Have you ever feel offended by...

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynelleM
LOL! don't worry I told her off!!

I have no idea what their issue is, well I kinda do but then I would have to go into the whole history and politics of how Goa was "taken" back from Portugal. But funnily enough half the ppl that say this to me weren't even born in India and some have never even been there!!

"who are you to tell me where I came from" ... my thoughts exactly!!!

I'll have to research this,
thmbup.gif
hope you don't mind if I pm you if I have questions!

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
crackers are yummy. I like triscuits and saltines and ritz's. lol.

Your
th_LMAO.gif
. See how silly some of these inuendos are.

couturesista

Besides the GHETTO issue, the other thing that makes me angry is when people say, "His/Her hair is NAPPY" It burns me up. What does Nappy mean really, your hair is not nappy, it can be straight, curly, thick, thin, wavy.... but not nappy, again the worst part black people say it all the time like its ok

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
I know my history, but Thanks for schooling the uninformed.
thmbup.gif

I also think its the way that different ethnicities are portrayed. Remember, Blackface, very crucial in Black History, and if you look back at the old westerns and silent movies, the portray blacks, asians and indians in a very stereotypical way. People who aren't exposed to different ethnicities, are just doing and saying what they think is correct because that's what they're seeing. Although there is never an excuse for ignorance.

your welcome, i was surprised myself that it was a very old term.
I'm not really exposed to other ethnicities, but I know that we all share the same goal of living our lives in the way we want to live them, most of us peacefully. I don't really watch old movies because i honestly cannot relate to them(white people included). My great great grandparents had slaves and from what i've heard from my grandma, they weren't treated like slaves, but just people that worked at a house. I don't condone having slaves, its a really sad situation but I'm glad to hear that they weren't abused and had a living quarters that was seperated from the other people in the house(like apartments) and they had heated living quarters in the winter, ample food, and even paychecks. My grandma also told me that at slave auctions my family would try to get the whole family so noone was split up, which would be just horrible. When the civil war ended some of them didn't even want to leave the plantation because they were treated so well and the way they were treated on their own was so bad. My family used to be extremely wealthy, they owned a copper mine, so money was sent back to the south from new mexico. Unfortunately my two great great uncles plundered the fortune and sold the mine to the government for some fast cash. Now i'm just a middle class working american. I have one black relative somewhere in me, you can't tell though because it was so long ago. I have native american in me as well. I'm not offended here, but I get offended when people don't know me assume i'm racist or ignorant because i'm white. Sure I don't know alot about black culture, but i'm not judgemental on a person's skin. Okay off with my story.

couturesista

I applaud you for your honesty and your willingness to educate yourself on this issue. ( DISCLAIMER) I don't want you to get offended or upset at what i'm about to say, Most slaves most likely didn't want to leave the plantation because they had no where to go, most of them couldn't read or write, all they knew was the life of a slave. If they truly was getting a paycheck, good for your ancestors and mine, but that was very rare, most slaves only form of payment was shelter and food( scraps mostly). Most slave owners preferred to keep families together, if you were with your family there's a less likelihood of you escaping. If you were strong and hard working the slavemaster assumed everyone in your family would be too. Again, I'm not trying to offend you, but this is what I've learned and have been taught about my history and the history of slavery. Again I truly applaud you for educating yourself on this issue.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Besides the GHETTO issue, the other thing that makes me angry is when people say, "His/Her hair is NAPPY" It burns me up. What does Nappy mean really, your hair is not nappy, it can be straight, curly, thick, thin, wavy.... but not nappy, again the worst part black people say it all the time like its ok

I didn't know nappy was a black term. we used it all the time in grade school to explain someone's hair that was unwashed, unkempt, etc. It wasn't racial at all. I'd not want my hair to be called nappy.

couturesista

I'm not saying its a black term, its a term alot people ( since you explained, you included) use to describe hair that is not straight or (AFRO like). You just proved my point. Nappy is another termed that I personally don't mind people saying, but its often associated with so called ( bad hair) as ignorant people like to call it, hair that is not of the European persuasian. I don't mind someone saying my hair is nappy, but when you go to the root of the reason someone is saying it, it becomes racist. I love that we're educating each other, Thank You, I really mean that, this is how you resolve issues with race, discussion, dialogue, I love it!

pumpkincat210

Quote:
I applaud you for your honesty and your willingness to educate yourself on this issue. ( DISCLAIMER) I don't want you to get offended or upset at what i'm about to say, Most slaves most likely didn't want to leave the plantation because they had no where to go, most of them couldn't read or write, all they knew was the life of a slave. If they truly was getting a paycheck, good for your ancestors and mine, but that was very rare, most slaves only form of payment was shelter and food( scraps mostly). Most slave owners preferred to keep families together, if you were with your family there's a less likelihood of you escaping. If you were strong and hard working the slavemaster assumed everyone in your family would be too. Again, I'm not trying to offend you, but this is what I've learned and have been taught about my history and the history of slavery. Again I truly applaud you for educating yourself on this issue.

