Have you ever feel offended by...

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
BET, BET awards, NAACP, etc. bother me, simply because they're unabashedly, yet wholly excused, racist.

I agree with you about BET
thmbup.gif
, but can you explain the NAACP, I kinda agree (just a bit) But I'll let you explain your view and then I'll see if we're on the same page, I think we are.
winks.gif

pumpkincat210

Quote:
BET, BET awards, NAACP, etc. bother me, simply because they're unabashedly, yet wholly excused, racist.

Yes, they can have a Miss Black America, but if there was a miss white america the shit would hit the fan.
Did you hear about the black contestant from Idaho in miss america that dropped out because of the states name.... I da ho. I thought that was stupid.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
I agree with you about BET
thmbup.gif
, but can you explain the NAACP, I kinda agree (just a bit) But I'll let you explain your view and then I'll see if we're on the same page, I think we are.
winks.gif

If there were a national organization created for the whole purpose of advancing white people, that organization would be considered borderline hate entity.

People are people, regardless of skin tone, foundation range, hair color, ethnicity, breeding, background, or anything else. To speak out against racism and discrimination in one breath, then to perpetuate it in the next is, IMO, the utmost of hypocrisy.

Shimmer

The idea that has swept our country that no one deserves to be offended about anything is just...garrrrr. *angry panda dance*

couturesista

Quote:
The idea that has swept our country that no one deserves to be offended about anything is just...garrrrr. *angry panda dance*

We're on the same Page!!
thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif

Mizz.Yasmine

justin timberlake gets his videos played on BET. i almost can see someday soon they will change the name of the station. latinas like jlo and paula deanda get airtime too. and what about the mixed girls like alicia keys and mariah carey who's videos get tons of plays also?im not even sure why they even call it BET anymore really. its hiphop/r&b/rap music, not ''black'' music, sounds so dumb
ssad.gif

SkylarV217

Quote:

Completely agree!, I don't think any race or religion should be entitled to something that all races or religions are not privileged to. Affirmative action infuriates me. I don't think any one should get a job based upon religion, sex or race. It should be based solely on a persons abilities. Isn't that taking a step back?
th_dunno.gif

couturesista

Quote:
If there were a national organization created for the whole purpose of advancing white people, that organization would be considered borderline hate entity.

People are people, regardless of skin tone, foundation range, hair color, ethnicity, breeding, background, or anything else. To speak out against racism and discrimination in one breath, then to perpetuate it in the next is, IMO, the utmost of hypocrisy.

I agree that having a certain organization for certain races is a bit racist, but when the NAACP was founded there was no such thing as equal justice. Colored people were not treated equal or fairly, so this organization was founded for the advancement of color people. Do I think it was neecded, yes, I do and I still do, just read some of the insults some Spektra members of color has had to endure, and that's in the 21st century. I do however think the way the organization goes about handling things should change as well as their mission statement. It should be to advance unity among all people. The NAACP is open to anyone that wants join, not just colored people, another misconception. Miss Black America was founded because again , back in the day, a WOC could not enter The MISS America Pageant, do I think its neede now, honestly maybe, maybe not, its all how you feel America is treating people of color. I think we have come along way but still have miles to go, again please read some of these racist insults our members have endured and not by random people , but people they're in contact with everyday.

I'm not even going to comment on that affirmative action comment, because I'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings or get all heated, so I'll leave you with this, please do some serious research on the history and foundation of Affirmative action, pros and cons, before you comment again. ( this is not directed towards you SHIMMER) I'm going to stop posting in this thread because, I see its taking a turn, and I'm really not trying to go there.

pratbc

As far as NAACP goes, I do have a few comments to make. Although I do disagree with some of their practices. In theory, I believe the group is a good idea. In fact, I was a member for a few years back in college. Historically minorities have not been given the same rights/privileges in this country as others. Statistics show that this still remains true especially when it comes to education. The NAACP began in an attempt to place all Americans on equal footing, no matter what their descent but was primarily geared towards the African-American community.
My hispanic mother lived in Birmingham, Alabama in the early 60s right at the peak of the civil rights movement and tells stories about how she was so blatantly discriminated against. It's important to remember that not even 50 years ago there was segregation in this country. That wasn't TOO long ago!
That is why I say that I agree with the original goals of the NAACP. I have not really been following up for a few years now, so I cannot comment on its current state.
Just my 2 cents
smiles.gif

pumpkincat210

affirmative action started out well meaning, but I think now it is giving a free ride to those, (not just blacks, but other minorities like women) who don't qualify for the position. I know they want to promote equality, but instead they are causing prejudice and resentment towards those whom it benefits. Is this not prejudice? It also lowers the standards of expected work just to fill a slot eventually setting them and other institutions up for failure. I feel like I am paying for the mistakes my ancestors made over a 100 years ago even though I had nothing to do with their decisions. Instead I think they should put the money toward education of poor areas. This would not only solve the racism issue, but it would push minorities up to the level more equal with wealthier and more educated areas.
It's a tough decision because while i don't think anyone should be left out, i feel the most qualified and those who worked the hardest should be rewarded.

CaseyKezerian

I'm not really offended by this much, but I'm Armenian, and before Kim Kardashian a lot of people just figure Armenians are hairy and have huge noses. Every time I would tell someone I'm Armenian they would say but you're so pretty, umm yah... what does that have to do with me being Armenian?

benzito_714

yeah um i am not sure i would consider BET or the NAACP racist for the reasons described. The channel and the organization are not opposed to caucasian artists or members-i think Madonna was on BET a couple of weeks ago. Now i don't think BET is all that and i think the NAACP has been outdated for some time but now they have a 35 y.o. leader so that may change. i agree with couturesista-this is taking a turn.

