Home Schooling Your Children

Kimberleigh

Quote:
Her biggest gripe, is not with the students, but with the parents. Who expect the school systems to do 100% of everything with regards to their childs education. Instead of understanding that schooling you child is a job that both the parents and school systems have to be activly involved in. You can't blame the public school system for not properly educating your kid. Especially if your not making sure your kids understand the value of a good education, by getting involved in their schooling and teaching by example.

iagree.gif

Well said.

blueyedlady87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq-i
Oh boy did I ever hear that.
th_rolleye0014.gif
Mostly heard that from public school teacher, who happened to be neighbors/friends' parents/etc... Anyway...

My mom semi-homeschooled me since age 4, but only officially from 1st grade - 12th grade. I have an older sister, and when I was four, she was going to public school. She'd do her homework, and I wanted to be just like her, so I asked my mom to teach me. I ended up reading chapter books and doing double-digit addition/subtraction at the age of four.

I went to public school for kindergarten, at the age of 5. While I enjoyed spending time with my peers, I would finish my projects right away, then had to sit still, quietly, until EVERYONE was finished. Mind you, the teacher was teaching my peers the alphabet, colors, and numbers. Nobody, other than myself, even knew how to count. I was miserable. I was bored. I, like most people-including adults, didn't like sitting in one spot for hours, while doing nothing.

My teacher decided I was suffering from ADHD, and reccomened that my parents drug me up, so that I could sit still and not disrupt her classroom.
hmm.gif
At the same parent-teacher meeting, my parents asked if she could perhaps give me extra homework, more coloring sheets, or something to do, and she said no. They asked her if perhaps there was a way I could be transfered into the next grade, she said "No... Children should be with children of their age." Then my parents asked if there was perhaps a gifted program or something. She said that they had already "filled their hispanic quota" and didn't need anymore.
hmm.gif
She then gave my parents some 'advise' "Don't teach her anymore. Nothing. She knows too much. It's causing problems."

My parents politely left the meeting, and promptly looked up alternatives to that public school. Mind you, we lived on the nice side of town, the school was brand new, it had great ratings, etc etc.

I continued at that school, and finished kindergarten. Now my mom being the way she is, decided that she would not listen to some teacher's advising me to stop learning. Rather, my mom taught me cursive and multiplication.
lol.gif
Anyway, the next fall we began officially homeschooling.

My parents went to homeschool book fairs, and did a lot of research on it. Every US state has different regulations about homeschooling, documentation, etc. My mother went to college, to become a teacher, but changed her mind midway through the program. I think that helped.

Homeschooling was the best thing for me. It was tailored to my "hyperactive" needs. It was nice because I had to do all my schoolwork, but if I was extra interested in something, I could do that as an extra project. I love learning about everything! We went on field trips, studied frogs, collected rocks... Plus if I wanted to do extra school on somedays, I could make my own holidays with no schoolwork!

We joined a homeschool group, which offered so many opportunities. I also joined 4-H, took piano lessons, guitar lessons, robotics club, volunteered, and had a design internship. I graduated early. My ACT scores were high, so I got a pretty nice academic scholarship to my university.

I think homeschooling is fantastic. The only key is giving the kids opportunities to socialize. I don't think 8 hours in a public school are necessary to be social. I also believe that because I used to talk to my parents, and other adults, I have better social skills than many of my peers today. You'd be surprised how many of my college peers don't like to talk to their professors because "they're old" and they don't know what to talk about.

I agree that there were some very very religious homeschool families that I felt uncomfortable around. I was the only Catholic, hispanic, and make-up wearing girl around.
winks.gif
But overall, most were quite welcoming and helpfull.

I wish goodluck to everyone that tries to homeschool. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Well, well said. My issue with public schools is that they take so much time getting the slower kids just 'caught up' to the level they're supposed to be that the smart kids get left behind. School has always bored me because I was never challenged and most teachers will not go out of their way to accomodate 1 student out of 30. It's unfortunate. I would never put my kids in public school. They will either go to homeschool or private school.

Beauty Mark

I don't know your schools were ran, but many schools have classes divided into "levels" starting as young as first grade. You could take a faster paced reading, a slightly slower math, and so on. The same thing continues throughout school. That's how my and many other schools were run and still are run that way.