No, you are right, i've heard this before. My family has never been racist, my grandparents included, and they have old pictures of them with their slaves or help as i'd rather call it. i'll have to dig them up but they looked equal to my relatives clothes wise and they were all sitting really still because you know the cameras then had slow shutter speeds. My grandma told me the girls were aloud to sleep in the main house(and no it wasn't for sexual purposes). And anyone was taught to read and write if they wanted to, which from what i understood they jumped at the chance to get any kind of education. From what i understand the black woman that i'm related to was actually treated as an equal and it was true love. I'd love to see a picture of her, but with so many relatives i doubt i'll ever find one if one ever even existed. By no means do i know much about slavery except most were treated extremely bad. They had a plantation but i'm almost positive it wasn't for cotton. I don't think my family would have done it at all, but at the time it was the thing to do i guess.

*Stargazer*

Re: Borat and the like...

Quote:
If you have to explain satire to someone, you might as well give up.

- Barry Humphries

Mizz.Yasmine

U know what movie title kinda bothered me 'White Chicks' and Im half white lol! that had to bother some fully Caucasian girls.

U know a movie called 'Brown Chicks' or 'Black Chicks' would NEVER happen.Did any1 else ever think that?

pratbc

I have had many experiences over the years where I have been offended by what others have said about my ethnicity.
I am 100% Cuban. Both of my parents escaped Communism with only the shirts on their backs and, through A LOT of blood, sweat, and tears managed to become very successful in this country. That being said, many a time when I mention that I am Cuban people say to me "oh, I absolutely love Cuban food, do your parents have a Cuban restaurant?"
Even more ignorant than that is when I am asked whether I floated over here on a raft. I live in South Florida, mind you, where there is a fairly decent sized Cuban population, so you would think people would know better.
I have also been in quite a few social situations where people have used the term sp!c in front of me (not knowing I am hispanic because I am fairer skinned).
There are many more, but those are just a few that pop into my head atm.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizz.Yasmine
U know what movie title kinda bothered me 'White Chicks' and Im half white lol! that had to bother some fully Caucasian girls.

U know a movie called 'Brown Chicks' or 'Black Chicks' would NEVER happen.Did any1 else ever think that?

It didn't bother me, but i thought the movie was hilarious and i really liked it. It didn't bother me as not all white girls are like the ones in the movie, but in a way they are, its kind of confusing. You are right i don't think a black chicks movie would fly, but who knows.

couturesista

That being said, many a time when I mention that I am Cuban people say to me "oh, I absolutely love Cuban food, do your parents have a Cuban restaurant?"
INSANITY!! at its best, where do people come up with this stuff
th_dunno.gif

esmeralda89

Last month i went to a party store to buy a big baloon bouquet for my graduation party, the girl asked rudely what we needed and it surprised me, since i has greated her nicely. I was with my mom, we are mexican so she has her mexican accent but her english is perfect, anyhow the lady looked at us like we were stupid, treated us as if we were stupid ignorants for not knowing the prices when we politely asked her and she kept on rolling her eyes and raising her voice every time i asked her if one of the graduation ballons was available. Then my mom asked for a couple of dark blue ballons and the bitch raised her voice at her and said you have have to pay double for those, by that point i was really upset. Its one thing if some one screams at me but a way different thing if some one bitches at my mom like that. I was just so upset that i wanted to get out of there asap, i felt humiliated!! I thoght she was probably having a bad day but then a white woman asked her the exact same questions we has and she nicely took the time to explain. Also se was supposed to put the balloons in a big plastic trash bag to hold them in place and she didint so we were left to carry the ballons with the wind blowing them everywhere. I was so upset that we just left.
ssad.gif

pumpkincat210

Quote:
That being said, many a time when I mention that I am Cuban people say to me "oh, I absolutely love Cuban food, do your parents have a Cuban restaurant?"
INSANITY!! at its best, where do people come up with this stuff
th_dunno.gif

hahahah! that is funny! I have no idea what cuban food tastes like so you wouldn't hear that from me. I'm trying to think of what people call me other than "white girl". Yes, i'm white you don't have to point it out though, because i know and i'm pretty sure everyone else can tell i'm white too.
I've never gone around and said hey black girl, hey asian girl, that is unnecessary and i'd probably get my ass kicked. And if you are trying to insult me, I don't get it.

couturesista

hmm.gif
hmm.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
hahahah! that is funny! I have no idea what cuban food tastes like so you wouldn't hear that from me. I'm trying to think of what people call me other than "white girl". Yes, i'm white you don't have to point it out though, because i know and i'm pretty sure everyone else can tell i'm white too.
I've never gone around and said hey black girl, hey asian girl, that is unnecessary and i'd probably get my ass kicked. And if you are trying to insult me, I don't get it.

I'm confused about your last statement. I wasn't talking about you, if you think thats what I meant
th_dunno.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizz.Yasmine

BET, BET awards, NAACP, etc. bother me, simply because they're unabashedly, yet wholly excused, racist.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
hmm.gif
hmm.gif

I'm confused about your last statement. I wasn't talking about you, if you think thats what I meant
th_dunno.gif

No i'm not talking about you, just in general, the things people have called me. which has mostly been "white girl". If someone insults me by calling me a white girl (with a bad tone of voice) I don't get the insult. Is that a bad thing?