How thin is thin?

Sanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolita
I totally agree, I mean, shes not fat by any means... shes just... a little bit *squishier* looking than all the other models

she's bootylicious!

singinmys0ng

I agree with Marty..models HAVE to look like to be able to wear those clothes on the runway. And she may even seem to skinny but most of the time some of those models are just that way to begin with! I have a friend who you would think is anorocix and looks it..but she eats ALL the time..its crazy! And Tyra..i think she will always look beautiful..no matter if she loses 10 pounds or gains some!

banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea
most models are actually a size 4 these days.

I don't know I'm a size 4 and I'm 130 lbs and only 5'8.5". There is no way those girls are the same size as me. Though sometimes I have to wear size 6 pants depending on the brand.
th_confused_new.gif

Shawna

Yeah, I'm a size 2 or 4 depending on the brand and I am 130lbs and 5'6. There is just no way those models are a size 4.........more like a 0.

user2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
Yeah, I'm a size 2 or 4 depending on the brand and I am 130lbs and 5'6. There is just no way those models are a size 4.........more like a 0.

Or maybe a -4
smiles.gif

nphernetton

Quote:
Originally Posted by singinmys0ng
I agree with Marty..models HAVE to look like to be able to wear those clothes on the runway. And she may even seem to skinny but most of the time some of those models are just that way to begin with! I have a friend who you would think is anorocix and looks it..but she eats ALL the time..its crazy! And Tyra..i think she will always look beautiful..no matter if she loses 10 pounds or gains some!

I'm with singinmysong on this one...I'm all of 5'4, just at 95lbs, a size 0...I may be tiny, but its in my genetics, women in my family are all small. Because that is what's natural for me, I dont look sickly or anorexic, I eat all the time, I can out-eat most people, thats for sure...

I am not denying that some models probably are sick, taking their weight to the extreme...but not all, infact probably not most...I say power to the skinny people.

On a slightly related subject [slight rant], it's always irked me when someone, small, average, or slightly more curvacious, comes up to a very thin person and says "omg, you are soooo skinny". Typically when people have said that to me its because they are thinking "wow is that healthy" and its said in a more insulting way than anything. Would you go up to a person who weights a completely unreasonable weight, like...I dont know, 600, and say "omg, you are SO fat"? No. It's rude. So why is it ok to do the same thing to someone that you think is TOO skinny? Because being skinny is more acceptable? Ok, sure, thats fine if you arent saying "wow, gain some weight" in an insulting way...arg [/rant]

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphernetton
On a slightly related subject [slight rant], it's always irked me when someone, small, average, or slightly more curvacious, comes up to a very thin person and says "omg, you are soooo skinny". Typically when people have said that to me its because they are thinking "wow is that healthy" and its said in a more insulting way than anything. Would you go up to a person who weights a completely unreasonable weight, like...I dont know, 600, and say "omg, you are SO fat"? No. It's rude. So why is it ok to do the same thing to someone that you think is TOO skinny? Because being skinny is more acceptable? Ok, sure, thats fine if you arent saying "wow, gain some weight" in an insulting way...arg [/rant]

Well said!

As far as model sizes go, the absolute CUT OFF point for a runway model is a size 4. The sample sizes that the girls have to fit into range from 0-4, and are generally on the smaller side. Keep in mind that most of these models are around 5'10" (at least). Yes, they are very, very small but it doesn't mean that they're not healthy or sexy or whatever. I do concede that some models have eating disorders and drug problems, because the pressure to *maintain* their super-sleek frame is overwhelming. But I think most of the girls are naturally tiny to begin with..

If you'd like to see someone who is OBVIOUSLY sick and way too thin, look up pics of Donatella Versace's daugher Allegra. Have a bucket nearby :| And some tissues if you're sensitive to extremely dysfunctional mother-daugher relationships...

Shawna

I'm not saying it's bad to be thin, I mean I am thin, but I eat like a horse too. And it is frustrating when people think I don't eat b/c I am thin. ( I write this as I am wolfing down a heaping bowl of KD) I hate the "you're not puking up your food are you" line. Classic people. Come on, I don't accuse you of scarfing back 10 big macs cause you are bigger than me do I?? I am a big advocate of all the thin healthy people out there. We do exist. It's just that the camera is supposed to add weight, these girls are soooooo thin looking and I don't see how they could be the same size as me. Maybe I just think I am bigger than I look or something.............I can definitely understand them being a size 0, maybe a small 2, but Chelsea is right, the websites say some of them go up to a size 6. I just don't see how they are size 6. Oh well. Maybe they just look smaller b/c they are wayyyyy taller than me and they look stretched out?
lol.gif

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea
check out fordmodels.com... most of the girls are 2-6

Not all Ford Models can do high fashion/runway work
th_wink3.gif
I don't even know why we're arguing about this, my point is that the girl in the first pic in this topic is not exceptional in her thinness. And if you were to compare girls in a, say, a men's magazine to girls modelling Yves St. Laurent in Paris, you'd notice quite a bit of a difference! Those very different girls can belong to the same agency.

