hated on for wearing makeup

Beutyjunkie84

Hello to all,

Too make a long story short w/o too much detail lol
Me and my mother were at the mall today and I was looking at the Clinque makeup counter and a group of girls about 4 of em passed by staring me down. I ignored it just went on looking

Then I saw them about 15 minutes later looking at me funny and then I heard one of them say in a teasing voice "Well maybe I should buy some makeup" and a couple of them laughed. Now at first I was like no they are not talking about me but I feel as though it was evident.Its not a really big deal but it got on my nerves

There has been several occassions where I have gotten comments before. I live in an area where people are plain janes and when I bust out in HOT pink lipstick(fun and sexy lipstick lol w magenta lip liner lol) and blush(sheer bronze by MAC lol)-I get hated on. I feel if you dont wear makeup thats your choice I respect it. But I have a passion for it- I love it- I dont have to wear it I just love to-just like the rest of you beauties out there

Share your thoughts or stories on similar situtations

Much love to you all

gildedangel

I get snickered at once in awhile for wearing a full face. I know how you feel, the only place that I feel "safe" about wearing makeup is at MAC! My parents especially don't understand my passion for makeup, so it is hard for me to even leave the house in fun makeup.

Strawberrymold

wow what a bunch of bitches! I get stared at sometimes when I do something really crazy, but hated on over pink lipstick? Really?

More power to you for doing and wearing what you love anyways!

Tashona Helena

I didn't even meet people who knew what MAC & Sephora was until last year so trust me I know what you're going through. I even get the "OMG" those are extensions? And people wanted to feel up my hair. So I know how it is to be looked down upon when you do something out of the norm beauty wise. Just ignore them, because just like I've seen here, in a couple of years they'll be shopping at MAC trying to steal your swag
smiles.gif

Beutyjunkie84

Thanks u guys are sweet hearts. Im glad you understand.I know flipping over hot pink lipstick isnt that crazy?! And thats low key for me. I usually like more dramatic looks but in this life...not to get deep... you gotta be yourself. Makeup is so much fun and its hard some people to understand that passion

mdjmsj

I've been dealing with the same issue today! I feel sort of like I'm being treated a bit differently and considered more 'high maintance' or 'snooty' if I'm wearing a bright and fun ES look! No one in my sleepy area of CT really wears anything colorful or fun so I guess I'm something to see here but I really love it and don't want to let people judging me get in the way of what I enjoy. If it makes you happy, go for it I say.

ShortnSassy

i definitely have that happen on a regular basis - everyday actually! not only do i wear girl about town lipstick almost everyday but i also love fun es and super long lashes! on top of that i have long hair extensions and my hair is BRIGHT turquoise so i get funny looks/comments all day long! i feel like who cares??? you're creative and can do it, so why not flaunt it?? lots of people tell me "if i could do my makeup like yours, i would wear it like that everyday." but most people are that daring as we are (or talented!). rock your makeup girls - and don't care what ANYONE thinks!!!

SassyMochaJess

I sooo understand how you feel! Even though where I'm from people are more open. I get hated on in school (college at that) for wearing a full face! I'm talking about neutral eyes + liner mascara, blush and gloss
shrugs.gif
, not even like club status!

In french class we were to say the things we do in the morning when getting dressed and off course I included applying makeup and then a group of three busted out laughing extra hard. Must admit it sorta hurt my feelings
crybaby.gif
but that would never stop me from wear something I love. Plus I always look better than them
girlhaha.gif
girlhaha.gif

SerenityRaine

Been there, oh the joy! They're just jealous. When I was HS someone started a rumor that I looked like a French Whore because of my make up.
th_confused_new.gif
To this day I wonder what a French Whore looks like lol. All this at a "lovely" private Christian school..

miss sha

I don't get what they all find so funny about wearing makeup. What's the big deal? Unless it's badly applied, I don't get why people are hating.
th_dunno.gif

All my life until now, I've never been into wearing makeup and I still get prickly when people say that everyone should wear makeup, but in all that time, I never once laughed at anybody for being dolled up. I'm not even kidding right now when I say that I really don't understand it. O___o

Not that I'm doubting that people do laugh! People can be dicks, I sure as hell know all about that. :/

