Hiring Freeze

Bernadette

It's happening country wide and it's not a "staffing project." It's pretty scary but not that surprising in the scheme of things.
iiifugaziii, I am SO shocked that they let you go, I know that you're an amazing artist and had been with the comapny for a long time. What a loss to MAC to not have you.

MissVivaMac

I have heard of MAC artists being laid off recently at Nordstroms because they do not work fully for MAC they are Nordstroms employees paid by Nordstroms from what I understand. One of the girls that was a MAC artist at a Nordstroms came into my work to apply because she said Nordstroms had let a lot of people go from various counters. However, the only reason I could see someone who is an employee of MAC getting laid off is for continually not making goal which is forcing some of the girls to put in their 2 weeks at my counter.

So far... 4 people have quit (90 weekly hours in total) and we havent been able to fill those positions =(

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVivaMac
However, the only reason I could see someone who is an employee of MAC getting laid off is for continually not making goal which is forcing some of the girls to put in their 2 weeks at my counter.=(

Out this way - some of the layoffs have been solely based on seniority. I know the 4 girls in the region next to mine that i mentioned earlier - just went to basic about two weeks ago and didn't have time to even get their numbers yet to ring.

erine1881

the store near me let go 2 girls, and it was based on seniority. hopefully the economy picks up soon, cause i'm scared of being let go too. i only work 15 hours a week, but it's how i pay my bills.

MissVivaMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
Out this way - some of the layoffs have been solely based on seniority. I know the 4 girls in the region next to mine that i mentioned earlier - just went to basic about two weeks ago and didn't have time to even get their numbers yet to ring.

You are in CA right? Were the employees at an actual MAC store? or Nordies? or Macys?

amoona

They were at Macys - a very very large Macy's, the biggest location in our region and the three surrounding regions.

MissMarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
They were at Macys - a very very large Macy's, the biggest location in our region and the three surrounding regions.

Macy's itself is also having a lot of problems- they're cutting down on hours and employees in every counter in our store....it's driven our goals up so much, and we still have to make plan of course- but we have four less people to help us do it.

amoona

It's not just Macy's girl it's retail in general. Internet shopping + horrible economy.

lipshock

Quote:
It's not just Macy's girl it's retail in general. Internet shopping + horrible economy.

Amoona, TALK ABOUT IT, girl!

Seriously, reality check/slap in the face ... haha!

xbrookecorex

My friend worked at a Mac freestanding store.... until this week. She called me and told me her and several of the 20 hour position people got laid off this week. Then I went in tonight to pick some things up and they store was PACKED and they only had 2 people working, I had to wait FOREVER to get helped and it's never been like that. The woman that helped me apologized for the wait and said that Mac is in a crisis, the company's not doing well, they're spending too much and not making enough, etc etc. She said the permenant items that they're sold out of will not be getting reordered or restocked because Mac can't afford to (this was in response to me needing a Painterly). She went on about how they lost some of their best workers, theyre short staffed, and morale is low and the people that got kept don't want to come in because its so depressing and stressful.

Im sad
ssad.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrookecorex
She said the permenant items that they're sold out of will not be getting reordered or restocked because Mac can't afford to (this was in response to me needing a Painterly).

that's weird, cause we just got in 40 boxes of shipment this week.
th_confused_new.gif
th_confused_new.gif

xbrookecorex

I don't know, maybe she meant just that store in particular? When she said they didn't have it I said 'ok Ill just keep checking back' and she was like 'heh, nope, we can't reorder or restock anything until this financial problem is worked out'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
th_confused_new.gif
th_confused_new.gif

erine1881

maybe. that's just strange cause we're still doing our stock concerns. we haven't been told of any holds on ordering or anything.

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
th_confused_new.gif
th_confused_new.gif

well the catch-22 for us is that we got a larger than usual shipment that we can't put up cause we don't have the hours. I wonder what our next shipment will look like.

iiifugaziii

mac has to have product in order to make money. don't worry- i'm sure they won't stop ordering out of stock items (especially because the ones that are out of stock are the top 100 skus.)

GreekChick

I just hope everything will be over soon, and that the goals will become more realistic. I once did a 4 hour shift, on a slow thursday night, and I had to do close to 1000$! That's impossible!
Has anyone else noticed the how the competition between MAC artists ha gotten fiercer? My counter is experiencing this right now, and let me tell you, there's an entire negative atmosphere, almost like a black cloud reigning over us. It sure does not encourage TEAM WORK, which MAC always stresses on.
As someone posted earlier, going to work has become stressful. For the past few months, my heart has been pounding before arriving to the counter. This has never happened to me before, and I've been with the company for a good while.
Everything is so stressful right now, I just pray the problems clear up. We really don't want to lose any other artists.

Sidenote: To all the people waiting to hear back from MAC about a possible hire, the wait will be long. I just don't think MAC will be offering positions anytime soon.

amoona

So today our manager told us we're trying out a "new and fun" style for update. We're going to have a 2 hour meeting on a Sunday before the store opens with the trainers and thats going to be our update. WTF?! And of course I said that's lame and got the look haha.

I'm bitter as all hell because right before all this happened I was promoted to a full timer - which is why I transferred out of my old location in the first place - and because of the freeze my paperwork wasn't able to go through. I have no health insurance MAC! Throw me a freakin bone!

I don't get how I'm supposed to be all excited and continue to rock out at work when I'm desperate for benefits.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
You are lucky then cause we are not allowed to work any additional hours even though there are no freelancers and a few open positions - so imagine hours on end on the floor alone trying to help ALL the angry customers who keep yelling 'are you the only one here?!?!?'

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
So today our manager told us we're trying out a "new and fun" style for update. We're going to have a 2 hour meeting on a Sunday before the store opens with the trainers and thats going to be our update. WTF?! And of course I said that's lame and got the look haha.

I'm bitter as all hell because right before all this happened I was promoted to a full timer - which is why I transferred out of my old location in the first place - and because of the freeze my paperwork wasn't able to go through. I have no health insurance MAC! Throw me a freakin bone!

I don't get how I'm supposed to be all excited and continue to rock out at work when I'm desperate for benefits.

Oh no hun! I'm sorry to hear that *about the full time and no health insurance*

erine1881

Quote:

that's exactly what i was talking about for our update too!!! hopefully we still get to see the products and get update books. it's nice to have my own book cause then i can look things over at home and get to know the product info a little more (the counter book always manages to disappear
th_dunno.gif
).