How do you keep inventory on your MAC?

YSLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosophy
i keep a purchase diary on Makeupalley - Street Smart Beauty - Homepage
i like it a lot because it shows how much i payed for the product as well as the date of purchase which is pretty useful because i can keep track of when my makeup expires.
my collection is pretty small so i know exactly what i have and what i want. i'm actually looking to find something that i can create my wishlist with. perhaps i'll use excel like the other girls on here...

I forgot about that feature on MUA.

Dahlia_Rayn

I have a spreadsheet in Excel as well! It lists everything by category, I even have a page for my brushes, and has a final page for cost calculations! I typically remember everything I have as well, so I don't need to take the list with me, but it's good to have for insurance purposes, that's why pictures are also very very good!

1165Cheryl

I also do a excel worksheet page in A-Z order and another one with my favorites. Like many said I know by memory which one's I have which is pretty bad since I have so many, lol.

rbella

I don't keep an inventory. I just always run back and dig through everything I own to see if I already purchased something. For the most part it is in my head, but that has screwed me over. I have accidentally bought dupes. Ooops!!

YSLGuy

I started an Excel sheet but need to add my actual onhand items, but I also did a wishlist page, and as I see things I want I add them there.

starangel2383

i would do an Excel spreadsheet of all my makeup, but Excel was one of the only microsoft programs that i truly did not learn that well when i was being taught about the different programs in school.

1165Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by starangel2383
i would do an Excel spreadsheet of all my makeup, but Excel was one of the only microsoft programs that i truly did not learn that well when i was being taught about the different programs in school.

Hi,

Do you know how to work Word Perfect or Mircosoft word? If so that will work also. Thats what I use as my packing slip that shows all of my stock. With the tab key you can do almost the same thing as excel. I keep many different forms for my pigment collections using both excel & word. I hope this helped
thmbup.gif

starangel2383

thanks, i have tried using microsoft word before, but it gets time consuming when i start to think about my entire collection of MAC and non-MAC to inventory

Kiss and Makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by starangel2383
thanks, i have tried using microsoft word before, but it gets time consuming when i start to think about my entire collection of MAC and non-MAC to inventory

It does, doesn't it? The only reason I'm going to do it is in case something happens to my house and I can't pack it (like a fire..one of my irrational fears) so I can go to the insurance company and say "No, see, I really DO have $X,000.00 worth of makeup!"

vtzshedevil

man.... and i thought i was THE FREEEAAAKK....he he he... i use excel too...and keep track of all MAC Makeup/brush/bags/scents too... i also catergorized them and have a seperate sheet for other brand name make up too....and keep track of how much i've spent already...but i hide this from my husband cuz i dont want him to flip. hehehe

mac_addict.gif
mac_addict.gif
mac_addict.gif
mac_addict.gif
mac_addict.gif
mac_addict.gif
:a ddict:
mac_addict.gif
mac_addict.gif

stickles

In my job I work with Excel all the time... so that's what I do with my makeup too...so bear with my extremely detailed list.

I have 5 worksheet tabs:

# 1 is called "Input"
Here I put in all the details I need to know:
Category (Eye, Lip, Face, Cleanser, Skincare, Tools, Nails)
Brand
Product Name (Lipglass, Chromeglass, Beauty Powder Blush etc)
Product Type (Gloss, lipstick, liner, blush etc)
Shade (Blacktrack, Spice etc)
Color family (greens, blues, pinks)
Finish (Veluxe Pearl, Frost etc)
Tone (Warm, Cool, or Neutral)
Collection (Permanent, Discontinued, LE name)
Date of purchase (the month and year, so I can tell what's getting old)
Score (1-5)
Cost
Retail Value (if different from what I paid)
Weight (so I can calculate the value per gram)

I then put an autofilter onto this list, so I can look at all my products that are say Product Type "Blush", or that are Color Family "Blue".

#2 is called Upcoming
Here I put several lists:
Wishlist (item name and cost)
In progress (stuff I have purchased but not yet received)
Upcoming Collections (collection names, dates, and approx how much I plan to spend)
Other (non-MAC stuff I might want to get)
Collection details (the names and descriptions of products coming up in new collections. I grey out the stuff I dont want, and bold the stuff i do)

#3 is called Retired
for the stuff I no longer have, I list the following:
Brand
Product name
B2M (Y/N)
Reason (used up, lost etc)
Date of Purchase/First Usage
Date of "retirement"
Cost
Retail value

This way I know how much stuff I can B2M or how long it takes me to go through a cleansing oil etc.

#4 is called Stats
I track how much I've spent, how much the retail value of my collection is worth, and break down by category. For example, at the moment I've spent:

42% on eye stuff, 13% on Tools, 12% on Lips, 18% on Face, 2% on Skincare, and 4% on Nails.

I also keep monthly line graph of how much I spend (Nov and Feb seem to be my "bad" months :p)

I also keep a area graph of how much I spend by category by month

Last tab #5 is called Pivot
this is where the magic happens... or the OCD. If you dont know how to work a pivot table, it's pretty much a table that you can sort and organize any way you want. Like right now, I can see how many products I purchased from each MAC collection, sorted by popularity (I seem to have bought a lot from Fafi (13) and Strange Hybrid (7)). Or I can see how much I've spent on each brand... 73% on MAC, 3% at the Body Shop, and 1% on Bobbi Brown. Or how many shadows of each finish I've got. I've got 64 Frosts, 21 VPs, 23 Satin, and 9 Lustres. And it goes on and on...

Why? I must be obsessive, but I enjoy updating this list almost as much as using the makeup....
greengrin.gif
Now if I could only harness this skill into better making money as I do spending it.

Sario

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
I keep lists divided into sections i.e. lips, pigments, eyes, etc on my PDA so i always have it with me.

Me too, it works great!

Socialite

I should organize and keep inventory however this may be impossible since my mother shops my stash. I only find out when I find the empty mac boxes in the trash.

NauteeJo

i have all my colours organise in the makeup case by colour families and i have a print out document listing all the stuff i want (i checkit all of the website) which i use when i go to the counter and cross them off as i get tjem

vkk013

I have an organizer drawer, those kind that you use for office document stuff, on my vanity table and I separate them by catagory, lips, cool eye, warm eye, pink blush, non-pink blush, hilighter, powder, cream e/s & cream e/l and samples. Maybe my stock's still small.
smiles.gif

And when I go shopping, I don't know why but I usually know what I already have, so unless I really like the color, rarely I'll get the same thing twice.

My problem is the skin care thing. I stock up on that so many I can't finish them all.

CellyCell

I put it in on my Sidekick phone's notepad so I have the list with me at all times, but I do have the names memorized already (by default. e.i. using them so often).
And I list them just by name and put wether they are Pro or Limited Edition items... nothing complicated.

Lizzie

Ok, so this sort of thing never entered my mind until recently. I used to be at a point where I could keep track of everything in my head...not so much anymore.

I'm definitely going to try the excel thing....stickles, what you've got going sounds AMAZING... the organizing freak in me got a little excited reading what you wrote, lol.

stacylynne

I have a mental of everything I have. Don't ask me how I just do. If 1 thing is out of place or missing, I know.

ticki

i keep a list of my stuff on my crackberry. it's all in alphabetical order and it's separated into sections i.e. lip, eye, blush, etc.

i'm nerdy that way. =)