User27

I used to fight with my ex for wearing my makeup as he was a very strict Muslim. One time my brother-in-law came over while I was blending shadows, as I played mostly at home, and he said I looked like a whore. I didn't defend myself and my husband at the time said I was an embarrassment and he hoped I'd change my ways. If I did leave the house with make up in place and he got word of it later from whatever Desi grocery store I had gone to, he'd talk down to me for hours saying I wasn't fit to be married to. Word actually got around the community here that I probably was a prostitute and they sympathized with my husband when I left the relationship. I avoid anybody I knew from the mosque we went to or anybody that remembered me when I was a practising Muslim because I fear what they heard from before. Luckily my fiance now loves me for who I am but it took forever for me to be comfortable in my own skin. God I used to be massively bound.

Elusive21

The only time I got hated on for wearing too much makeup was in 9th grade when one of my so called friends told another friend of mine that I wore waaay too much makeup. Which is funny because I think only wore blush, foundation, mascara, and lipgloss at the time.

Now I just get compliments on my makeup - even if I'm wearing a ton.

Beutyjunkie84

I guess sometimes it depends on the situation and the people your around.Sometimes you'll get compliments and sometimes you get insults. I get compliments also but insults come w/ jealousy/ Just like w/ anything else people hate and disagree w/ what you do when they dont do it or agree w/ it.

I love makeup and I feel as though I apply it well. If someone doesnt like makeup or hates wearing it-I respect that b/c thats them. But that works both ways. Makeup is art and a form of expression- i plan on doing it for a looooong time- HOLLA!

highonmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casadalinnis
I used to fight with my ex for wearing my makeup as he was a very strict Muslim. One time my brother-in-law came over while I was blending shadows, as I played mostly at home, and he said I looked like a whore. I didn't defend myself and my husband at the time said I was an embarrassment and he hoped I'd change my ways. If I did leave the house with make up in place and he got word of it later from whatever Desi grocery store I had gone to, he'd talk down to me for hours saying I wasn't fit to be married to. Word actually got around the community here that I probably was a prostitute and they sympathized with my husband when I left the relationship. I avoid anybody I knew from the mosque we went to or anybody that remembered me when I was a practising Muslim because I fear what they heard from before. Luckily my fiance now loves me for who I am but it took forever for me to be comfortable in my own skin. God I used to be massively bound.

I am very hapy you found someone who accepts your passions and your self.
smiles.gif

My sister is the worse. Everytime I wore bright eyeshadow or something BAM BAM POw she'd always take it upon herself to tell me how i look retarded, like a clown and then go ahead and tell everybody else after about how I wear my makeup. Yet when she is in my room she'd go through all my stuff and be like why do you need this, you have too much and I would be like "Your jsut saying that cause you want something" and she'd say yes in her fake cute voice. Mind you, my sister is 7 years older than me. She is 26 and I am 19.

Boasorte

Where would life be without haters love?

I got a few looks before for daring to wear an eyeshadow colour other than brown *shoot me now, GASP*
But people who do those things like stare and laugh, clearly don't get our passion for makeup.
Do we question these ppl's obsession with Twilight, Anime, video games, and cars, and who knows what else?
live n let live

RedRibbon

Maybe they're just jealous that they can't look as good as you, that's usually the reason
smiles.gif

My aunt is infamous for making these snide comments and then going out and getting the exact same product but she gets it oh so wrong it's laughable.

