How do MAC girls get that all over polished look?

Fairybelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
With regards to the foundation q... i find layering and building up my foundation helps to achieve a long-lasting flawless look.

I just wouldnt waste foundation if I didnt have my p&p on, its beautiful and completely and utterly necessary!! One coat of chosen liquid foundation (select) with 190, second layer where its needed more with 187. Concealer undereyes, around mouth and corners of nose (224)and then fix powder on top buffed and blended to perfection with 187.

Touched up with blot powder and studio fix.

This is fantastic advice!! I just bought another P&P SPF 50 yesterday too.
choochoo.gif

meetielovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
I do foundation first but put plent of loose powder around the eye area and dust it away after my eye makeupp is done. That way I can exted shadows beyond the eye. (winged, cat, etc) It's called foundation for a reason.....
but then again, no real rules in makeup.

i was told by a shu ueruma artist to do the same but when i mentioned it to my makeup teacher....the guy that used to run the pro mac store in london told me it only makes the under eye area look dry. so now i do my eye makeup 1st and it looks HOT

vocaltest

How do I stop my foundation from going cakey?
I think my skin has changed recently. I never had a problem with my foundation caking around my nose or 'seperating' as it were, but recently, ugh its horrible! It goes into my pores and I end up with this line around my nose, I hate it! I think it was something to do with my pores, because my skin looks like leather close up, I'm only 20 and I never sit in the sun so its not cuz of that! Help me girls!

Also, whats the best brush to use with Blot Powder? It makes me look ashy!

Simply Elegant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
I think my skin has changed recently. I never had a problem with my foundation caking around my nose or 'seperating' as it were, but recently, ugh its horrible! It goes into my pores and I end up with this line around my nose, I hate it! I think it was something to do with my pores, because my skin looks like leather close up, I'm only 20 and I never sit in the sun so its not cuz of that! Help me girls!

I have to blot before I get too oily and it works fine for me. For me, that's about 8 hours after application and I use paper towel and it works great. Then I use a really big fluffy powder brush and very lightly brush a tiny bit of powder on top and it looks fresh again and not cakey.

emarie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbytes
If you can't find the Sculpt and Shape duo in your shade, a great contour color is Strada, applied with an angled brush. Emote is amazing as well, but that was LE. I also know of a few people who use Cherche (i think that's how it's spelled?) blush creme as well.

Hi all, newbie here!

When it comes to the Sculpt and Shape duo I found that it is a PRO. Can someone who is not a licensed professional buy from a PRO MAC store? I would love to get a lot of things from the PRO line.

Thanks

DirtyPlum

Quote:

1. Exfoliate away any dry skin cells so the foundation and powder dont stick to those areas and look drier. Moisturise well and prime in order for a heavier, more matte foundation (SFF) to glide on your skin rather than sit on top of it and look cakey. Blend, blend and then blend some more with each layer (187 or 182) to make the product work harder and go further.

2. BP - What shade are you wearing? go one up if you have to but it shouldnt look ashy if you are blending it well with the 187. Remember to blot any excess oil off before with some tissue and then apply the blot powder, this will ensure you arent transferring oils across your face or to the compact.

Hold the 187 and the top end of the handle and circle the brush around your face / tzone.

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
1. Exfoliate away any dry skin cells so the foundation and powder dont stick to those areas and look drier. Moisturise well and prime in order for a heavier, more matte foundation (SFF) to glide on your skin rather than sit on top of it and look cakey. Blend, blend and then blend some more with each layer (187 or 182) to make the product work harder and go further.

2. BP - What shade are you wearing? go one up if you have to but it shouldnt look ashy if you are blending it well with the 187. Remember to blot any excess oil off before with some tissue and then apply the blot powder, this will ensure you arent transferring oils across your face or to the compact.

Hold the 187 and the top end of the handle and circle the brush around your face / tzone.

Thing is I do exactly that. I exfoliate every day, I moisturise, I use a primer, I use SFF. It just doesn't wanna stay on my face at all
ssad.gif

I think I wear medium? Or pale medium? is that even a shade? To be honest I don't wear it because it looks so ashy on me! I'll try it with the 187!

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarie59
Hi all, newbie here!

When it comes to the Sculpt and Shape duo I found that it is a PRO. Can someone who is not a licensed professional buy from a PRO MAC store? I would love to get a lot of things from the PRO line.

Thanks

yes you can

sharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarie59
Hi all, newbie here!

Thanks

You can, if you go to a MAC Pro store. You just can't order online, unfortunately.

DirtyPlum

Quote:
Thing is I do exactly that. I exfoliate every day, I moisturise, I use a primer, I use SFF. It just doesn't wanna stay on my face at all
ssad.gif

I think I wear medium? Or pale medium? is that even a shade? To be honest I don't wear it because it looks so ashy on me! I'll try it with the 187!

Sounds like your skin is pretty oily, causing the MU to slip off.
Few things spring to mind / tips for any others on long lasting flawless MU:

-- your moisturiser isn't hydrating enough or oil free? Therefore your skin is producing more oil to compensate and maybe that's what you will need to change?

