How do we like Nars brushes?

martygreene

I have a number of their brushes, specifically their eye and face brushes. I skip their synthetic brushes, but their natural hair brushes are the softest touch on the skin yet apply beautifully. I've had many a client ask what brushes I use, and have even had a few folk not even realize I've been applying makeup already the brush feels so light on the skin.

Green_eyes

I love my authentic NARS brushes but I got some from ebay that are fakes and mediocre at best. Beware ebay unless you know the seller is selling the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_eyes
I love my authentic NARS brushes but I got some from ebay that are fakes and mediocre at best. Beware ebay unless you know the seller is selling the real thing.

Would it be smart to assume that most who complain about NARS brushes are, in fact, not actually using NARS brushes, but fakes? I hear so many awful things about them, that it's really hard to believe. I'm on the market for an excellent blush brush and thought NARS would be the place to go...

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Behave
anyone uses Nars brushes? I found some pretty cheap ones on ebay, from on of my favorite sellers...

If they're pretty cheap, then I call fake. There's very few authentic NARS brushes on ebay, and the ones that are sell for close to retail.

Kuuipo

The Botan brush is the greates buffing brush ever! Its very soft, dense goat hair. It washes and wears well, and it feels like the top of a cats head. I love to buff a few layers of powder into my skin for a matte finish, and this makes it flawless. Also, it feels so good just to pet this brush!

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
The Botan brush is the greates buffing brush ever! Its very soft, dense goat hair. It washes and wears well, and it feels like the top of a cats head. I love to buff a few layers of powder into my skin for a matte finish, and this makes it flawless. Also, it feels so good just to pet this brush!

True. If I didn't have 2 cats already, I imagine I would sit this on my lap and pet it while I watch TV.

I have heaps of NARS brushes. If anyone wants I can post some reviews.

metal_romantic

Here's a List of NARS Brushes:
(discontinued brushes in italics)

Loose Powder Brush (#1)
Push Eyeliner Brush (#2)
Eye Shader Brush (#3)
Angular Eye Shader Brush (#4)
Brow Shader Brush (#5)
Blush Brush (#6)
Flat Concealer Brush (#7)
Point Concealer Brush (#8)
Liquid Eyeliner Brush (#9)
Lip Brush (or is it a concealer brush?) (#10)
Retractable Lip Brush (#11)
Small Domed Brush (#12)
Large Domed Eye Brush (#13)
Eye Contour Brush (#14)
Smudge Brush (#15)
Wide Contour Brush (#16)
Face Contour Brush (#17)
Foundation Brush (#18)

Bronzing Brush (#19)
Botan Brush (#20)
Ita Brush (#21)
Angled Push Eyeliner (#24)
Bevel Blush (#26)
Yachiyo Brush (#27)
Ita Kabuki Brush (#28)

(I think this is accurate but if not please let me know!)
(I have most of them... I have "collectors" disease... lol)

Here's a youtube video I found about the Ita Kabuki. The sound quality is pretty poor but you may find it useful:
YouTube - Nars Ita Kabuki brush review and demonstration

metal_romantic

Here are my
NARS Brushes reviews, Part One:

#1 Powder
P4969_hero.jpg

This pen super goat haired brush is dense and soft. The head is circular (as seen from above, in comparison to heads that are flat at the front, such as the MAC #150) but small enough (hair length of about 5cm/ 2") not to get squashed and misshapen if put in a brush roll (as is the case with my shu uemura 18R- I have to leave him home to keep him in shape).

#6 Blush

nars6.jpg

The head is the "flattened" kind I spoke of before. It's rather small (hair length of about 3.5cm) which is great is you have delicate features, as I find many blush brushes deposit colour onto too large an area for my face. The pony hair is super soft, and gives a delicate glow which you can blend as you apply.

#19 Bronzer

b9b0_2.JPG

This circular brush made from super goat hair and is super dense. The fibres are strong but still soft on the face. The domed head measures approx. 4cm by 4cm. It is designed for applying bronzer but I also use it for blush when I want a more bold application than #1 will deliver. This is also great for a "pop" of a brighter coloured shade on the apples of the cheeks when you have applied a softer colour under/on the cheekbones (just don't forget to blend well!). The fat cylindrical handle feels great in the hand too and allows for greater control. I haven't seen another like this.

