Help MAC "Prime Look?"

Kainiki

Ok, I need some help. I have my FOURTH interview with MAC cosmetics thursday and I have already done make up on one model and they want me to do another face. Not only do they want me to do another face they want me to do a "prime look." They asked me if I knew what that was, I said no and they told me to do research. I cannot find it anywhere, nothing on their site. The artists on live chat on MAC's website had not heard of a prime look but thought that it was a face with all the prime makeup components- foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, lipliner and lipstick. Does anyone know for sure?

devin

i believe that a prime look is a monotone look. meaning colors that match the skintone.

galvanizer

Dang, they just told you to research it? Ack!
(congrats for getting this far in the interview, btw!)

I wish I knew what this was though... I've only gone through the first interview but who knows... I may have to do this look one day too!

Starbright211

I went to a class at Nordstrom several months ago and they discussed Prime Looks. I got a little notebook at the class with the looks in it.
They did 3 different ones... don't ask me what makes them a prime look, I don't know... but hopefully this will help you get over the next hurdle.

1. GOLD N'BROWN/IN THE SHADE
CCB
Antiqued Gold
Fresco
Eye Shadow
Brule
Cork
Espresso
Pigment
Rose Gold
Eye Pencil
Cofee
Lashes
#19 Brown
Mascara
Pro Longlash- Burnt Umber
Powder
Set Powder-Peach
Lip Pencil
Stone
Cork
Lipstick
Siss
Bronx
Fresco
Lustreglass
Instant Gold
Beau
Gloss
Sparkle Gold
Guava

This was a beautiful basic brown and gold look, it was so pretty on paper, I think this is the one that they didn't do in class, because they only had 2 models....

2. EROTIC ICONS
Gloss
Violet
Sterling
Pigment
Polished Ivory
Dark Soul
EyeShadow
Symmetry
Patina
Carbon
Eye Kohl
Smolder
Eyebrow
Fling
Stud
Powder
Invisible Set Powder
Lashes
#8 Black
#10 Black
Mascara
Zoomblack
Lip Pencil
Cherry
Redd
Lipstick
Lady Danger
Ruby Woo

This one was kind of a Marilyn Monroe thing... with a fake mole and everything. I am not sure that they used every single thing listed, because it was a class and they were trying to sell pro stuff that the Nordstrom's doesn't usually sell..

Last but not least....
3. CLEAN COMTEMPORANEITY
CCB
Luna
Pearl Shell
Gloss
Clear Pink
Pink Pearl
Pigment
Kitschmas
Violet
Eye Kohl
Fascinating
Icon Eyes
Ola Viola
Powder
Set-Powder-Porcelain
Lipstick
Bubbles
Lovelorn
Plumful
Lustreglass
Lustrewhite
Star Nova

I hope this is not even more confusing and I know that my answer is super long... I just thought to call my MA and she said that you start out with basic color, and build from there... If that makes sense to you since you are going to be doing make-up.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Kainiki

Startbright211- Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This helps tremendously. If you had anotebook that specifically said "prime look" you are more in the know then everybody I have talked to, I even called the MAC counter and asked one of the girls what it was and she said "Oh you know, a basic make up for everyday" I was like yeah, that clears it up
th_rolleye0014.gif

Gloriamgo

Weren't the looks that Starbright described the fall runway looks??? I'm pretty sure they are, i think i actually saved those face charts if you need them, or they might even be on the looks section here... and if the MA said that you start out with a basic color and build from there then i would think that means that you pick one color and keep everything in that color. like for the first look, the basic color is brown, brown e/s, brown lips etc. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how i see it...

Kainiki

Thanks for the good luck vibes. I think I am going to do this, if they let me choose my colors like the MAC chart artist thinks they will, the counter girl I called tonight said I wouldn't get to, so who knows? I am going to stick to to the same side of the color wheel, mostly browns and beiges if they let me choose. Here is my plan based on the stuff Starbright gave me let me know what you guys think (the colors with an * are to add for a nighttime look):
Cream Color Base
Fawntastic*
Bronze
Eye Shadow
Brule
Cork
Espresso*
Pigment
Old Gold
Eye Pencil
Coffee
Black Liquid Liner*
Lashes
#19 Brown
Mascara
Pro Longlash- Burnt Umber
Powder
Set Powder-My Models Tone
Lip Pencil
Cork
Stone*
Lipstick
Siss
Lusterous Mauve*
Lustreglass
Instant Gold
Beau*

Turbokittykat

I think a "prime look" is a basic, full face, every day beauty makeup look. Not high fashion, not wild or wacky, just basic every day beauty makeup with focus on good skin prep etc.

Kainiki

So choosing colors I liked was a moot point, they chose my colors for me again. I did a full basic face that could be worn to work etc. It seemed to go well but who knows? I have my fifth interview with the boss of the counter manager with MAC this weekend. This is after interviewing with Nordstroms HR, the cosmetics manager for Nordstroms, and doing two demos for the MAC counter manager.
smiles.gif

galvanizer

I'm just amazed at the looong process you've gone through! Do you see the same people through them all or is it always different people? I'm hoping to follow your footsteps... :p

Kainiki

The interviews have been with different people, except my make up demos, both of those were for the same person, two different looks. My next interview is supposed to be a phone interview, I have not heard back about when yet though- so here I sit keeping my fingers crossed
lol.gif

lah_knee

i cant believe you had to do TWO makeup demos!!! i mean i know nordies has more interviews normally because you actually have to interview for NORDSTROMS too not just MAC, like at macy's counters and stores. but woww...

Kainiki

I called the MAC counter today to ask when my next interview is. I was told that they would get back to my on Saturday the 19th, I will not have the actual interview on Saturday mind you, they will just get back to me with the phone interview time on Saturday. I had my first interview on October 28th, this has taken almost a month, is that common? I am getting to the point where I want to call Nordy's and tell them any counter is fine because I NEED a job, I wanted to be at work before Thanksgiving, I have bills.

galvanizer

Dang, I feel your pain! MAC is my first choice, hands-down. As it worked out, I'd given my resume to a few different places and I got a job at a different counter, but I'm still focusing on MAC in the long run. Now I work at a counter in the same dept. store as a MAC counter and I'm always longingly looking over there, wishing I were there instead.

Hang in there and focus on your dream... and good luck!!! :p

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainiki
Maybe I suck?
th_confused_new.gif

No, I doubt they'd keep dragging you back as many times if that's what they thought. As others have mentioned I'm sure it's because you have to satisfy both M·A·C and several different folks within Nordstroms too. Good luck!

Kainiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
No, I doubt they'd keep dragging you back as many times if that's what they thought. As others have mentioned I'm sure it's because you have to satisfy both M·A·C and several different folks within Nordstroms too. Good luck!

I hope you are right! Thanks for making me feel better about it
smiles.gif

lah_knee

my friend applied at nordies mac and it took her about month through the whole interview process there! and she was hired... i think nordies just takes longer.

Kainiki

I did not get the MAC position. They told me that they love me and if I could wait until January when they had time to better train me in application then all would be good (I know on this site this will sound kinda shocking but, I don't really wear make up, only about once every 3 months to go out dancing and I just kind of lucked into the MAC interview in the first place because the girls there liked me
lol.gif
so my application skills were kinda lacking), but I have bills and cannot wait until January, so I interviewed for the Origins counter today.