Have you ever feel offended by...

pat

I've never been personally offended by what I've heard about Filipinos on movies or shows...

I do know that a lot of people were offended by a Desperate House Wives episode when Terry Hatcher read a script saying something about a nurse (?) buying a diploma from the Philippines, or something like that? (I don't watch the show, just heard word of mouth) When I did hear this, I was like "eh whatever..." It doesn't personally bother me because people are entitled to their opinion.. What I can say is that a lot of people are crooked in the Philippines, you can literally buy your way out of a ticket... hahahahah... So "whatever".
smiles.gif

What DOES bother me is when I hear people assume that Filipinos are "dog eaters" I had a classmate in college say to me, "well at least I don't eat dog." Well, he got told off. ;D

I also hate it when I see people on Fear Factor feature the food "balot" which is a egg, but inside is a duck (?), but fully cooked. It just pisses me off because it's another sterotype that Filipinos eat "the egg with the chick in it". No, not ALL Filipinos eat it. I just hate the fact that they use the food, and just show people gagging/crying about it on national t.v. ;/

User93

I'm a mixed girl aswell so i experienced ups and downs with it. I'm glad to see more mixed ladies here really.

First of all, OMG that always surprised me how you call the race "white=caucasian". Cause thats like that in the US i guess, but here, on the other part of the world its not at all. Here there are lots of conflicts between whites AND caucasians. And honestly, races look different for us here. White as we see it is Russian, European = light hair, light eyes etc. Caucasian is Georgia, Armenia, All the caicasian region in general. Caucasian people have fair or medium skin, yet very dark hair, in general, you can easily say if someone is white or caucasian.

Im mixed, Georgian, Spanish, and a little bit of Russian. I look more hispanic or caucasian people say.I never felt anything bad about it myself, what i loved about it that i could easily hang with Russians, caicasian and hispanic people... I could, but still in every company i felt a odd deep inside.

People felt comfortable and settled with me, like i was the same nation, so нерун were sometimes making comments, like russian about caucasians, vise-versa etc, its a big conflict between the races sometimes here. And damn, i felt so odd. I know every nation has its flows, and i cant really defend caucasians when some girls would say "damn, why those caucasian man act so cocky, screaming to you in the street, making comments, hitting on us in such a nasty way - caucasian men suck". YES, thewy do act like jerks sometimes, how can i defend them? But i felt sad hearing it. I hang with different people, no one minds, but another case - in my college there happened some robberies, so they posted photorobots, and all of them happend to be caucasian, so people were calling caucasians names right in front of me, this time i made comments, but yet, was tough for me.

The most sad and tough comment for me was like "you dont even know what's your nationality"\"so, who are you, huh?". Yeah, im mixed, i dont know. My Mom is from Georgia, Dad spanish + some russian relatives from both sides. I dont fucking know. I dont wanna hear people saying I "claim" myself to be spanish/georgian/russian/ polka dotted or whoever. They said, however, "she wants to be spanish/russian/georgian etc..." I dont want nothing. I am who i am. I can make a joke about it now, but it got me so bad when i was a kid. I wish i was at least 50-50 between 2 nations...
I was really very upset with it when i was a kids, kids are very rude, cruel, and hard-hearted sometimes. Was tough, and i still feel worried whenever this "what nationality are you" question arises. Some people take it completely normal, most do. Yet some make me feel so bad :/

spectrolite

I don't think I get offended that easily. A few times a week I get asked which part of Africa or India I come from. Okay, I'm not even partially Indian I just work in a store that sells lots of things from there. I go on to explain that I'm African-American and that leads to more questions like "So are you a mix?" LOL... That one is the best.. I can tell that these people don't mean to be offensive, they are just really curious
smiles.gif

k.a.t

I'm Colombian and the only thing that really gets to me is how some ignorant people assume ALL colombians deal drugs
angry.gif
. Yes. i know colombia is one of the main distributors of cocaine/marijuana but that doesn't mean that everyone from colombia is a drug dealer! I see this in films. t.v shows and a lot of people in my school or who i've come across - ignorants. I've actually been asked if i deal drugs myself! WTF?
th_dunno.gif

ellienellie

Heck yeah... loads of times.