Ita Kabuki
spd_2009020342338_b.jpg

This is the wider and shorter of the two Itas- and my favourite. Perfect for bronzers and dark corrections to the cheekbones, hairline, jaw etc. (just use your imagination!) Try using it to dust a stripe of dark powder under your cheekbones toward your hairline, and then turn the brush parallel to your hairline as you move towards it (then blend until the stripe no longer looks "stripey"!) It is also wonderful for powdered highlighter (such as NARS Albatross). It's the perfect shape for the cheekbones, and you can also run it down the bridge of your nose, and your forehead to add a glow. You could also try it for blush, but I don't use it for this because I already have my preferred brushes for blush application.

Ita
_5294924.jpg

The tall, thin sister. She has the same uses as her twin, the Ita Kabuki, but I prefer her for the chin area. I don't think you really need the pair, but they are such a work of art it is nice to have both if you are able.
The handle picks up shimmer from my hands (picked up from powders!) so easily though. Clean with an oily makeup remover (such as the NARS one).

Yachiyo
53868081-177x150-0-0.jpg

This little one is for defining and highlighting. I like it for blush. The head is small (only 4cm long) and is denser than (and not quite as soft as) the Blush Brush, giving it a heavier and more controlled application. Due to it's small size, you will probably have to use another brush to blend the blush. It could also be used for bronzer, highlighter, and dark corrections. The thin handle, wound with wisteria, certainly gives it a unique character. Hold it close to the head, where the metal ferrule would usually be. You will feel like an artisan using the artisan brushes!

#7 Flat Concealer
P2861_hero.jpg

The flat, domed nylon head (about 1.5cm) is great for applying concealer under the eyes, over larger areas (ie. not for small spots) and for contouring with liquid or cream corrective products (eg. down the sides of the nose).
Firm enough to spread the product, but still soft enough for delicate areas, such as under the eyes, eyelids, etc.
Also comes in handy for cream eyeshadows.

Botan
P214800_hero.jpg

This furry creature is the large, densely packed, and delightfully soft Botan, which means "peony" in Japanese. It's made from super black goat hair. Use with or without translucent powder to buff everything into a natural-looking finish. Even the handle feels luxurious!
After washing, I recommend placing it upside down on a cotton pad with a face washer or towel underneath so the water doesn't seep into the base. Check on it every now and then and replace the wet cotton pad with a dry one.
This is what I mean in case you have a different word for it:
R4_round_cotton_pads_with_bamboo_pattern_cosmetic_cotton_pad.summ.jpg

#11 Retractable Lip
main_lipbrushes.jpg
P8014_hero.jpg

This has a small, flat nylon head in a domed shape typical of small concealer brushes (the kind used for spots). The synthetic fibres are a lot easier to clean lipsticks and sticky glosses from than natural haired brushes. The head may be small, but it covers the lips surprisingly quickly. The hairs are very firm, allowing a very precise and controlled application. I appreciate its retractable design as it can be transported safely in a handbag or beauty case and it won't leave sticky residue in your brush roll either.

metal_romantic

NARS Brushes reviews, Part Two:

#3 Eye Shader
149302.jpg
post-235066-1237277100.jpg

This has quite a large head! It's perfect for applying a wash of colour to the lid. It is made from beautifully soft sable hair and feels lovely on the eyelid. I'm impressed by how dense it is, and it picks up just the right amount of product. I have average-sized eyes, and i imagine this would be wonderful for women with large eyes as you can quickly cover your entire eye area.

#2 Push Eyeliner

P2689_hero.jpg

This is wider than many flat eyeliner brushes, which I find gives a speedier application. It's firm and can create a thin, sharp line with eye shadow (better when used with mixing medium) or cake liner. It has held its shape well after repeated use. It's a bit stained, but not as much as I was expecting it to be.

#4 Angular Eye Shader

P2851_hero.jpg

I just got this one, so I'll have a play with it and post my review soon!

