Help with European color codes

SMMY

Deliberate fraud-I can understand why people might assume that though. I ended an auction last week after someone tried to sell me a fake Guerlains product. They swore that it was authentic, til I told them that I had contacted Guerlain about it. The number of frauds and shady sellers on eBay is growing. So cwuer got caught in the crossfire. It's too bad there are so many bad apples that spoil it for the rest of us. cwuer -I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt by this, but even though you may have been unaware of it, you were selling a fake item.
Probably a better approach, instead of scolding this community, would be to educate yourself, so that you and others can't be taken advantage of again. Generally if something sounds too good to be true (cheap MAC prices) then generally it isn't. If you had researched a little bit here or MUA, you could have easily found out that you had unfortunately been sold fakes in Europe. Now you know and won't be duped again. No harm, no foul.
smiles.gif

MissMarley

SMMY said:
. Generally if something sounds too good to be true (cheap MAC prices) then generally it isn't. QUOTE]

boy did i find that out the hard way....just bought a bunch of pigment samples, that i thought were such a great deal on ebay!

...and compared them to other pigments when i got them, and they were fake. blatantly fake.

sorry, that was off-topic.

Corvs Queen

If anyone reads my original post, notice the words in parenthsis. I said "may". I was not pointing a finger just giving my two cents.

SMMY

I know, I've been a member of eBay for several years now and the cosmetics section is the only section I've seen with so much shady auctions (or at least it seems that way to me). Used products sold as new, fakes masquerading as the real thing and sellers that have more aliases than the TV show of the same name. Add to that the number of people who have been swap-lifted lately and you have a community that is very wary of sellers in general, rightfully so.

I think the response was what you could expect given the poor policing of auctions that goes on with eBay. If you want to complain, I'd start with eBay for not being more rigorous about removing fraudulent items from auctions. If the rate of fraud wasn't so bad, people wouldn't be so suspicious of sellers in the first place.

Ambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMY
. Generally if something sounds too good to be true (cheap MAC prices) then generally it isn't.

boy did i find that out the hard way....just bought a bunch of pigment samples, that i thought were such a great deal on ebay!

...and compared them to other pigments when i got them, and they were fake. blatantly fake.

sorry, that was off-topic.

Yup, I bought two fake shadows thinking "wow, $5.50 each, how great is that", ha. Though I found out they were fakes before I even received them, but man did I feel stupid...

Hawkeye

However, Corv's Queen, in your original post even though it says "MAY" you also add that its "It's super fishy in honest opinion" and later on you continue with, "I find it hystarical that the original poster hasn't posted anything else other than this post for this thread. I find it nice to know that there is a community like this out there that really does it's best to keep us informed of fakes and fake sellers. Way to go chicas!"

I understand wanting to be super cautious, but it was uncalled for in many respects. If you look at the original posters first post you can see where it is out of line. At least in your first post you said, " I may be out of line but...." in the later post you didnt mention that you were out of line.

I don't know about pricing, I dont really focus much on ebay anymore so I'm not nearly as skiddish as some girls on here but I think it is important before you start accusing others you should have some good proof before voting your suspicions.

Sorry but thats just me.

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokittykat
Oh, and LOL at the concept of getting MAC cheaper in Europe. I think that's only possible if you live in Australia!

MAC cheaper in Australia?? I wish!!

Corvs Queen

Well, I don't feel that I should have to defend my reasons for being cautious. I am not into internet "fights" and I really don't care what the original poster thinks of my comment. I have every right to think the way I do, as does he/she. I stand by my post and my opinion holds as is. Why the hell else would anyone else want to know colors that "correspond" with the numbered fakes. And if I recall, some other ladies on here agree with me but yet, I am under fire here.

cwuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMY
cwuer -I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt by this, but even though you may have been unaware of it, you were selling a fake item.
Probably a better approach, instead of scolding this community, would be to educate yourself, so that you and others can't be taken advantage of again. Generally if something sounds too good to be true (cheap MAC prices) then generally it isn't. If you had researched a little bit here or MUA, you could have easily found out that you had unfortunately been sold fakes in Europe. Now you know and won't be duped again. No harm, no foul.
smiles.gif

