anyone under that condition will pass out.