How do you afford your MAC??

rockin26

It's a question that often baffles me on here! I understand for our fellow addicts in the US that MAC is quite literally half the price (and I'm dam envious of it too) so I can see how their collections can be as huge as they are. But, we pay the most inflated prices for our beloved MAC and building my collection is taking quite some time, so what I'm wondering is how does everyone afford their collections? What sacrifices have you made for a haul?

My biggest haul to date has been $430 and it hurt for weeks so now I mostly buy here and there unless something really awesome comes out, so I'm curious how everyone else does it?

th_dunno.gif

L1LMAMAJ

I try to save on money (hardly eat out), gas (I take the bus to school) and other stuff here and there. then i spend it all on MAC hahaha! it got really crazy. I should really stop because I'm starting to think, "Okay, eat or buy makeup?" I haven't gotten anything from MAC for a month now and I think I'm doing pretty good. Sucks to be a MAC addict AND a college student.

kdemers1221

I haven't even started a collection but I am totally jealous of those of you who have amazing collections. My first and only mac purchase to date was the 224 from my local CCO. My rent and bills are more important. I'm a college student as well I have to remember to live like one. haha But in the future like after graduation I plan on making up for lost time. haha

loco4mac

I have a great job, but live in CT where it is ridiculously expensive. So I have to cut corners. I shop @ a discount grocery store.My wardrobe is very limited as far as work goes, so now, versus some years ago, I don't spend any money on work clothes. When I am buying clothes its for recreation, and clubbing (think f21). I was at one point a complete train wreck when it comes to budgeting- was like what they say, more money, more problems. I of the crap. I had to buckle down, and prioritize. For many of my MAC purchases now I plan them. When I don't it's a blush, or gloss here or there. I will generally not go near a counter if I know I shouldn't be spending.

darkorchid

Hehehe I afford it by telling my bf to buy me things I have been lemming as presents! But I don't like spending it up even then. I'll research for weeks trying to decide if I really want or need something...and drooling over it.

He is really great about it though. I hate swatching and testing things here (AUS) because I always feel like the MAs don't like it or don't approve :S So now I take him with me and I give him the mission of finding me tissues and cotton buds so he doesn't get all @_@ from all the makeup hehe

PRETTYGIRL26

I would say just buy a little here and there. Don't over do it, and when the holidays come around get friends and family to buy MAC makeup as a gift for you...That was one way get around the high price, it's expensive, I have more makeup then shoes and clothes, Oh well... that's the cost of looking fabulous!

Dorit

Yes, you are right. Its expansive. This is why I sometimes see YouTube / Specktra posts with girls saying "I ONLY got from this collection this l'/g, this e/s and this l/s..." and thinking to myself- this is a lot, not "only". So ya, buying a few items- or 1 item- here and there and also hauling on some cheaper brands (mainly when there are discounts or GWP).

Le-Saboteur

$430! Wow. I'm envious (that's like a good NZ$580 or so... hooo yeah).

I think the most I've spent in one go was NZ$150 (Moistureblend foundation about $70, moisture cover concealer about $40, Vegas Volt l/s $38) and I think it would hurt too much to spend more than that... I'd rather spread it all out. Dropping large amounts of money is like anathema to me haha.

rockin26

My purse is hurting again! $200 on BBR today and I only got 4 e/s and 2 l/g. My mum couldn't believe my 6 little items cost that much!

darkorchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin26
My purse is hurting again! $200 on BBR today and I only got 4 e/s and 2 l/g. My mum couldn't believe my 6 little items cost that much!

Sadly that is the way of MAC in AUS. Oh to be anywhere but here
ssad.gif

redambition

i plan and save.. and sometimes i will set aside a portion of tax return or my yearly bonus to buy MAC.

i also have a separate bank account i put a little money into each month to save for my splurges. if there's money in there, it can be spent. it's my own little slush fund
winks.gif
at the moment it contains money to be used on my car insurance and rego... lol.

darkorchid

^^ Hey that's a pretty good idea
smiles.gif
I have a separate account for my bills and essentials but maybe I should link another one just for mac. A few dollars every now and then
winks.gif

TISH1124

My husband would seriously try to put a down payment on the moon if it keeps me happy, nag free and wife whoring...so he pretty much supports my habit ...I buy a good portion but he pays for most of it... He just likes peace and harmony and he knows MAC provides him with peace and me with harmony ...Poor dude!!! I guess thats that for better or worse part...He knows my MAC endulgence is my worst! But I am pretty set and stocked fully on basics...it's the collections that sucker me in

annegal

I buy one product everytime I get paid, which is every two weeks?? But this has only started happening since January
smiles.gif

pinkvanilla

I've only just started getting into MAC in the past 6 months or so, so I don't have too much of it at the moment. But at the moment I am only buying here or there, I haven't done any major hauls to date
greengrin.gif