The one that stands out was when I was working for an Asian guy (Pakistani)
and there was this guy with a little girl (she must have been about 4 or 5 years old).
They were standing outside the shop and he whispered into here ear.....

The next minute she came in and came up to the counter and said "You're a black b******"

I could not believe and adult would do that to any child (never mind their own) and another human being.

Disgraceful
I cannot abide racism/bigotry and all things similar.

User93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizz.Yasmine
i get called the spanish barbie. or the white girl who has a spanish girls ass and ect...

Sounds hot & stunning! I wanna see i wanna see
choochoo.gif

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi
First of all, OMG that always surprised me how you call the race "white=caucasian". Cause thats like that in the US i guess, but here, on the other part of the world its not at all. Here there are lots of conflicts between whites AND caucasians. And honestly, races look different for us here. White as we see it is Russian, European = light hair, light eyes etc. Caucasian is Georgia, Armenia, All the caicasian region in general. Caucasian people have fair or medium skin, yet very dark hair, in general, you can easily say if someone is white or caucasian.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing
smiles.gif

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBOOLINA
yeah, how come almost every maid in the movies are latin???

I know! it's like give us a break come on!
th_dunno.gif

monter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBOOLINA
yeah, how come almost every maid in the movies are latin???

Especially because, at least where I'm from, us Poles have the market cornered on maid-dom.
winks.gif

I don't get offended very easily - at least by statements that are genuine curiosity or ignorance on things that are not hurtful. If it was someone saying "oh, of course she didn't do well in that class, she's [insert race here] and therefore stupid"... that's something else entirely. :x

I don't really get offended on my own behalf when it comes to race and stuff, though. I telldumb blonde jokes and I'm blonde. I tell dumb Pole jokes and I'm half Polish. Maybe I just don't notice it happenin to other people around me and I'm blissfully unaware?

I do have a couple of co-workers that are racist (at least towards blacks) which just infuuuuuuriates me. That is when it crosses the line for me, when a person is actually treated differently.

Mizz.Yasmine

I dont think BET is a racist tv station at all, but I do think it sounds dumb calling a group of shows 'Black Entertainment'. But I also do think BET needed to be created, things are just changing now and BET needs to step-up and find some sort of new name that sticks to its roots but doesn't single 1 race out when there's many races of people whose music is played and who watch that channel these days.

I don't know I guess. The title BET just sounds wrong to me lately.

PolyphonicLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanymorgan
i am a half hispanic (my mom is from honduras) and half white ( my dad is british). i really dont get offended by humor or any movies, but i do get a little pissed when people just assume your 'mexican' because you have medium skin!! read a book and learn that their are other countries out there that have brown people!! hahah.

also, did any of you mixed girls feel a little out of water in high school? i didnt fit in with the white girls because i didin't have blonde hair, and i didn't fit in with the hispanic girls because i couldnt speak spanish. and i've only dated hispanic guys, and never a white guy. maybe is was my backwards small town i grew up in....
th_dunno.gif

wooo. a little off topic..?

Man...I'm black, cherokee indian, and white [not sure where that side is from, though]. In junior high and my first 2 years of high school, black girls didnt like me cos I wasn't "black enough," and black guys always thought I was the ugly friend. My white friends would always call me "white girl in a black girl's body," and jokes similar to that. yeah, it was funny the first time - but not the 8635467927634 times afterwards, you jackasses.

But yeah Brittany, right now I'm feeling kinda lost, especially since it seems as if most of my friends have abandoned me.

revinn

I get a little offended if someone makes a crack about Canadians, but usually I can take it in stride.. This year in NYC, I walked by a homeless man selling a nursery rhyme book, and smiled at him. He looked at me like I was trash, and muttered, "f*cking white devils.." I felt like I would throw up! I'm usually much more offended when I hear people making comments about other people, like saying the word "fag" or "that's so gay." When people put down other religions, or religion in general, I get upset as well, even though I'm not religious. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say, "I don't like religious people because they aren't tolerant." Uh, do you REALISE how hypocritical that little statement was? Racial slurs kill me too..someone was making cracks about these Middle Eastern triplets at my school on the bus, and I started to cry..I don't understand how there is still so much hate in this world. I ALWAYS say something when people make derogatory remarks, even if I don't know them.