#5 Eye Brow Shader
post-235066-1237277133.jpg

Small, firm, angled badger hair head for application of eye brow powders and waxes. This is probably the best I have tried as the hair is very firm yet not scratchy. The only problem is that the bristles do have a tendency to splay when washed, so my trick is to clip it with a hair clip while it dries to keep it in shape.

#9 Liquid Eyeliner

29188171-177x150-0-0.jpg

This fine brush can also be used for cake liner. I don't use it a lot, but it goes without saying that it is high quality.

#12 Small Domed Eye
post-235066-1237277348.jpg

Certainly a very nice brush for blending small areas, but I find it a touch awkward to use for other applications. I prefer to use the #13 brush for blending. Made from squirrel hair.

#13 Large Domed Eye
P9710_hero.jpg

Like the last brush but with a larger head. It's beautifully soft and excellent for smooth, quick, and easy blending. If you were deciding between the two, I'd recommend this one. They're both made from squirrel hair.

#14 Eye Contour

post-235066-1237277466.jpg

Dense and soft squirrel and goat hair for application of colour in the crease. I use my Inglot one more though as its firmer than this NARS one. I'd recommend the Inglot one (I'll find out the number...) or the MAC 219 pencil brush over this.

#15 Smudge
P40218_hero.jpg
5689_1.JPG

This is a wide, domed brush with a short head made from pony hair. This is the perfect brush for creating a sexy, smudgey line underneath the eyes (and/or above the upper lashes).

#16 Wide Contour
P40220_hero.jpg

I use this to create the perfect rounded shape, quickly and easily. The head (made from 50% pony and 50% squirrel hair) is actually cut flat at the top in a round shape. It picks up the perfect amount of colour for a strong payoff.

Shatt3red

i got a #27 from ebay for my blush. its really cheap and obviously a counterfeit. but i love it so much, that i'm planning to get another to apply albatross.
tong.gif

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatt3red
i got a #27 from ebay for my blush. its really cheap and obviously a counterfeit. but i love it so much, that i'm planning to get another to apply albatross.
tong.gif

Hi, I see you're new.
th_welcomeemoticonsign.gif

They even make fake Yachiyo!?
icon_eek.gif
Is there anything "wrong-looking" (my brain is fried today; I can't think of the right words!) about it? Some fake brushes look like this:
th_crazy.gif

It's such a cute brush. Do you have any others? Feel free to add your reviews
smiles.gif

Instead of buying another one, you could just use some brush cleansing spray (such as the Inglot one, it dries really quickly after you wipe the brush on a paper towel to get the colour out) and then use it again with another product.
winks.gif

Shatt3red

thanks!
smiles.gif

i've only seen the real yachiyo brush once. and it was a year ago, so i have no idea how 'wrong' it looks. haha.

but here's 2 photos of the brush. i think its not as black as the real one though.
IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

it picks on the blush color really well, fall in love with it while trying out over the counter, but its too expensive for me to get. ^^;;

i might try the brush cleansing spray, but i'm kinda lazy so if i could get another #27, i wouldnt mind. :p

metal_romantic

^I'm glad it works well for you.
smiles.gif
How cheap was it if you don't mind me asking? The wisteria wound around the handle on mine is black and the head isn't as "fluffy" as yours.

Thanks for posting pics.

Here's someone's blog, with a pic of how you can apply blush with the Ita that I didn't think of (duh! It's so simple and obvious!):
P A N D A B L U S H*: NARS Ita Brush Review

(I tried to insert the pic here but it wouldn't work!)

Shatt3red

^ around US$17 with shipping.

I hope to get the real one when i can afford to do so. i wanted to try out ita and ita kabuki too, but we didnt have a NARS counter here so its really hard i guess.

CajunFille'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatt3red
^ around US$17 with shipping.

I hope to get the real one when i can afford to do so. i wanted to try out ita and ita kabuki too, but we didnt have a NARS counter here so its really hard i guess.

Darn it...wish I would have been a member on specktra sooner. I sold my Yachiyo about 2 months ago on e-bay for $30. I would have loved for you to have it. The only thing that I hated about it is that it sheads a bit. That is a pet peeve of mine.