Have you ever feel offended by...

beautifulxface

I do get offended when people talk negatively about my religion. I'm a Christian, raised Baptist and Nazarene, as well as my family and extended family.

We are not bible thumper's, we don't stand on the side of the street and tell people that they're going to hell for piercings/being gay/pregnant, etc or whatever reasons other people have been doing.

I always cringe when I walk through San Fransisco and I have someone with a sign stuck over their head and someone screaming in my ear that my hair isn't the color God wanted it to be.

But I still have parent's of friends, or acquaintances saying that we're crazy and stupid for our beliefs, and then go into a rant and belittle us, calling us 'p*ssies' or whatever hateful term they can think of.

I stay quiet about it now because if I try and stick up for myself I get even more profanity slung in my face - and when I tell them how it gets to me, I get mocked with, 'Oh, is the Christain bitch going to cry because I swore in her face?'

No. I think anyone would cry if they were belittled and attacked for something they believe in. I've never gotten into someone's face. Never, ever preached or thrown a bible at someone. I just believe what I believe, and if someone is interested in it, I'll share. If not, I'm quiet and tend to keep it to myself.

It really hurts me when people turn around and snap at me like this, all because I say that I'm a Christain.

Now, I have nothing wrong with people having an opinion on what they believe in. And I have the upmost respect for someone stating and standing up for what they feel is true and right to themselves.

Though, sometimes I wish the respect for other people would come full circle. I don't believe put down's and hurtful things need to be said to 'get your point across.' To anyone.

I know religion has really been a sour note for a lot of people in the past couple of years with all of this war going on, BUT -

No one in their race, religion, etc are going to be a cookie cutter, 'does this and that' sort of life. We are individual people with our own personal, beliefs, values and opinions.

Before you (< plural) judge, people should be treated and seen as individuals, no matter the race, religion, sexual orientation or whatever it is before someone try's to group them into a naive little sterotype box.

Kragey

Recently, in a nearby town, a family had a 6-foot cross erected in their backyard and lit on fire. The family was away at their son's football game, so they never saw the burning cross. A day or so later, they noticed the charred cross in their backyard.

Oh, by the way, the son is black and was recently adopted by this white family after his birth parents died, and police are pretty sure it was a KKK-style backlash at the boy's adopters. People. are. DISGUSTING. >=(

ShockBunnie

I'm part irish, dutch, german, and half mexican. I'm very light in skin tone, so growing up, people would always call me caucasian. My mom would tell me to answer that I'm NOT caucasian because I didn't come from the Caucasus mountains... she said "if they REALLY wanna know, tell them you're part of the HUMAN race because really, that's all that matters." My mom is right about some things! hahah
greengrin.gif

Almond_Eyed

I get offended when people say "Jap" instead of "Japanese." It was a racial slur used in WWII, but a lot of people just don't know...

Babylard

^ i actually never knew that. but i can tell you that most people say jap for the sake of abreviating it and there is no harm intended. whether its "i got jap class.." "lets get some jap food".. you know, its innocent, i hope you dont take any offense as people dont really mean it that way. japanese culture is very embraced and loved i think =) personally, japanese food is my fav. lol

AmiS4ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
Diabetes is not a genetic disease, true its more prevalent(sp) in the black community, but that comes from having a poor diet and not living a healthy lifestyle, ( eating habits and exercise) not from genetics. I understand what you mean though. In the black community we are more prone to (genetically speaking) sickle cell. I have the sickle cell trait. which means I inherited genetically from one of my parents ( that would be my DADDY, LUV YA!) My daughter has the trait, and it will be passed on .... If I her dad had the trait as well as myself she could have possibly had sickle cell, and the same issue continues with her when she decides to have a baby. I do understand what you meant though. Now, thats not to say other races don't have or can't get sickle cell.

I know I read waaaaay early on to be responding to this, but diabetes is a genetically inherited disease, but it depends on the Type of diabetes you have. Type-1 (Juvenile) derives from an inhereited gene that decreases the amount of insulin you produce. Type-2 Adult is most likely the one you're referring to where you do not eat healthy and don't exercise. What happens there is that your pancreas basically overworks itself trying to provide insulin for all the fatty good you consume and over time, it will produce less and less insulin, thus the high sugar count.

I know that particular topic has probably been talked over and over already but I was reading this thread and it genuinely bothered me that someone did not think diabetes is inherited. I have type-1 and it sucks having to go in the bathroom to take your insulin because ignorants think you're shooting up.

-jumps off of her soapbox-

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
I get offended when people say something is ghetto when it is far from it.

Yeah I found that slightly annoying. Ran into alot of that in surburbia.