HeavenLeiBlu

I mean, I'm Black. There's literally a million things to choose from. Where to start? terrorist fist bumping is a start, eh?
noworry.gif
mr5nh5.jpg

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
I mean, I'm Black. There's literally a million things to choose from. Where to start? terrorist fist bumping is a start, eh?
noworry.gif
mr5nh5.jpg

When I heard about that I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Terrorist? Those must have been old people coming to that conclusion.

glamdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celly
I am half Black and half Samoan. I get offended when people hear that I am half Samoan and automatically assume everyone in my family is fat. I get this one a lot. "who's Samoan" I reply "my mom" then always end up saying something like this, "dang your mom must be BIG huh?" People can be so ignorant. Just because some one is Samoan doesn't automatically mean that person if fat. I have a lot of family member who are over weight and a lot who aren't so stop assuming you make an ASS of yourself.

My husbands family is samoan and mostly, i say mostly everyone is big, but there are a few that are actually very thin. Its not right to assume everyone is all the same.

I love samoans most of them are soooo friendly and happy! I have had some bad blood from poly girls before though, just cus Im mexican w/ the samoan last name!

It makes me mad when Mexicans are always associated w/ being cleaning people, or something just low. I also get offended when people assume every mexican is here illegaly, hmmm also when they say that "illegals are stealing jobs" if your dream is to work out in hot sun, long hours, shitty jobs for maybe $5 bucks an hour and no benefits, I pity you truly, if those are the jobs they are "stealing" from you, wow your life sucks.

Anyway dont want to start a huge debate but it does offend me to an extent.

User93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSana
That's interesting, thanks for sharing
smiles.gif

NP, sorry if i sounded boring, i just meant to say that here people have absolutely different vision of white OR caucasian, and because of some politic stuff (they believe Georgia is helping to transfer guns to southerm regions of Russia) it became absolutely incredible, they see all Georgian people as potential terrorists, like the best caucasian people could ever do is sell vegetables or fruits in the street and transfer guns as a weekend hobby. Here slavic people have offensive names for caucasian, kinda "N***a" word for Black in USA.

benzito_714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi
NP, sorry if i sounded boring, i just meant to say that here people have absolutely different vision of white OR caucasian, and because of some politic stuff (they believe Georgia is helping to transfer guns to southerm regions of Russia) it became absolutely incredible, they see all Georgian people as potential terrorists, like the best caucasian people could ever do is sell vegetables or fruits in the street and transfer guns as a weekend hobby. Here slavic people have offensive names for caucasian, kinda "N***a" word for Black in USA.

not boring at all, i thought it was interesting too. its crazy how prejudice is perceived and translated in different parts of the world.

HeavenLeiBlu-oh the terrorist fist bump. what will they come up with next? lol. i saw a video of a woman saying she wouldn't vote for Obama because the amount of black people in Miami for Memorial Day. As if to say if Obama becomes President black folks will be partying in the street for four years non-stop. yeah right!

couturesista

I have some friends who are Phillipino and some who are India. I was really surprise how they too have to deal with the whole, light skinned vs dark skinned issue. The lighter your skin is the more your valued and praised and the darker your skin is the mor eyour looked down on. Its truly sad that this mentality is flooding the world. My sister is light skin and I'm dark skin, she once said to me that she doesn't like light skinned people, WHAT!!!! Have you looked in the mirror lately!! I told her that sounds like self hate to me. Its the same way when people say I don't like dark skin men and their dark skin. It sickens me, I had to literally walk out on my own sister for speaking such ignorance. I don't mind you not finding someone attractive but to generalize a group of people is wrong. I take pride in the fact that God ( or who ever you believe in/ worship or don't) created an array of shades.