My school was "inner city" and always had the state on its case for low test scores too, so it isn't like I grew up in the wealthy suburbs.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I don't know your schools were ran, but many schools have classes divided into "levels" starting as young as first grade. You could take a faster paced reading, a slightly slower math, and so on. The same thing continues throughout school. That's how my and many other schools were run and still are run that way.

My school was "inner city" and always had the state on its case for low test scores too, so it isn't like I grew up in the wealthy suburbs.

Exactly. My mom actually teaches some of those slower pace classes for students who have a hard time. And then in the other building, you have the AP classes. Thats at the highschool level.

I know for a fact, in grade school, they had "gates" classes at my school. Which was harder and more advanced for the students who were doing better in school.

I always laugh, becase in my 1st grade gates class, on my first spelling list/test. Where you have to learn how to spell the word, and define the meaning. The word, "Superfluous" was on the list. 1st grade ;p

My Mom though having superfluous on the list was rather superfluous for a 1st grade class lol. But it was gates =p haha.

eighmii

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlady87
Well, well said. My issue with public schools is that they take so much time getting the slower kids just 'caught up' to the level they're supposed to be that the smart kids get left behind. School has always bored me because I was never challenged and most teachers will not go out of their way to accomodate 1 student out of 30. It's unfortunate. I would never put my kids in public school. They will either go to homeschool or private school.

Yeah I agree with the PPs.. Maybe you just live in a small town or something, so if you do I guess this doesn't apply.. But smart kids don't get left behind.. Kids get split up all the time. The gifted kids go do their gifted thing for part of the day. And the intensive kids go do the whole intensive thing for part of the day. Then the "average" kids just stay with the teacher and do normal work.

I grew up in freakin West Virginia (haha) and I remember in my kindergarten class there were 4 of us that could read ( I was one of them
thmbup.gif
) and during part of the day a reading teacher would come in and work with us while the rest of the class did something else.

I wouldnt just rule out public school. There are some really good public schools. And a lot of times kids turn out a lot better people than private school kids. =/ But maybe I'm biased because I work with a couple girls who go to private school.. and theyre the snobbiest, meanest, ungrateful people I know.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighmii
Yeah I agree with the PPs.. Maybe you just live in a small town or something, so if you do I guess this doesn't apply.. But smart kids don't get left behind.. Kids get split up all the time. The gifted kids go do their gifted thing for part of the day. And the intensive kids go do the whole intensive thing for part of the day. Then the "average" kids just stay with the teacher and do normal work.

I grew up in freakin West Virginia (haha) and I remember in my kindergarten class there were 4 of us that could read ( I was one of them
thmbup.gif
) and during part of the day a reading teacher would come in and work with us while the rest of the class did something else.

I wouldnt just rule out public school. There are some really good public schools. And a lot of times kids turn out a lot better people than private school kids. =/ But maybe I'm biased because I work with a couple girls who go to private school.. and theyre the snobbiest, meanest, ungrateful people I know.

What part of WV? Remember, there is a huge diffference between the north and south of the state. I did my undergrad in the north (hint: I have seen a couch burned) and do my graduate work at a university (easy to guess...the only "major" one down here) in the southern part of the state.

I think the formal primary and secondary education systems squash creativity. There seems to be no acknowledgement that kids learn in different ways.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlady87

Private schools are not all they're made out to be. Many teachers are not certified, and they don't have to meet any state minimum standards (at least they don't have to in FL). There are some really good public schools out there. You just have to find them, and if it takes moving somewhere so that your kids can get a good education, then so be it (that's just my 2 cents' worth)...I am not totally opposed to the idea of homeschooling either...depends on how you do it.

eighmii

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut
What part of WV? Remember, there is a huge diffference between the north and south of the state. I did my undergrad in the north (hint: I have seen a couch burned) and do my graduate work at a university (easy to guess...the only "major" one down here) in the southern part of the state.

I think the formal primary and secondary education systems squash creativity. There seems to be no acknowledgement that kids learn in different ways.

