How many think they can wear any color?

Tahti

I stay away from green/turquoise E/S shades usually, because my skin has pink undertones which they make stand out and I do not like it at allll lol... Plus it makes my eyes look murky...

I can't wear bronzer or any kind of orange/yellow toned foundation/blush on my skin, it looks so so so fake and wrong. Orange toned reds like in lipstick as well, also look terrible on me.

Shadowy Lady

well, I can wear any colour eyeshadows. I have light brown eyes with some green/gold flecks mixed in there so any colour looks good. I have medium cool to neutral skin (NW30) so I can also wear most blushes, if they're too bright I just buff them in.

Where I have problems are lipsticks. I cannot wear yellow based pinks, they just don't flatter me. I've tried many different ones at various counters and all the MA's agreed that when it comes to pink lipsticks, I should stick to the blue based ones. I also have a very hard time with oranges and corals. I still wear my Vegas Volt in the summer but I top it with pink lipgloss.

Ursula

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezybabe89
I find that's it's all a matter of how confident you are with the makeup you are wearing. I think anyone can wear any color, with some blushes being the exception. But I personally am comfortable with wearing anything.

I agree, I think this is a very big part of it. I can't tell you how many women I know who are terrified of red liptstick and the reason is because someone might actually look at them and notice them. It's a big confidence thing in some cases.

However, from what some of you are saying, if you have pink undertones, it seems like that limits your choices more than for those who have yellow undertones.

anita22

I agree with others who have said that confidence and personal taste play a role in what one feels they can pull off. Personally I feel somewhat self-conscious in very bright/bold looks.

For eyes, most colours are OK, though I'm not a fan of sunset colours (red, orange, yellow), olives, and most blues.

For lips, I don't like colours that are too much darker than my actual skintone, since it highlights the fact that my mouth is really small. Bright colours are OK, but for evening only.

kathyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahti
I stay away from green/turquoise E/S shades usually, because my skin has pink undertones which they make stand out and I do not like it at allll lol... Plus it makes my eyes look murky...

I can't wear bronzer or any kind of orange/yellow toned foundation/blush on my skin, it looks so so so fake and wrong. Orange toned reds like in lipstick as well, also look terrible on me.

I'm a bit darker than you, but having cool-toned skin makes bronze and gold tones tricky. A lot of popular eyeshadow and blush shades have a bit of warmth to them, and I'd buy them, not knowing anything about undertones and wind up looking inflamed.

I do like a dark green eyeliner, though. Makes my brown eyes look hazel. Sort of.

LisaOrestea

I think I can pull off most things.

I have bright blue hair so I can handle most bright colours because they kinda look "right" with my hair.

But saying that, I can do dark colours too, I just look a bit more gothic when I do that.

And everyone can pull off neutrals.

The only thing I wouldn't wear is pastel eyeshadows. I just don't really like the way they look.

GoldenFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaOrestea

I have bright blue hair so I can handle most bright colours because they kinda look "right" with my hair.

But saying that, I can do dark colours too, I just look a bit more gothic when I do that.

The only thing I wouldn't wear is pastel eyeshadows. I just don't really like the way they look.

Not a fan of pastel shadows either!
nope.gif

DILLIGAF

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenFairy
Not a fan of pastel shadows either!
nope.gif

I will be the 3rd to piggyback on this statement
Makes me look ashy

Ursula

Quote:

I agree, pastels bore me, personally, though I use them sometimes.

Love your blue hair. Always wanted to try teal but my DH would be horrified. LOL Did Red for a while, true red, not orange and I really loved that.

Caderas

I have a really pale-olive skin (NC-15/20) and I haven't found problems with much color. my eyes are a grey color, so pink tends to look a bit strange.. but I can definitely work with it. personally, I believe anyone can pull off ANYTHING as long as their willing to work with it a little and see what fits where!

stronqerx

I am an nc20 during the winter nc25 during the summer (if i am lucky enough to catch a tan). I think I look good in pretty much any color, except blues. Some one else said that it makes their eyes red, and the same thing happenes to me. Also idk why I feel it looks too bold on me, and not in a good way.

Ursula

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronqerx
I am an nc20 during the winter nc25 during the summer (if i am lucky enough to catch a tan). I think I look good in pretty much any color, except blues. Some one else said that it makes their eyes red, and the same thing happenes to me. Also idk why I feel it looks too bold on me, and not in a good way.

Yeah, I can wear blue, but it is tricky to get it right. I think blue gets OD'd pretty often so we're sensative to avoiding that? You know in the sixties and seventies everyone had a pound of a single color of blue eye shadow all over there antire eye socket and it just didn't look good. Now we want to use it but have that image in our heads. At least that's true for me, maybe alot of you are younger and don't remember those days. LOL

Modmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronqerx

I feel the exact same way. I'm an NC20 as well, with blonde hair and blue eyes and I can't wear blue shadow. I can use blue as a liner, but that's pretty much it. I think I can wear pretty much anything else.

kathyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyp
I'm just the opposite: most things that are supposed to be universally flattering (orgasm, et al.) look garish on me. But colors that no one else seems to like, I can pull off. (I'm that person who actually bought Nico lipgloss -- more than once. And Jungle Juice.) Lavenders, mauves and bluish-pinks look good on me, especially when my hair is dark-to-black brown.

Since I wrote that post I've been experimenting with different colors and have found that I can wear more than I thought I could. Imagine that.

I changed my haircolor to a warmer auburn from a burgundy one and realized I probably have more warmth in my skin than I thought. I look much better with warmer-toned hair, even though I have pale, peachy-pink skin (and lots of surface redness which has calmed down some lately). Weirdly enough, Fleur Power looks good on me while Orgasm doesn't, though they're both in the coral family. (I think I just have an aversion to shimmery blush regardless of color.)

The red is fun but a bitch to maintain. I'm taking it back to my natural, medium golden brown pretty soon.

I picked up Color Me Confident at the library the other day. I'm not really into "color theory" or seasons, as most people don't fall into one nice, neat category anyway, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. I like that it does allow for some overlap, rather than blanket statements like, "Oh you're an autumn, so you can never, ever, ever wear pink. Ever." My mom had the original Color Me Beautiful in the 80s. I never fit into any season. Anyway, according to this book, I figure my dominant characteristic is clear and contrasty, rather than absolutely cool or warm. Bright, clear colors work best on me, both cool and warm.

LMD84

i also thinkn i can wear any colour... the only thing i have ever had an issue with was myth lipstick by mac that made me look dead! and also when i wear pink eye colours i tend to go for hot pink rather than pale pink
smiles.gif

Dollfaced

I'm medium olive!
I can wear any shadow color except for gold or yellow.
As for lips, I can wear anything as long as its not extremely blue based or warm.
I guess I can wear any shade of blush as well, I just gotta be a little careful with appling some blushes.

Latest posts