Help: Can't Open Paint Pot!

*KT*

I had a heck of a time with Nice Vice.

My trick for anything that won't open is to go into the kitchen and get out those rubber cleaning gloves like these: Rubbermaid G300-12 Small Yellow Long Rub Glove

Put those babies on and twist. Just having your grip not slip at all makes a world of difference. If I'm opening a larger object like a jar of jelly, sometimes all I need to do is hold the glove over the lid and twist... but with the tiny paint pots, I have to actually put the gloves on.

Works like a charm and it's something most of us have at home. =)

almmaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Find some of those rubber jar-opening thingys and use one to grip the pot and one to grip the lid. Turn your hands in opposite directions. It might also help to tap the lid on the counter to break the seal. This process worked for me, as I had a heck of a time getting Girl Friendly and Nice Vice to open.

Same here both of those were hard as well to open so I banged them like u said and it didnt work so i kept banging and banging and finally i was able to open them to find out that the inside moved away from the jar so you can see like an openinig between the paint and the pot and both of them got like that. So that sux but atleast I was able to use it
th_DANCE.gif
girl_devil.gif

crawlinginmyweb

I had the same problem with Rollickin' paint pot & Layin' Low paint pot. With Rollickin I tapped the lid on the end of a table and it opened. Layin' Low took a few tries and a day later it opened. I had 4 different people try to open the lid, didn't work. I used rubber gloves, didn't work. I used the rubber jar opener, didn't work. I did immerse it in warm water but it feel that the warmness will change the texture of the paint pot. It kind of did, melted the paint pot a bit. I don't know if it changes the formula (I'm sure you're ok) but I try to avoid melting anything. So just as I was about to give up, at work today I decided I don't care if I break the paint pot glass. It was technically free because MAC Online sent me the wrong paint pot (wanted Nice Vice but ended up with Layin' Low) and let me keep the wrong one. I banged the lid on my carpet at work. It's industrial carpet over cement. Soft so it won't break the glass but hard enough to jossle something loose. And sure enough, I heard/felt a little pop and it opened like it was nothing. I didn't light tap it either. I banged it on the carpet and it opened.

Hope this helps.

Oh and when I opened Layin' Low, because I immersed it in warm water, the paint pot did melt a bit and move the paint around making it un smooth in the pot. The actual paint is fine but it did pull away from the glass part. I hope it doesn't flop out. HAHA

mmitsjojo

^damn im having the same problem as you
ssad.gif

i banged the rollickin' one and it finally opened, but the layin' low one no matter how many times i bang it, it just refuses to open, my mom also ran it in hot water and it still will not open, and i keep banging it on the table, but my moms getting furious with all this banging. i'm about to quit >:[

aaj83

and i thought i was the only one who wasn't strong enough!!
greengrin.gif

i had to beg my hubby to keep on trying!!! poor thing..turned red while trying..but he finally managed after a few grunts...lolz!!

Winthrop44

I first had this problem with Quite Natural from N collection. They know about it on Live Chat too. My husband had to open my last PP for me.

igswonderworld

I had the same problem with Soft Ochre too.. I think whoever is closing those jars at the factory lately, is a big burly man who recently got this job
greengrin.gif

tiramisu

Okay.. I am SO glad I found this thread-- because my Nice Vice p/p arrived just this afternoon by UPS and is still sitting on my dresser, mocking me right now!!
that and the BF is working overtime tonight so no help from him... I just want to play with it!! Sheesh.
Will attempt hot water, rubber bands, smacking the living h*ll out of it and the other suggestions on here LOL

ETA: okay, smacking the pot on the counter in anger and complete frustration worked wonders. LOL
Wee!!

gigglegirl

Its weird that all the new ones seem to do this, I had bought five in the first batches when they were new in Painterly (Artifact, Delft, Greenstroke, Rubenesque, Fresco Rose) and had no issues with any. The two newest ones (Layin Low, Perky) were both bitches. AHHH!

With regards to previous comments--except for the N Collection ones (Soft Ochre and Quite Natural that were not as creamy) I've found these newest ones with Fafi to be far superior in the creaminess department, especially in comparison to Delft and Artifact which I felt weren't so nice to apply. *fingers crossed* MAC's reformulating them to make them creamy for us all!!

jolener

I use rubber gloves to open mine, like the dish washing ones cause they have the grippy parts, but lately, once i buy them i get an MA to open it for me
greengrin.gif
sometimes they can't get it open so they pass it along eachother to open it, and it works
smiles.gif

twilightessence

Nice Vice was hard for me to open but thanks to this thread I knew I just had to bang it on the kitchen counter, which I did, and it opened after that. So thanks, girls LOL.

mreichert

I had the same problem with my Nice Vice!

Thanks so much ladies for your input- I'm going to try them to get my p/p open
smiles.gif

fash10nista

Haha...I am soooo glad I'm not the only one having trouble with the darned things....I tried opening Rollickin', almost threw my wrist out of alignment trying to open it...
ssad.gif

Then tried opening Nice Vice and did it this way: I put it upside down on my palm (glass bottom up), pressed the top up with my palm while twisting the bottom, pushing down...It opened more easily than the first one...or it could've been just a stroke of luck...lol

Susanne

I had the same problem with the Fafi Paint Pots. I hadn't expected this could happen. I had never had problems with Paint Pots before!

clotheswhore

I just got my Nice Vice p/p to open. I struggled with it since yesterday. I ran it under hot water and tapped the lid with the back of a scissor. Nothing. Finally I just kept banging at it against the edge of my bathroom sink counter and it opened just like that.

aaj83

hmm..the weird part is..the nice vice i got...was very frustrating to open..but obviously called my hubby to handle that one..
but i just received my perky paintpot...and it opened in a snap..i didn't have to apply any pressure...i mean...i just twisted and it opened...hmm..weird..do you think i got one which had already been opened before??
ssad.gif

cloudburst

I just run hot tap water over the lid part of the pot, so the plastic expands a bit. It makes it alot easier to open.

NatalieMT

I had the same problem with Rollickin and Perky! Perky was just a bit hard to open but I had to run Rollickin under a hot tap - it's okay though got into it eventually.