I'm from Charleston.. yeah, the "Big City"
lmao.gif
so that might have something to do with it. Now that I think about it my school was an old school for handicapped kids (we had a pool and swim class and everything) that they turned into an elementary school. So that might be why they were so good. Seriously I loved my elementary school. I would almost move back to WV just so my kids could go there. But I'm not that crazy.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
Private schools are not all they're made out to be. Many teachers are not certified, and they don't have to meet any state minimum standards (at least they don't have to in FL). There are some really good public schools out there. You just have to find them, and if it takes moving somewhere so that your kids can get a good education, then so be it (that's just my 2 cents' worth)...I am not totally opposed to the idea of homeschooling either...depends on how you do it.

That doesn't make any sense.
Moving somewhere where there may or may not be a job that would support the family in an area where there's not an established support network?
That's crazy.
Example:
My kids go to a school district right now that as they grow older becomes more and more of a meat grinder. It's not that it's hard, it's just that it's extremely competitive and is the best in our area.
Two of my kids have personality for it.
Two of my kids are going to be eaten alive if they're allowed to continue public education in the high school.
Texas would allow me to xfer the two to any school district in my area, as long as husband or I take them to school in teh a.m. and pick them up in the p.m.
Except...the school district we belong to is the best in the area. And, my other two WILL thrive in it. The two who won't? Well here are my choices:
Send my children to a school notorious for gang fights.
Send my children to a different school, notorious for drug usage.
Send them to ANOTHER different school, notorious for being where the pregnant girls and underperformers are sent.
Send them to another school that is more poverty stricken than any school in the area.
OR ~ we can displace our entire family, move to my hometown area, have my kids (all four of them), go to a district where they will receive a good education. The two who aren't 'traditional' learners/thinkers will receive attention, the two who are going to thrive no matter what are going to be BMOCs.
We can do that.
Of course...to do that is to take my kids away from a stable life with a nice house, swimming pool, big yard, friends they know, conveniences they take for granted, activities they're fond of, and a lifestyle they mostly appreciate for a smaller house, no pool, perhaps not even a real house, while my husband makes a 2.5 hour commute EACH WAY everyday to work a job that will support a family of six. The school district up there? It's fantastic.
The job options? Not so much. We'd be lucky not to be living in a double wide in the middle of the boondocks. The town in question, a fair portion of the population who aren't ranchers (we're not), farmers (we're not), teachers (nope), nurses (sorry), or willing to make a long ass (at least 1 hour each way) commute everyday is on food stamps and Medicaid.

THAT IS NOT THE LIFE I WANT FOR MY CHILDREN.

I don't want my kids growing up like that. I want the opportunities that being here presents. I want my husband at home at a reasonable hour every night, I want him to leave in the a.m. and be able to tell everyone bye, I want my kids to be able to see their dad, I want us to have family time that isn't spent waiting on my husband to come home and have a late dinner.
I want my to have a stable, normal, attentive, involved, positive upbringing that doesn't have one of their parents gone 90% of the time.

So you know what I will do?
I will exercise the other option, and work closely with homeschool groups in my area and homeschool the two who will need a different learning environment, in order to ensure their education.

I'm not willing to leave Texas. I'm not willing to displace my children and family. Simply not going to happen.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Moving somewhere where there may or may not be a job that would support the family in an area where there's not an established support network?
That's crazy.
Example:
My kids go to a school district right now that as they grow older becomes more and more of a meat grinder. It's not that it's hard, it's just that it's extremely competitive and is the best in our area.
Two of my kids are going to be eaten alive if they're allowed to continue public education in the high school.
Texas would allow me to xfer the two to any school district in my area, as long as husband or I take them to school in teh a.m. and pick them up in the p.m.
Except...the school district we belong to is the best in the area. And, my other two WILL thrive in it. The two who won't? Well here are my choices:
Send them to ANOTHER different school, notorious for being where the pregnant girls and underperformers are sent.
Send them to another school that is more poverty stricken than any school in the area.
OR ~ we can displace our entire family, move to my hometown area, have my kids (all four of them), go to a district where they will receive a good education. The two who aren't 'traditional' learners/thinkers will receive attention, the two who are going to thrive no matter what are going to be BMOCs.
We can do that.
Of course...to do that is to take my kids away from a stable life with a nice house, swimming pool, big yard, friends they know, conveniences they take for granted, activities they're fond of, and a lifestyle they mostly appreciate for a smaller house, no pool, perhaps not even a real house, while my husband makes a 2.5 hour commute EACH WAY everyday to work a job that will support a family of six. The school district up there? It's fantastic.
The job options? Not so much. We'd be lucky not to be living in a double wide in the middle of the boondocks. The town in question, a fair portion of the population who aren't ranchers (we're not), farmers (we're not), teachers (nope), nurses (sorry), or willing to make a long ass (at least 1 hour each way) commute everyday is on food stamps and Medicaid.