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanymorgan
read a book and learn that their are other countries out there that have brown people!! hahah.

True. I had to remind someone recently that most ppl of the world are ppl of color.

PMBG83

Quote:
yeah um i am not sure i would consider BET or the NAACP racist for the reasons described. The channel and the organization are not opposed to caucasian artists or members-i think Madonna was on BET a couple of weeks ago. Now i don't think BET is all that and i think the NAACP has been outdated for some time but now they have a 35 y.o. leader so that may change. i agree with couturesista-this is taking a turn.

I agree I dont find them racist (nor do I find affirmative action as being something thats not needed), but I dont watch the channel all that often anymore its usually TV1 and Centric for me now, more informative.

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
just read some of the insults some Spektra members of color has had to endure, and that's in the 21st century.

Agreed. If you havent already noticed you should see how some ppl are acting in out right real life, ahem, at this particular time in our country's history.

PMBG83

Quote:
this is a stereotype that bothers me as well. it makes it as if all black men just want to have sex with a white girl-the same as with white men sleeping with women of different ethnicities for a certain effect (ie-latin women for more fiery sex or asian women for submissive sex). or even (for sake of the first example) that all white women want to have sex with a black stud. these stereotypes often fuel the criticism of interracial relationships.

oh yes thank you thank you! I mean its annoying when you see white guys in movies trying to covet the extoic ethnic women but its digusts me even more when one actually comes up to me in real life and ask/say "hey ever been with a white guy, cause Ive never been with a black girl and would love to be with one". HACK!

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandru
Man, I try not to get offended at most things b/c I feel that most people are just ignorant when they say certain stuff. So, I'll let them know that what they said can/is/would be offensive and why...

But sometimes, I get freaking tired of doing that...especially when it seems I'm the only person who would be offended. Like a couple of weeks ago, I was eating lunch w/ my coworkers and for the point of this story, I'll have to mention I am the only black person that works in my office. Anywho, we started talking about Kool-aid for some reason or another. I mentioned that I went to a restaurant outside of chi-town that actually had Kool-aid on the menu (and it was RED, my fav flavor, lol... ps. RED =cherry flavor). And I said I got it.

Then my coworker says.. "yep, and you got some friend chicken and watermelon with it didn't ya?" and proceeds to laugh his head off. Then everyone at the table turns and looks at me like "Are you going to say something?" And at this point, I am looking at him, with my mouth open like... ummm....everyone at this table knows that shit is offensive, so why don't you?

Since I was at work, I wanted to gather myself before I just went off on that guy. But, the girl next to me started in on him w/o any remorse, and he really tried to turn to me for help.. his excuse? "What? Dave Chapelle said it!"

SMH. I just added on to the other girls tirade that YES, what you just said is EXTREMELY offensive to me... but in his defense he actually was raised in a barn.

Omg I find it almost hilarious to see when some non black ppl try to be slick or sly and come in with the whole "Oh I mean I didnt think it would offend you but I was kind certain it would" deal.

One time I saying my farwells to some white co-workers, b/c I was leaving for my family's Thanksgiving dinner, out of nowhere dude just blurbs "oh alright tell me how grits and connnebread(yes he tried to throw a black affect to his voice, and a lil sly grin) tastes. Unlike like yours dru, I got him straight right then and there I didnt see any need in waiting
yes.gif

And still my favorite to this day, white guy goes "oh wow your weave looks awesome" I go "no weave babe all natural" he goes "dude like seriously I didnt think black girls could even grow long hair thats like so totally kool" then he proceeds "well I mean you know how blacks girls dont really take care of their hair and need a weave to make it look decent". So you can guess by now how Im looking at him and then how I proceeded to torch him nice and proper.ARRRRRGHHH!!!!!!!!

joygasm

Well I'm indian. And someone left a nasty comment about arabic and middle eastern people on this youtube video. So I showed my friend and I tried to laugh it off until she said to me, "They scare me, when they come on trains I automatically think omgomg bomb. lmao"

Now it hurts me to think people still associate us with terrorists. I mean so many whites have commited crimes, but no one seems to group them up and turn against them.

And I'm one that doesn't get offended by the racist remarks people throw around :/
So I felt bad for getting offended.

joygasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almond_Eyed
I get offended when people say "Jap" instead of "Japanese." It was a racial slur used in WWII, but a lot of people just don't know...

Actually I did know. And most of the time I do hear people say it, it's from people that intend to use it racially.
Also when people call my friend a chink I get pissed off. 'Cause its more irritating than ever.

joygasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBOOLINA
I know what you´re saying, I´m peruvian, and some ignorant people think that the only country in latin america is mexico, come on! Peru is a whole different country. lol.

