Have you ever feel offended by...

BAMBOOLINA

any movie/comment etc. related to your nationality/culture/race/religion???
if so, let us know in which manner.

I remember I had this friend, he was from Bulgaria and he felt really offended by Borat the movie.. even though Borat was suppossed to be from Kazakhstan, he just felt that probably anyone in the rest of the world would think of eastern europeans as that...

Or like I was saying in the horror movie threat about the Hostel movie, that I found this article:

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Slovakia angered by horror film

SuSana

It's not a movie, but this happened yesterday at work. I'm Mexican, Spanish & Caucasian (I always just say white cause I don't know where that side of my fam is from) but I am really fair (NC15) so people just assume I'm white, which is not a problem to me, but I speak Spanish so it catches people off guard I guess to hear a white girl speak Spanish. Anyways, 2 of my co-workers were talking and one lady said that she calls mixed white & Mexican people "cracker beans" and the other lady laughed so hard. I was so offended. I mean I usually don't get offended by racial comments but this pissed me off. I had to tell them that I thought it was really rude to say that and I was really offended.

Mizz.Yasmine

susana u are me!!! lol except i have medium skin and i suntan to get a lil more color.my eyes are also light and i lighten my hair.

i get called the spanish barbie. or the white girl who has a spanish girls ass and ect.. people were meaner when i was younger though, id get called racist things like a mutt back then, i had alot of probs when i was younger.

aziajs

Not a movie but a tv show. I used to love Family Guy but the more I watch it the more I realize how racist and inappropriate the "humor" is.

brittanymorgan

i am a half hispanic (my mom is from honduras) and half white ( my dad is british). i really dont get offended by humor or any movies, but i do get a little pissed when people just assume your 'mexican' because you have medium skin!! read a book and learn that their are other countries out there that have brown people!! hahah.

also, did any of you mixed girls feel a little out of water in high school? i didnt fit in with the white girls because i didin't have blonde hair, and i didn't fit in with the hispanic girls because i couldnt speak spanish. and i've only dated hispanic guys, and never a white guy. maybe is was my backwards small town i grew up in....
th_dunno.gif

wooo. a little off topic..?

pumpkincat210

In this day and age where all videos and media are easily accessible i try not to get offended by things because i know somewhere out there, there is something i'm bound not to like. I try my hardest not to be offended by racial slurs because they are just words. However it bothers me when it bothers my children.

The one thing I can think of that is annoying is the Girls Gone Wild commercials that come on earlier and earlier. I know that boobs are boobs but I don't want my kids to think that all girls do that and that it's okay. I don't have a problem with topless beaches or anything like that, but the blatant display of sexuality and hedonism that the commercials show is really off turning. My husband is kind of offended in a way too, like girls should be treated more sacredly than that.

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanymorgan
i am a half hispanic (my mom is from honduras) and half white ( my dad is british). i really dont get offended by humor or any movies, but i do get a little pissed when people just assume your 'mexican' because you have medium skin!! read a book and learn that their are other countries out there that have brown people!! hahah.

I have a friend that was from El Salvador and in high school people would call him Mexican, he would get sooooo mad!! He would say not all brown people are Mexican lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanymorgan
also, did any of you mixed girls feel a little out of water in high school? i didnt fit in with the white girls because i didin't have blonde hair, and i didn't fit in with the hispanic girls because i couldnt speak spanish. and i've only dated hispanic guys, and never a white guy. maybe is was my backwards small town i grew up in....
th_dunno.gif

wooo. a little off topic..?

Not in hs but in jr. high. There was this terrible girl that used to talk about me in Spanish, so one day I told her I knew what she was saying and she said, no you don't, you're white so you don't know Spanish! I said yes I do and called her a bruja (a witch) hahaha. After that she left me alone. But in hs mostly all of my friends were Mexican/Hispanic/Latino (however you refer to it) but not for any particular reason. And when people would say things like one white girl in the middle of all the brown they would all say she's half! Now that I think about it, why would anyone care who you hang out with, it's dumb, but that's how hs is. As for dating, I have never dated a white guy either, or my sisters, in fact, both of them married Mexicans.

Another thing I hate is when people use the term 'mutt' I think that is so rude. When someone would call me that I would correct them and say bi-racial. Mutts are dogs.

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
I get offended when people say something is ghetto when it is far from it.