GoldieLox

Quote:

WoW, I couldnt have said it better!!!! I am 5'3 and weigh about 95lbs and i wear a size 00 to a 0. I cannot stand when people say things like that to me. it actually makes me feel badly like i look gross or something. people have ACTUALLY said ewww you look gross because i am too thin.. well i have had medical issues in the past and this is the result but none of those issues had to do with being anorexic in fact i eat more than my brotherinlaw quite often haha. I had a lady come up to me at the gas station when i was pumping gas and tell me that she could help me with being anorexic and i wasnt alone and how she use to do it too but she hosted a support group and wanted to help me blah blah blah.. and when i told her nicely that i didnt need help and wasnt anorexic she didnt beleive me and insisted i have her number. i was so insulted. but whatever. at least she cared i guess. but anyways my point is a agree with singingmysong as well ! sorry my post was so long.

banana

You have to also remember that a lot of the new runway models are like, 15. I looked like that when I was 15 and ate like a horse. The older you get, the more you have to work at it though I'm glad that I was finally able to put on some weight.

BettieBloodshed

Yeah..its kinda sad.
They are under a lot of pressure.
Gwen Stefani, during the first 3 cds of No Doubt was about 135-140 lbs. And she is 5'6''
Now she weighs about 115 they say. That's fine...but I was so happy when she weighted as much as I do at that height..I am happy when people meet their goals, but it isnt healthy to be too skinny, even naturally.

moonrevel

I think that the problem here is the message advertising sends young girls via these models. Drug problems and eating disorders aside, a lot of these models are built the way they are because that's how their bodies are genetically. Everyone carries their weight differently (I'm 5'2" 105lbs and wear a size 6 because I carry most of my weight in my hips, so I don't look particularly skinny compared to other girls of comperable weight and height). A lot of models are built this way and have metabolisms (again, drugs and eating disorders aside) to keep them looking the way they do. But, in truth, not everyone can look like that, no matter how much they exercise or what they eat, so it breeds a lot of psychological problems and eating disorders in girls who see these models, who are billed as having "the ideal figure" in advertising, and feel pressure to try to look like that. Many of us know why they have to look like that or what makes them capable of looking like that, but many girls can't rationalize it that way. I don't think the advertising industry consciously is out to breed a class of anorexic teenage girls, but that's what's happened. I don't know what the solution is, but I think we have to at least acknowledge that the side effect of the pervasiveness of this kind of modeling is young girls with unrealistic expectations for how they should look engaging in quite unhealthy behavior to try to reach an ideal that their bodies can't handle. Okay, armchair psychologist rant over. Just had to get that off my chest.

PnkCosmo

Quote:
( I write this as I am wolfing down a heaping bowl of KD)

What's KD?
oh.gif
ops:

Quote:
Maybe they just look smaller b/c they are wayyyyy taller than me and they look stretched out?
lol.gif

I think a lot of it has to do with their height. I'm 5'3" and look pretty curvy at a size 6/8 (depending on brand). Now, someone that is 5'10" and a size 6 is usually a heck of a lot thinner than I am. They also don't have my tummy!
lol.gif

A lot of those Runway models could easily be a size 4. It's just b/c they are so tall. Sharon Stone has said that she's a size 6 and she looks waaay thinner than me b/c of how tall she is.

Onederland

To me, sizes means nothing to how fat you are.

You could be a size 10, but you could just be tall and muscular. That doesn't make you fat.

And vice versa.

PrettyKitty

I don't think I can wear the same size as someone who wear 6. And she can't wear 3 like me even if she is taller, but yes she can if we have the SAME waist.

But if we have the same weight and she is taller, she will be less fat than me.

The size could be different from another brand, too.

Shawna

PinkCosmo, KD is kraft dinner! Yum! It's a staple in my house. Of course, my son actually calls it macaroni so I guess I should call it that too.