LOL.
Well I get called mexican and I'm indian.
It annoys me cause of the ignorance but not that much.
People usually assume I'm latin for some reason.
But my parents are from the caribbean so it doesn't bug me too much.

S.S.BlackOrchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by joygasm
LOL.
Well I get called mexican and I'm indian.
It annoys me cause of the ignorance but not that much.
People usually assume I'm latin for some reason.
But my parents are from the caribbean so it doesn't bug me too much.

Haha I get that too and I'm from India. It's not even the same continent, people!

joygasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.BlackOrchid
Haha I get that too and I'm from India. It's not even the same continent, people!

Haha I know right!
I think I look pretty middle eastern.
I don't understand the mix up hahaha.

Kragey

Quote:
Well I'm indian. And someone left a nasty comment about arabic and middle eastern people on this youtube video. So I showed my friend and I tried to laugh it off until she said to me, "They scare me, when they come on trains I automatically think omgomg bomb. lmao"

Now it hurts me to think people still associate us with terrorists. I mean so many whites have commited crimes, but no one seems to group them up and turn against them.

And I'm one that doesn't get offended by the racist remarks people throw around :/
So I felt bad for getting offended.

I had a boyfriend who was Punjabi, and people used to always ask if he was Arabic. (He really wasn't even dark...must've been the dark hair.) And he would say, "Oh, no, I'm Indian." And people would say, "Oh, same thing!"

I tried to explain it nicely to people at first, but some people were REALLY annoying about it. It's like, "Oh, you're brown, but you're not black, so you MUST be Arabic, and all Muslims are Arabic, and all Arabs are Muslims, and la la la..." It's like, "NO, IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!" Half of them are just thinking that all brown people, all Muslims, and all Arabs are bad, so if you "look like one," you HAVE to be one, and you just don't UNDERSTAND your own ANCESTRY. And it really blows people's minds when I show them that, according to the US Census, Indians are "Asian" and Arabs are "Caucasian." (So contrary to popular belief, Arabs are not "another species."
nonono.gif
)

Speaking of...I almost died when some kid was giving a speech in my one class, and he kept saying India is part of the Middle East. India is part of South Asia; what we describe as "the Middle East" is up and to the left a good bit more. Really, people, look at a map if you're going to do a speech about it!

joygasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
I had a boyfriend who was Punjabi, and people used to always ask if he was Arabic. (He really wasn't even dark...must've been the dark hair.) And he would say, "Oh, no, I'm Indian." And people would say, "Oh, same thing!"

I tried to explain it nicely to people at first, but some people were REALLY annoying about it. It's like, "Oh, you're brown, but you're not black, so you MUST be Arabic, and all Muslims are Arabic, and all Arabs are Muslims, and la la la..." It's like, "NO, IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!" Half of them are just thinking that all brown people, all Muslims, and all Arabs are bad, so if you "look like one," you HAVE to be one, and you just don't UNDERSTAND your own ANCESTRY. And it really blows people's minds when I show them that, according to the US Census, Indians are "Asian" and Arabs are "Caucasian." (So contrary to popular belief, Arabs are not "another species."
nonono.gif
)

Speaking of...I almost died when some kid was giving a speech in my one class, and he kept saying India is part of the Middle East. India is part of South Asia; what we describe as "the Middle East" is up and to the left a good bit more. Really, people, look at a map if you're going to do a speech about it!

Wow. People are really ignorant. I don't get how they'd assume punjabi and muslim are the same thing?
There are so many indonesians that are muslim... and blacks.

And I tried explaining that my race would fall under asian too but they don't get that either.
So I don't explain to people where I'm from anymore. I kind of just tell them all I'm american.
smiles.gif

Kragey

Quote:
Wow. People are really ignorant. I don't get how they'd assume punjabi and muslim are the same thing?
There are so many indonesians that are muslim... and blacks.

And I tried explaining that my race would fall under asian too but they don't get that either.
So I don't explain to people where I'm from anymore. I kind of just tell them all I'm american.
smiles.gif

He doesn't even tell them he's Punjabi anymore, he just says "Indian." And they STILL DON'T GET IT! And he's not even a Muslim...his father is a Muslim, but his mother is a Hindu, and he was raised in an agnostic household. He has no accent, a wheaten complexion...it's so strange!

I don't understand how people can't understand "Indian." Even if they aren't sure whether you mean American Indian or actually Indian (and that catches me, too, because I know some people still say "Indian" for "Native American"), I mean, India is a HUGE FREAKING COUNTRY, and everybody in the US knows at least a little about Native Americans. That's elementary school education!

Latest posts