Where have you been?
th_DANCE.gif
I thought I was the only person who felt this way. OMG!!! How can someone call something or someone ghetto and think its ok, people are so ignorant and stupid that it sickens me.
angry.gif
GHETTO used as an adjective is describing something in a negatie way, why don't people understand that and the really sad part is the people thats saying it are from the GHETTO or HOOD. I'm from the GHETTO but I'm not of the GHETTO, and I love where I come from. PLEASE stop using this term to describe things negatively.
nonono.gif
I'm off my soapbox now

BAMBOOLINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSana
I have a friend that was from El Salvador and in high school people would call him Mexican, he would get sooooo mad!! He would say not all brown people are Mexican lol.

I know what you´re saying, I´m peruvian, and some ignorant people think that the only country in latin america is mexico, come on! Peru is a whole different country. lol.

couturesista

Although I'm not Asian, I do get upset when people say someone has chinky eyes or when the refer to the beauty supply store as the Chinese store, or they assume all nail techs are Chinese. I make it habit to ask ( respectfully) what their ethnicity is. My nail tech is from Laos and my local beauty supplier is from Korea. I was raised to ask questions to be educated, not to be ignorant. People fear what they don't know, and they're to afraid sometimes to find out. Great Post!

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
I was raised to ask questions to be educated, not to be ignorant. People fear what they don't know, and they're to afraid sometimes to find out. Great Post!

Very well said. I could not agree more!
goodjob.gif

RaynelleM

I get offended when people call me "coolie" bc where I come from that's an insult. I mean sure I get that they may mistake me for someone of Indian descent from Trinidad or Guyana but when I say that I'm not from there but from India and explain how it has a different meaning to me but they still call me by that name it pisses me off!! My BF's mum loves to do this!

I also don't like how alot of Indian people I meet tell me I have no right to call myself Goan. Umm yeah well seeing as how I am from Goa (state in India, formerly a Portuguese colony), have a lovely long Portuguese last name and am 100% Goan, why not? Goan culture etc. is quite different from the rest of India which I honestly do not identify with and therefore choose to call myself Goan. I just really hate having these arguments with people, esp people from India who should know how culturally diverse the country is!!!

Oh and I totally agree about not calling things "ghetto" ... a lady at my work said my winter jacket was "ghetto" bc it had a hood w/ fur on it!! ... wth???

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[SIZE=2[/B]
Oh and I totally agree about not calling things "ghetto" ... a lady at my work said my winter jacket was "ghetto" bc it had a hood w/ fur on it!! ... wth???[/size]

What is her name and #, we need to have a serious conversation! See, that's what I'm talking about
angry.gif

Why do they have an issue with you saying your GOAN? That's what you are? I'm truly baffled by the nerve of some people. Like, who are you to tell me where I came from.
nonono.gif

Celly

I am half Black and half Samoan. I get offended when people hear that I am half Samoan and automatically assume everyone in my family is fat. I get this one a lot. "who's Samoan" I reply "my mom" then always end up saying something like this, "dang your mom must be BIG huh?" People can be so ignorant. Just because some one is Samoan doesn't automatically mean that person if fat. I have a lot of family member who are over weight and a lot who aren't so stop assuming you make an ASS of yourself.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
What is her name and #, we need to have a serious conversation! See, that's what I'm talking about
angry.gif

Why do they have an issue with you saying your GOAN? That's what you are? I'm truly baffled by the nerve of some people. Like, who are you to tell me where I came from.
nonono.gif

People think ghetto is a black term, true, but it's origins are much older. The term ghetto comes from venice, italy where jewish settlers were sent to live in confinement, this happened since the 1500's. The word ghetto means "foundry". The African-American ghetto didn't turn up until the early 1900's to segregate the blacks. Ghetto's are also prevalent in mainly white inhabited countries of eastern europe.
Still an insulting term though.

RaynelleM

Quote:
angry.gif

nonono.gif

LOL! don't worry I told her off!!

I have no idea what their issue is, well I kinda do but then I would have to go into the whole history and politics of how Goa was "taken" back from Portugal. But funnily enough half the ppl that say this to me weren't even born in India and some have never even been there!!

"who are you to tell me where I came from" ... my thoughts exactly!!!

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
People think ghetto is a black term, true, but it's origins are much older. The term ghetto comes from venice, italy where jewish settlers were sent to live in confinement, this happened since the 1500's. The word ghetto means "foundry". The African-American ghetto didn't turn up until the early 1900's to segregate the blacks. Ghetto's are also prevalent in mainly white inhabited countries of eastern europe.
Still an insulting term though.

I know my history, but Thanks for schooling the uninformed.
thmbup.gif

I also think its the way that different ethnicities are portrayed. Remember, Blackface, very crucial in Black History, and if you look back at the old westerns and silent movies, they portray blacks, asians and indians in a very stereotypical way. People who aren't exposed to different ethnicities, are just doing and saying what they think is correct because that's what they're seeing. Although there is never an excuse for ignorance.

Latest posts