SMMY: Please read my post again. I did NOT sell or even think about selling MAC or any other cosmetics on ebay or any where else for that matter. And yes to educate is to arm yourself, and that is EXACTLY what I was trying to do by asking a question on this forum. I did not have any ulterior motive in asking my question, I was just trying to learn from the folks I thought would surly know, (which they did.) However, when someone is trying to learn there is no need to jump to conclusions or immediately think their inquiry has hidden motives. While I have very little knowledge about MAC, I do sell antiques on Ebay and quite often get asked questions regarding how to tell if something is a genuine antique or a fake (new, reproduction) I am happy to share my knowledge and educate them as to ways to tell the difference. I don't assume the question is linked to their desire to sell a new item on ebay and pass it off as an antique. Freud is everywhere, and yes ebay has made that more apparent than ever. I myself have been victim to that. However, we must not let the dishonest minority cause us to view everyone with suspicion. Most of the folks I have dealt with on ebay are honest, friendly people. And just as in the legal system, I believe one is presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

cwuer

I will explain why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corv's Queen
Well, I don't feel that I should have to defend my reasons for being cautious. I am not into internet "fights" and I really don't care what the original poster thinks of my comment. I have every right to think the way I do, as does he/she. I stand by my post and my opinion holds as is. Why the hell else would anyone else want to know colors that "correspond" with the numbered fakes. And if I recall, some other ladies on here agree with me but yet, I am under fire here.

You probably won't believe this, but I will explain it anyway. The reason I asked the question is because I have come across people selling what I thought was MAC cosmetics and they said the European market uses color codes instead of color names. I did not even know there was such a thing as fake MAC cosmetics, and as gullible as this may sound I believed them. I have the tendency to believe what someone tells me, not to immediately assume I am being lied to. Believing what I was told, and not knowing a lot about the MAC cosmetic line I thought I would be prepared next time by having a color chart in hand. I think the MAC colors are amazing and I would love to buy them all, however I have 3 kids, a dog, cat, and a horse, so cosmetics are way down the line! It may be hard to believe that someone was so stupid as to not have known better, but that is because you are armed with knowledge that I was not. Education always starts with that first question, and this was my jump into educating myself on this product. I did learn quite a bit, however not quite as easily as I had hoped. While I am disappointed that I can't buy MAC at greatly discounted prices on ebay or abroad, I am very happy to have learned to turn the other way when I see a MAC deal that is "Too good to be true." Think about this Corv's Queen.... If I were REALLY a dealer in fake MAC wouldn't I have KNOWN there is no color chart to correspond with the numbers. Since that whole concept is a lie to begin with, why would I be looking for something I knew didn't exist? Also, does it not show my very limited knowledge that I didn't even realize MAC was more expensive overseas? If I were a dealer in fake MAC wouldn't I know something as basic as that? I too am not interested in Internet "fights" and I have no hard feelings toward you for the comments you made. I just would like for you to think a little more about the person on the other end your comments and realize that while they may be ignorant (or uninformed) that does not make them a crook.
th_shake2.gif

SMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwuer
SMMY: Please read my post again. I did NOT sell or even think about selling MAC or any other cosmetics on ebay or any where else for that matter. And yes to educate is to arm yourself, and that is EXACTLY what I was trying to do by asking a question on this forum. I did not have any ulterior motive in asking my question, I was just trying to learn from the folks I thought would surly know, (which they did.) However, when someone is trying to learn there is no need to jump to conclusions or immediately think their inquiry has hidden motives. While I have very little knowledge about MAC, I do sell antiques on Ebay and quite often get asked questions regarding how to tell if something is a genuine antique or a fake (new, reproduction) I am happy to share my knowledge and educate them as to ways to tell the difference. I don't assume the question is linked to their desire to sell a new item on ebay and pass it off as an antique. Freud is everywhere, and yes ebay has made that more apparent than ever. I myself have been victim to that. However, we must not let the dishonest minority cause us to view everyone with suspicion. Most of the folks I have dealt with on ebay are honest, friendly people. And just as in the legal system, I believe one is presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

cwuer: Please read my post again. I didn't accuse you. I said that the state of affairs on eBay, with regards to fraud as far as cosmetics are concerned, is high. You, yourself have said that you aren't familiar with the cosmetics portion of eBay very much. Most of us here are, hence the skepticism with your original post. It's not a criticism of you personally, but a not so subtle comment on the state of affairs with ebay and fraud as it pertains to cosmetics.
If you are really upset about this, my suggestion is to write eBay about it, since they are the responsible party for this mess. If eBay policing was better, less people would be victimized and thus you wouldn't be catching a rash of suspicious murmurs for your initial posts. Which is to say, you are getting upset with the wrong people here. There is a lot of fraud on eBay with cosmetics sales and now that you know that, maybe you will realize that the suspicion was warranted based on members here previous experience. We tend to get ripped off on a regular basis there or simply do not do business there much anymore because of this. It's not a judgement of you, just our experience with eBay.
~ SMMY

Hawkeye

Corv's- your not under fire here. and I actually applaud you for being really cautious, i just dont think it was appropriate to call someone out like that without some proof. I understand it did sound suspicious but again its one of those things.

Latest posts