I don't want my kids growing up like that. I want the opportunities that being here presents. I want my husband at home at a reasonable hour every night, I want him to leave in the a.m. and be able to tell everyone bye, I want my kids to be able to see their dad, I want us to have family time that isn't spent waiting on my husband to come home and have a late dinner.
I want my to have a stable, normal, attentive, involved, positive upbringing that doesn't have one of their parents gone 90% of the time.

I will exercise the other option, and work closely with homeschool groups in my area and homeschool the two who will need a different learning environment, in order to ensure their education.

I'm not willing to leave Texas. I'm not willing to displace my children and family. Simply not going to happen.

never mind this response...see below

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
That's crazy.
Example:
We can do that.

thanks for clarifying your situation. I totally agree 100% with homeschooling your two children that won't do well in your school district. It would be detrimental to them to be placed in a meat grinder type environment where they'll be eaten alive.

kymmilee

i'll tell you that in most cases, home schooling is a GREAT idea. my brother and a friend both home schooled and they both graduated two years early with straight A's.
may i ask how old your child is?
i home schooled my sophomore year of high school and it was an absolutely terrible year for me. 1, because i failed everything except for english and P.E. 2, because i had little to no contact with the outside world, and 3, because my mom had just gone back to work after having a baby, so i was left to take care of a screaming baby and do my school work all day every day. serious stress, social anxiety, and depression lead to self hatred, self injury, and extreme weight loss. i went back to public school the next year, and i had a horrible time making friends and i was basically an outcast that nobody so much as glanced at. thank god for moving away for my senior year, though, which pretty much saved my life [and made me gain a ton of weight
lmao.gif
].
i really think that personality and age plays a HUGE role in deciding whether your child should be home schooled or not.
i know i would have done so much better if my mom had been there to watch my little sister and help me out.
if you do decide to home school, please just make sure he/she gets lots of outside time with other kids.

i hope that helps

Shimmer

One of the things we're going to do with the kids who are homeschooled is have them involved in activities outside the home (music, climbing, theatre, whatever) that doesn't require my or my husband's supervision and 'hovering'.

There's a happy medium somewhere between home school and mainstream education, but finding it is nigh impossible.

Hawkeye

Home schooling- i love it. Personally because many times the parents can advance the child years beyond what the government schools teach.

I hate the government schools with a passion. THey are useless to me. Even private schools are getting there (this coming from a private school alum, and a public school alum).

But it is the best interest of the child to let them be taught. Even though there is going to be bias at least you know it will not be the regurgitation of liberal thoughts that truely are not liberal as much as they are for the common good which translate into the murder of the idea of the individual.

Now regarding the whole no social life or whatever- that's why there are communities and events. I have friends who homeschool all the time, not a big deal. One of my best friends and now local radio DJ was homeschooled but his parents were sure to make them be socially active in the church's, community, etc. It also helped that his dad was quite well known in the state.

When my child grows up, hell yes, I will most certainly homeschool them- because quite frankly, all public schools today do is babysit, make the students watch movies, and then call it an education. They are unaware of many modern philosophers, they know briefly of the sciences- but manly the three states of matter and basic biology, chemistry, and science. They don't have the mathmatical skills unless they use a calculator and as shown here- from my fundamental government schools- i still have a hard time with spelling and grammer.

Don't believe me about the math skills? Go to your local fast food joint and and order something then watch how they count back the change. Then recount the change and see if they actually get it right.

I would much rather my child be pushed and him be someone intelligent versus what government (PUBLIC) schools are doing to children now adays.