How to Deal

Ladies tell me how do you deal with people who ask you "Why do you wear makeup"? and then they go on to say "you're pretty without it". Do you ever get offended?

V15U4L_3RR0R

I tell them it's because I enjoy the act of putting it on and it's just another form of self expression and I think it makes you more aware of your body and your features.

MAC_Whore

I tell them it is because I enjoy it. Then I ask them, "Why do you cut your hair?"

IMO, the only thing that could be considered offensive if someone asked me about my makeup is the presumption of others that their opinion matters in how I adorn my body. It's my body, my choice. Simple as that. I can't imagine anyone I know even asking me that.

nunu

I say thank you and then i say i enjoy wearing make up its makes me happy and by wearing it i'm expressing myself
smiles.gif

Dark_Phoenix

I tell them I think it's a form of art and my face is the canvas.
Make-up, to me, is a form of self expression that translates in to physical beauty.

User49

It's a creative vent. And I like playing with make up. I don't get people who don't like to wear any make up. I think sometimes 'really, you don't even want to put on just a little teeny tiny bit?'... 'to cover up those dark circles, make you look less boring perhaps?' I just don't get em. I have a love affair with make up. It's fun stuff! I always think it's funny also how one persons idea of a night look is another's day look!
winks.gif

~Valerie~

I just tell them it's something I enjoy and do purely for my own satisfaction. Most of these people aren't out to offend you when they say these things, they just don't think about it and are ignorant in regards to thinking of make-up as a hobby. I actually enjoy getting the chance to explain to someone how I got addicted and maybe get them interested in the process.
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Just tell them thank you but that you enjoy wearing makeup.

Why do you wear makeup? An honest usually settles everything; I tell them that I enjoy it.

jillianjiggs

re: you are pretty without it.

i take it as a compliment, but sometimes a backhanded one. are they saying i look BAD with it on? and it also says that they assume i wear it because i don't think i am pretty, so an insecurity thing. but that's being negative, i think.

kimmy

i hate it when people say "you're pretty without it," because honestly, they don't know so i know it's just a kind gesture and has no real truth to it. the last guy i dated wasn't a fan of makeup at all and always told me "you look good without it," even though he'd never actually seen me without it.

when people ask me why...i usually say "the same reason you have your ears pierced," or "the same reason you wear your hair that way."

TangoMango

When people say 'you're pretty without it.' I ask them, 'So I look ugly with it on?' And then I listen to them stammer for a bit. Sometimes it gets a bit nerve racking. So what if I want to come to school in a full face of makeup? I really don't understand people who have to make an issue out of what I put on MY face. Not even my parents care, so why should they?

Oh man, I can't stand those who will insist that you are trying to hide something! Most people that I know that wear makeup don't have anything to hide, we just genuinely like wearing makeup for the fun of it!

flowerhead

yes i get this frequently...i just tell them their presence is boring me so could they please stop talking to me!

gracetre123

well, I tell them thank you...and just that I really love and enjoy to try diferents looks everyday...

but the question that really bothers me, is why I purchase expensive brands?? I live in Mexico, so here we have brands like Jaffra and Avon wich are pretty goods, I have some nice eyeshadows from them... but you know once you try Mac, EL or any other high end brand you don´t look back!!....I just said that it´s a much better quality..IMO

liv

I get this too. That, and "You don't look that much different with it on." Well, thanks, I guess, but I'm not trying to look like a completely different person using makeup, I just think I look nicer with a little color on my face, and I just plain like taking 10-15 minutes in the morning putting it on. It's akin to wearing perfume, IMO.

gracetre123, I totally agree, my sister used to harp on me all the time about buying MAC, Stila, etc, when she had no problem dropping a couple hundred on a monogram Coach bag (I happen to hate Coach monogram purses and think they are tacky, but I keep my opinion to myself because I know that she gets joy out of it). I took her to MAC earlier this year for the Barbie collection, and now she's hooked and has quite a nice small stash. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracetre123
well, I tell them thank you...and just that I really love and enjoy to try diferents looks everyday...

but the question that really bothers me, is why I purchase expensive brands?? I live in Mexico, so here we have brands like Jaffra and Avon wich are pretty goods, I have some nice eyeshadows from them... but you know once you try Mac, EL or any other high end brand you don´t look back!!....I just said that it´s a much better quality..IMO

Until you're begging people for money, how you spend your money is your own damn business. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but when people start getting involved in other people's financial business- it really irks me.

You purchase what you purchase because you like it. You think it's quality stuff. It's not that complicated.

When some "friend" got on my case about purchasing expensive makeup, I pointed out where her money goes. Eating out, going to clubs, not working during the summer. Add it up. You could have a nice collection of makeup if you channeled that money elsehwere

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Until you're begging people for money, how you spend your money is your own damn business. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but when people start getting involved in other people's financial business- it really irks me.

You purchase what you purchase because you like it. You think it's quality stuff. It's not that complicated.

When some "friend" got on my case about purchasing expensive makeup, I pointed out where her money goes. Eating out, going to clubs, not working during the summer. Add it up. You could have a nice collection of makeup if you channeled that money elsehwere

Yeah, I totally agree. Unless I have a dependent, or I'm married and have a joint bank account (not that marriage is the only factor, but I think knowing what the other one spends money on, approx how much is important when you have car/house/etc payments, and of course if you both work, if you have kids, etc, but I digress), it's really none of your damn business how much I spend on my makeup. I have a friend, and she was in my room and she liked one of my lipglosses and it was one that I barely touched, and I told her she could have it if she really liked it, and she said, "Holy crap, though, it's Revlon, that must have been freaking expensive!" To me, Revlon is not expensive, but it's all relative to what that person's price point is. You aren't a better person because you use drugstore makeup instead of dept. store, or vice versa. It's all about your priorities and what's important to you.

I don't like being told I can "get the same thing in the drugstore" because frankly, I don't agree for the most part. And I know this sounds stupid to them, but having pretty makeup in pretty packaging and having it all look cute and match in my makeup bag is a huge part of the "luxury" of makeup. Sure, I could maybe get a similar look using L'oreal or what have you, but knowing that I am pampering myself a bit using a $14 MAC eyeshadow is a guilty pleasure, and is one I don't plan on giving up because someone else thinks it's stupid. It's MY money, thankyouverymuch.

/rant over.

Bernadette

I've actually never had anyone say this to me. I would just tell them that I like it and leave it at that. I do have people ask me why I got all of my tattoos and am I going to get more, as if they were some kind of accident like I just fell on them and they stuck to me. My co-workers husband who is a tattoo artist gave me the best response I have ever heard to something like that... "Don't judge me because I'm free."
Kind of goes to the makeup too, don't judge me because I do what I want, look how I want, wear what I want etc...

CandyKisses1018

i get so offended! I say " have you seen me without makeup? i think not " then they usually say " you look the same".. then i'll say "yea? why does it matter if i wear it or not?if you think im beautiful either way then it doesn't matter"