Examples include: (none are exagerrated, sadly):
  • She saw me wearing a pale pink lip which she said made me look like an idiot because pale pink doesn't suit Indian skins..my pencil was from Boots and cost a maximum of £2. The next time I see her, she's wearing a horrendous bright pink lipstick with a lighter shade of lip pencil and a darker shade of pink lipgloss and she looks terrible. She came over to me and told me she got her whole lip look from YSL and Dior because she believes expensive make up is better.
  • She saw me applying Rimmel's Stay Matte powder and went out and bought some really expensive translucent powder which was rubbish and then complained as to why I looked so natural and she didn't.
  • She has seen that I have YSL foundation which I love, she went out and bought the same one in the same shade that I have, despite her skin being lighter than mine
    nonono.gif
    nonono.gif
    , then wondered why she looked so funny
  • She borrowed some YSL TE from my other aunt then went out and brought it in the shade for black skin
  • She saw that I had Lancome Juicy Tubes in three shades which I told her came in a special box, she didn't believe me and went out to buy them and got them individually
  • She has every single makeup brush MAC have ever made and has ruined them beyond belief, to wash them she puts them in the washing machine in a special bag and then hangs them out to dry by pegging the bristles...I SWEAR THIS IS THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH..
  • She has really really really bad dark circles but refuses to buy a concealer, she believes that a thicker covering of foundation will cover them up..
  • She has every high end mascara out there but can never apply it properly despite us offering to teach her
  • If someone gives her tips on makeup she says "I don't buy high end makeup because I don't know how to use it"
  • She assumes that people only buy drugstore stuff because they can't afford high end, not because drug store works better for them
  • The most annoying thing she does is call people ugly, she will come out with stuff like "my makeup is all high end stuff but she always looks better than me..how is that possible?" Once she said "her (mine) face is much darker than mine and her makeup is cheap, yet it all matches her skin colour.."
  • I have Bobbi Brown gel liners which come with that small applicator brush thing, she saw them and laughed saying something like "I don't know why you got that, you can't even get a decent line out". Two weeks later we had a family function and she's bought a BB gel liner brush and is shoving the brush into the liquid liner container

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRibbon
Maybe they're just jealous that they can't look as good as you, that's usually the reason
smiles.gif

My aunt is infamous for making these snide comments and then going out and getting the exact same product but she gets it oh so wrong it's laughable.

I think your aunt is either jealous of you or going through a midlife crisis of sorts. She totally contradicts herself by saying "she doesn't buy high end make up" then buying a Bobbi Brown gel liner. Last I checked, that stuff was still out of my price range and I'd have to give up MAC for a week. Blasted, shimmering nudes palette that I still haven't gotten...f%*k (end of me yelling at myself). Your aunt probably feels her age and doesn't realize she's taking out her aging dilemma on you out of not handling that she's getting older. I'm not saying a sympathize with her, just sayong she might need to be made aware that she's putting you through mental abuse to a degree by degrading you all the time or trying to one up you like you all are in a contest.

You mentioned being Indian, totally relate to the Boots part of a pale pink liner. My error was Trifle lipglass because whoa, wasted purchase on me. You're lucky you can pull off pale colors because I look like crap when I try.

RedRibbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casadalinnis
I think your aunt is either jealous of you or going through a midlife crisis of sorts. She totally contradicts herself by saying "she doesn't buy high end make up" then buying a Bobbi Brown gel liner. Last I checked, that stuff was still out of my price range and I'd have to give up MAC for a week. Blasted, shimmering nudes palette that I still haven't gotten...f%*k (end of me yelling at myself). Your aunt probably feels her age and doesn't realize she's taking out her aging dilemma on you out of not handling that she's getting older. I'm not saying a sympathize with her, just sayong she might need to be made aware that she's putting you through mental abuse to a degree by degrading you all the time or trying to one up you like you all are in a contest.

You mentioned being Indian, totally relate to the Boots part of a pale pink liner. My error was Trifle lipglass because whoa, wasted purchase on me. You're lucky you can pull off pale colors because I look like crap when I try.

You're too kind for saying that, the Boots purchase was a total stroke of luck, we were on the way to a wedding and I left my makeup at home and that was the only pencil they had left so I had to work with what I had..

Back to my aunt, I don't know if I mistyped but I meant that she says she only buys high end products because she assumes they will do the work for her. She has been this bitchy ever since she got married into the family, I think she was about 22 then and ever since then she's been badmouthing what everyone else buys and then buying the same ever since then. The whole family is aware that it's because she is insecure and we've tried to help her so many times but she just badmouths everything we have then buys in shades which suit us, not her and then she complains as to why she looks so silly in photos.

By the way, if you mean that big shimmering palette (with a bluey shade and some darker shades in it) then save up for it, it's gorgeous! It's the only palette I've used which lets me build up a look and not make it look like I've gone mad with layering
smiles.gif

ETA: I'm talking about this palette:

Pastel Eye Shadow Palette - Eyes - Bobbi Brown Cosmetics UK

MsWonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRibbon

• She has every single makeup brush MAC have ever made and has ruined them beyond belief, to wash them she puts them in the washing machine in a special bag and then hangs them out to dry by pegging the bristles...I SWEAR THIS IS THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH..

thmbup.gif
Good job!

Latest posts