How thin is thin?

user2

OK I found this picture on vogue.com and I cant believe how thin she is!
I just want her to come to my place and to feed her with extra greasy stuff!!!!

MDpopupimage3_1_3.jpg

roxybc

Meh, I think that's pretty usual for a model these days. I hate to say it, but when I'm watching America's next top model, and Fashion Television and I see Tyra Banks, I think she looks more like a plus sized model now. She's soo much bigger than all the other girls, mainly cuz she has way bigger boobs and hips.

Shawna

Sad, but true. If you watch Desperate Housewives at all, check out Teri Hatcher's legs. Whoa, we're talking chopsticks. I don't know how they support the rest of her body.........

Lolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc
Meh, I think that's pretty usual for a model these days. I hate to say it, but when I'm watching America's next top model, and Fashion Television and I see Tyra Banks, I think she looks more like a plus sized model now. She's soo much bigger than all the other girls, mainly cuz she has way bigger boobs and hips.

I totally agree, I mean, shes not fat by any means... shes just... a little bit *squishier* looking than all the other models. However, I'm totally happy that shes bigger and still finds work.
http://www.specktra.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=938

I'm rather suprised this picture found its way onto the victorias secret website. Its just bad. I'm sure if this was ANTM she would be eliminated :p

Juneplum

whoooooaaaaaa... daaaammmmmnnn!
icon_eek.gif
and she ripped keenyah this week on antm for her belly flab!!! golleeeee!!! damn she needs to practice what she preaches!! ( i still love her tho) and i don't think she's fat AT ALL!

Chelsea

wow that pic IS bad. the pic of the model.. she is a BIT thin but models are usually long, thin, and waifish.

lemurian

High fashion models are always super-thin, simply because the clothes look better on them. I don't think the fashion industry is trying to make a statement about how everyone should look, and being critical of those super-skinny girls is just as silly as being critical of NBA players because they're really, really tall. It's just a pre-requisite for that particular field! Come on.. it's no less rude to be mean to skinny girls than it is to be mean to fat girls (like poor Tyra).

user2

But I think its really sad to say that girls with a 38/40 are plus sized....

roxybc

Quote:
I'm rather suprised this picture found its way onto the victorias secret website. Its just bad. I'm sure if this was ANTM she would be eliminated

LOL!! That is a pretty BAD picture!

"Your arm looks like it's amputated!" :In Tyra Voice:

Have you guys seen Nicole Ritchie lately?? She onlyweighs 97 pounds. Honestly, I think she looks really good, but I'm partial to the stick thin look. What really bugs me is that the magazines are saying she only lost 15 punds! I really doubt that! She was pretty pudgy on the first Simple Life. She lost more like 30-40 pounds in my opinion.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
Come on.. it's no less rude to be mean to skinny girls than it is to be mean to fat girls (like poor Tyra).

Are you kidding me? You think Tyra Banks is fat?

/wanders off to ponder on societies definitions of thin & fat

jasper17

Tyra looks healthy whereas the other model does not.

Our society is seriously messed up in terms of fat/ thin and healthy/ unhealthy.

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
Come on.. it's no less rude to be mean to skinny girls than it is to be mean to fat girls (like poor Tyra).

Are you kidding me? You think Tyra Banks is fat?

/wanders off to ponder on societies definitions of thin & fat

No, in fact I'm trying to use the posts in this very thread to illustrate my point!
greengrin.gif
She's totally not fat, and here we have girls saying "OMG, she looks terrible!", when she's clearly hot. I'd also say that the extremely thin model above is attractive, but these are just my opinions obviously.

I think you're right that I didn't quite make it clear what I was getting at.. as I read what I wrote now, it certainly does make it seem like I think Tyra is fat (but I don't!). Frankly, if Tyra is fat, I'm obese
th_wink3.gif

Onederland

Well thats thin for an average person. But average for a supermodel.

The average runway model is 110 lbs and 5'10", with a BMI of 17. Average is 19.

Tyra banks has gotten FAT for a Supermodel, but for regular people like us, shes average.

But its like she said on ANTM, shes paid her dues, and done years being skinny, but now shes famous and earned her place in the business, she can be fat, because the photo-retouchers will take care of it.

mac_obsession

I think that first model...well just can we say anorexic/bulemic or crack-head?

Tyra banks is I think so effin beautiful. Shes one IMHO of the most beautiful people alive...

Lolita

Just to clarify, because I was the one who posted the Tyra picture... I dont think shes fat at all, and I wasnt trying to be rude and "make fun" of Tyra OR the waif! I really appriciate the fact that Tyra has a more normal/everyday body than the girl in the first picture, and is still out there modeling underwear. Both girls are gorgeous and have their own place in the fashion industry.

I still think the picture is bad and totally unflattering on many levels, not just because shes a "bigger" supermodel. Sorry, but it definitley needs some retouching. The bra doesnt even look like it fits properly.

The picture raises an interesting question though. Why does Tyra have so much staying power despite losing her supermodel-esque figure, compared to other supermodels of the same time?

martygreene

Fashion models are required to be size 0-2 Tall for a few reasons. One of the main reasons being that there is the least amount of body-shape variation on people of this size. Models and clothing generally do not come together for a runway show until a day or two before the show, often not until the day of. There is no time to be altering all the garments to fit the various curves of the models at this point.

The other main reason is that fashion is best shown when the fabric can drape upon the form, which is how it is contstructed, rather than being tight fitting. When fabric is draped over a normal sized or larger individual, at the angle which the garmets are often viewed, the garment quickly ends up looking very tent-like, or you begin to focus more on what the garment looks like ON the wearer as opposed to the garment in and of itself.

As a costuming and fashion designer myself, I have become very aware of this. I cannot showcase my own designs well, as I am much too curvy to give the garment its due.

mspixieears

I'm glad Tyra is the size she is and gets work. Unfortunately, the pic of the model in question looks fairly 'normal' for that type of thing. It doesn't look nice, though.

Loving people's ANTM-esque comments! It's true, Tyra would get canned for that pic, they've been harsh over better pics than that...