Le-Saboteur

Stuff in movies doesn't really affect me, sometimes in documentaries when Maori people from my Iwi specifically are targeted it makes me angry. It's a few dumb kids in gangs... doesn't mean any one from the area is a freaking criminal. I really dislike when all Maori people are portrayed as stupid and as potheads or drunks or whatever.

I hate it when people tell me I can't be Maori because I have pale skin. Say what? A lot of people ask what I am which is cool 'cause I get I look kinda weird- not anything in particular- and when I say 'just random British and Maori' people are like 'no, it must be [Spanish/Greek/Middle Eastern]. Are you serious? Isn't it most likely that I'm part Maori as we're in NEW ZEALAND and I come from a place where the population is 40%+ Maori?

It's so stupid. 'You can't be'... What dicks.

It stinks that everyone refers to the girls in my class as Chinese. One is actually Chinese- I think she's from Yunnan province? One is Malaysian (not Chinese) and the other girl is from S Korea. The girl from Korea can't speak Mandarin... how can you get that mixed up? It's our tutors that do it too :/ Dude I would get so pissed off.

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
affirmative action started out well meaning, but I think now it is giving a free ride to those, (not just blacks, but other minorities like women) who don't qualify for the position. I know they want to promote equality, but instead they are causing prejudice and resentment towards those whom it benefits. Is this not prejudice? It also lowers the standards of expected work just to fill a slot eventually setting them and other institutions up for failure. I feel like I am paying for the mistakes my ancestors made over a 100 years ago even though I had nothing to do with their decisions. Instead I think they should put the money toward education of poor areas. This would not only solve the racism issue, but it would push minorities up to the level more equal with wealthier and more educated areas.
It's a tough decision because while i don't think anyone should be left out, i feel the most qualified and those who worked the hardest should be rewarded.

Very well put , in the end The most qualified person should get the job PERIOD. I have done an extensive amount of research on the subject and I feel the system is in serious need of reform. While it was needed at one point in time, It's doing more harm now than good.

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyKezerian
I'm not really offended by this much, but I'm Armenian, and before Kim Kardashian a lot of people just figure Armenians are hairy and have huge noses. Every time I would tell someone I'm Armenian they would say but you're so pretty, umm yah... what does that have to do with me being Armenian?

It's it funny , or sad depending on how you want to look at it how one prominent figure can change societies view of different groups of people.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
I agree that having a certain organization for certain races is a bit racist, but when the NAACP was founded there was no such thing as equal justice. Colored people were not treated equal or fairly, so this organization was founded for the advancement of color people.

I agree that the original intent was a good one, but the original mission statement has been lost, and the group now perpetuates blatant racism, in my perception.
Quote:
Do I think it was needed, yes, I do and I still do, just read some of the insults some Specktra members of color has had to endure, and that's in the 21st century.

I find it very difficult to believe that openly hateful behaviors have been tolerated on Specktra.net.
Quote:
I can't guarantee that people aren't I do however think the way the organization goes about handling things should change as well as their mission statement. It should be to advance unity among all people. The NAACP is open to anyone that wants join, not just colored people, another misconception.

It should be, but if it were, it wouldn't have the C in CP would it? =/
Quote:
Miss Black America was founded because again , back in the day, a WOC could not enter The MISS America Pageant, do I think its neede now, honestly maybe, maybe not, its all how you feel America is treating people of color. I think we have come along way but still have miles to go, again please read some of these racist insults our members have endured and not by random people , but people they're in contact with everyday.

The thing that always amazes me about people...I just don't understand what's racist about saying "The black woman was standing in front of me before she walked across the street when the Hispanic man driving the car hit her because his caucasian wife was flapping her arms at him." There's nothing racist in that sentence. Descriptors and descriptive statements are not racist. Using someone's skin/ethnicity as a derogatory point about that person IS racist. Saying that person is _____ is a statement of fact. HUGE difference.
Quote:
I'm not even going to comment on that affirmative action comment, because I'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings or get all heated, so I'll leave you with this, please do some serious research on the history and foundation of Affirmative action, pros and cons, before you comment again. ( this is not directed towards you SHIMMER) I'm going to stop posting in this thread because, I see its taking a turn, and I'm really not trying to go there.

AA is another thing that started out alright, but has degenerated in to a non positive part of our world. :/

couturesista

Not hear on spektra from members, but members posted experiences that they have had dealing with race, if I felt Spektra was a racist site or allowed racist comments I wouldn't be a member.

Again, IN THE BEGINNING, the NAACP was for the advancement of color people, now , as in current times, their mission should change of course along with the acronym, I don't know if your trying to be sarcastic or what, but I again I'm not posting after this, clearly, expressing your views seems to be taken for a joke. Somethings and people will never change.

Who said anything about this
th_dunno.gif
but, if I was describing a situation, someones race wouldn't come into play unless it had to. If 2 women were in an accident , I don't see the need to bring up race, unless someone fled the scene and the police needed a description, but just telling a random story about 2 women in an accident, I don't need to know their race, WHAT! Again, it's taking a terrible turn and this is my stop, FOR REAL this time. NAMASTE
thmbup.gif

SkylarV217

back2topic.gif

I'm from the south and I know it's not a race or anything, but I get really annoyed at how it seems like all southern people are painted as MORONS. I know some of the people are like that, but thats not everyone. I feel like Northern people think we run around scraping roadkill of the road to cook and running out back barefoot to pee in out outhouses ....

Then there is the other end of the Southern stereotype... The Steal magnolia big haired full make up southern bell bimbo ...