-- Because you are exfoliating daily (too often, unless its a really really gentle one) you could be removing all the natural oils skin actually needs and therefore your skin starts oiling more and more? limit it to twice weekly and try Dermologica Daily Microfoliant which is gentle enough for every day.

-- Or you are using too much of the P&P or foundation? Make sure you let your moisturiser sink in before applying P&P and wait a minute before applying foundation. One and a half pumps of P&P should be enough and always apply products with brushes to ensure the natural oils from your hands aren't transferred to your face and potentially causing the MU to slip off.

--Erm... otherwise I would recommend cleanse (pref. with oil product) and tone and use Estee lauders Idealist Pore minimiser... that stuff should be made available on the NHS! If all else fails and you don't get on with BP try the oil absorbing sheets or Matte texture or even the oil control lotion on top of your normal moisturiser.

--You could also move down from SFF to Select which is still semi-matte with good buildable coverage but more moisturising. If you want more coverage, it works brilliantly with Studio Fix on top (which has silica, oil absorbing).

I feel your pain!! I went through the exact cycle and finally at a point where I understand my skin and know what suits it. I went from SFF to select/fix, from an oil-free moisturiser to more creamier and have barely touched my BP since!

For a flawless finish, I believe the skin has to do most of the work, the MU should just enhance it. HTH, PM me if you need to know more.

nunu

Quote:

I use the 182 kabuki brush to buff in the pressed blot powder.

AdlersMommy22

So.... lately my foundation has been going splotchey- like, it's just fine for a few hours an then i look in the mirror and my blusher is all streaky and my foundation is blotchy.. like i stuck my head in a pillow and some of it came off and the rest didnt.. What gives??

I use HR foundation- and usually a creameblush.... so im wondering if it's just the blush or something?

I dont use a primer- never have.. but ive never had this problem before either- just recently!

Pinkaura

I have always applied my foundation, etc. after eyeshadow, purely 'cos I hate it when eye shadow glitter/powder falls from the brush and eyes! I didn't get the advice from anywhere, just what I felt would be best lol. I actually thought I was a bit weird for doing it - most people apply foundation first and use tape, fan brushes to wipe away fallout!

DirtyPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22
So.... lately my foundation has been going splotchey- like, it's just fine for a few hours an then i look in the mirror and my blusher is all streaky and my foundation is blotchy.. like i stuck my head in a pillow and some of it came off and the rest didnt.. What gives??

I use HR foundation- and usually a creameblush.... so im wondering if it's just the blush or something?

I dont use a primer- never have.. but ive never had this problem before either- just recently!

Exfoliate your skin to remove any old skin cells and to smooth out your skin. Prime and use brushes to apply everything. Set your foundation with powder and blend it well so its part of your skin rather than sitting on top of it - if u know what im mean.

Sometimes, its just hormonal. I just blame hormones if somethings not right! easy!!!

I actually love love love the Barbie beauty powder that came out when that collection was in stock. I had the Pearl Sunshine Beauty powerd and it just was a staple for me. I cried when it broke but i placed it in an empty container. That powder was awesome to put on my cheeks. I think it always gave me the polished look when i did my MU. I think spraying a little of Fix + and then lightly in a circular motion apply a nice soft shimmered blush,can give you a polished look. Now that doesnt apply if you are going for a matte look. In that case shimmer is not the way to go...

cetati

Question, guys. I've been stippling on my foundation with the 187 and buffing with the same brush, which is what a MAC counter MA told me to do, but I'm not sure exactly where to hold the handle for the best buffing/stippling motions. Any advice?

Simply Elegant

I always hold it close to the ferrule. I'm just used to using my other brushes that way and find that it works well with the 187 too.

BeautyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22

I think you need a different moisturizer. I'm not sure where you live, but if the weather changed (if it's colder outside) you need richer moisturizer.
smiles.gif

I have a question- if anyone would describe/ do a tutorial for different kinds of blush applications I would be grateful forever
greengrin.gif
Especially for brighter blushes like say "Merrily" or "Love thing".

cetati

Also question guys, this is kind of unrelated but I love the 187 but I seem to need to wash it every other day so it doesn't get gunky form my MUFE HD Foundation. Is this normal? It just gets hard to apply after two days..

sherox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocrlox
i think i should use a paint or prep and prime for the eye...that is what i am really lacking. I use brushes for everything...but do u guys ever use sponges like maybe under eyes to wipe away the fallout?

i like the idea of teh loose powder under the eye then wipe it away too :)

I definitely recommend paint pots! Paint pots make life so much better! LOL Painterly and Soft Ochre are great neutral colors and depending what colors I'm using I have to use them! They just make the colors more vibrant.

And about the polished look, I know what you mean! They make my skin look flawless! Like when New View came out and I wanted to try the MSFs, the MUA made my skin look AMAZING and the only thing she put on it was the MSF! But when I put on MSF at home it doesn't come out the same. =[ Any tips anyone? =]