How about honest reviews in here?

Shimmer

I think that perhaps people need to really differentiate between what is an intentional 'mishap' (dramatic blush, or smoky eyes AND dramatic lips, for example) that the OP was intentionally shooting for, and what is a real suggestion for improvement.
An example of the latter is perhaps someone's got shaky lines on the liner, making suggestions for brushes or techniques that correct that problem.

Willa

Guys : Don't post your pics for now
I don't want to disobey the rules.

It's still a poll
yes.gif

Skin*Deep

I think it is a good idea....I think we all know the difference between offering advice on technique or color and belittling someone's skills....you know? but, even when criticism is offered with the best intentions, some people don't take it very well....so I think it's brilliant to make a separate thread.

nongoma

lets do it! i have pic ive done where i could do with another person point of view. especially for industry. im in
greengrin.gif

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
I get what you say, but it would be meant for people in the industry

As I said, if you are doing FOTD only for yourself, you could still ask for CC and I would def. give it to anyone who ask for it, as I always do. We just need to change the whole situation a little so people actually leave CC when we ask for it... I don't know
th_dunno.gif

I know, but even when someone asks for CC it's hardly given. But I was trying to say that for people who WANT to be in the industry, this thread will also be a good idea so people that are actually in it, can tell those what can be done to better their skills. That you won't get in the normal FOTD thread ( maybe one or two people will actually say somethine
smiles.gif
)

Juxtapose

I like this idea. Perhaps a good thing to do would be for people posting their FOTDs that want CCs to try to provide some specific areas to comment on, e.g. blending technique, color choices, etc. That way it would give others who are willing to provide helpful feedback some specific things to look for. Being specific on both ends would be very helpful, but it would be also good to state something like, "If you guys see any other things I could improve on besides what I mentioned, go ahead and mention them as well."

Bottom line, I think it's a great idea. It would be extremely helpful for improving techniques, as long as it's all done out of love. lol, that sounds cheesy, but you know what I mean
smiles.gif

Growing Wings

I think this is a fantastic idea. I'm seriously considering trying to get into the industry, but I'm sure there are things that I could improve on. I'd love to know straight up where I'm going wrong. I want to learn from my mistakes!

juicy415

one time i wanted to comment something on somebody's looks but i didnt because i dont want them to feel bad hehe

ShugAvery2001

not sure honesty would be the greatest thing for this particular forum. Alot of times people take it the wrong way seriously.

We've all walked out of the house with bad makeup on. so ... i mean i think that's all apart of the process.

blindpassion

I definitely like this idea.

Especially since I freelance a LOT. It would be helpful to be able to post images here from photoshoots Ive done and have your honest opinions on what I could do better next time.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
not sure honesty would be the greatest thing for this particular forum. Alot of times people take it the wrong way seriously.

We've all walked out of the house with bad makeup on. so ... i mean i think that's all apart of the process.

She's not talking about personal makeup, she's talking about makeup artist portfolio/work critique.

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
She's not talking about personal makeup, she's talking about makeup artist portfolio/work critique.

Gotcha... I'd love that!

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtapose
I like this idea. Perhaps a good thing to do would be for people posting their FOTDs that want CCs to try to provide some specific areas to comment on, e.g. blending technique, color choices, etc. That way it would give others who are willing to provide helpful feedback some specific things to look for. Being specific on both ends would be very helpful, but it would be also good to state something like, "If you guys see any other things I could improve on besides what I mentioned, go ahead and mention them as well."

Bottom line, I think it's a great idea. It would be extremely helpful for improving techniques, as long as it's all done out of love. lol, that sounds cheesy, but you know what I mean
smiles.gif

Totally doable in the current FOTD forum setup, as long as posters remember when requesting CC that the suggestions were requested, and the commentators remember to remain constructive.

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Totally doable in the current FOTD forum setup, as long as posters remember when requesting CC that the suggestions were requested, and the commentators remember to remain constructive.

While I agree it's doable, it doesn't happen. I always ask for critique, I strongly encourage it, but I always get comments like "There's nothing wrong with this look." or "It's perfect, this doesn't need any critique?" (not exactly like these) but I know myself that my looks are nowhere near perfect nor even at the level of some of the really good users. I can't figure out what is wrong sometimes, but I know something is off, but no one will point it out or anything? It's a bit frustrating. And I think this is what Willa is trying to say? That even if you ask for critique in the FOTD section, barely anyone gives any.

Shimmer

Because the overwhelming majority of the time, when someone says "Give me CC", and it's proffered, they *really* didn't want it.

darkishstar

^^That's true. But it would be nice that if those of us that really want it would get it though? I think that's what Willa's trying to get at. But then again, even if there was a separate forum for just the people who want "serious" critique, it would probably be hard to moderate or judge/deem what counts as a "serious" critique.

Willa

What Willa really wanna say is that she'd love a separate forum for those of us who will/work in the industry so we can get better. A forum where everyone could read and take hints from, but where only those of us in the industry could be given advices, and from people who already or will work as a MUA, photog. etc...

In the FOTD, I'm already giving advice/comments when people ask for it
If they can't take the critique, IMO, it's their own problem, I mean by this that you should be able to take comments if you ask for them
thmbup.gif

I really dislike the atmosphere on those forums/blogs where people comments, but in a very mean and angry way, like ''we're in a clique, you can't do anything right, don't even try to get friend with us''. There is no point in this way of functionning that helps someone improve. I wouldnt like to see this attitude here on Specktra. That's why when people in the FOTD section ask for CC, I give them, but in a nice and as professionnal way I can do it.
yes.gif